In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

26 hrs and 45 mins

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
26 hrs, 45 mins and counting....til I get to change my signature here....woo hoo!
SGT idsman75, U.S. ARMY

Comments

• William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As you seem happy about the fact we can assume you were not busted down. I look forward to seeing the change and congrats.
  • Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    Congrats!!!!! Enjoy that pay raise! When do you jump year catagories? That's also a nice bump, as long as you are in front of the curve.
    Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!
  • OtomanOtoman Member Posts: 554
    edited November -1
    Congratulations Sarge! Best Wishes.Auto
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I won't get the next time-in-service pay raise until April of 2003 but I'll still be happy with close to $200/month extra.
  • sandman2234sandman2234 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh heck, I thought you were referring to be a short-timer.
    Have Gun, will travel
    edited November -1
    Nah. I have 15 years left.....15 years to go from E-6 to E-9! Hah!Then again, it would be an embarrassment to retire as an E-5.[This message has been edited by idsman75 (edited 01-31-2002).]
  • whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Idsman:In the Air Force, they used to have an Up or Out policy. Do they still do that or did they ever in the Army?You should be able to get from 6 to 9 in 15 years. I did it in 9. Congrats on the promotion.Clouder..
    edited November -1
    Idsman:In the Air Force, they used to have an Up or Out policy. Do they still do that or did they ever in the Army?You should be able to get from 6 to 9 in 15 years. I did it in 9. Congrats on the promotion.Clouder..
    edited November -1
    whiteclouder--The "Up or Out" policy is called Retention Control Point or something of that nature. Back in the day you had to make E-5 in like 5 or 6 years and E-6 in 10 years or else be shown the way out the door. Now you can retire as a promotable E-5. That pension would absolutely suck. If I am successful at recruiting they would offer me a bribe to convert over to the dark side and be a permanant recruiter instead of returning to my primary MOS when my three-year recruiting tour is up. They offer E-7 and somewhere close to $20,000. For a married guy with a family, that's a HUGE incentive. I'm single and plan on staying that way until I am retired. Then I want to marry me a sweet ol' lady about my age who is a magician in the kitchen and is pleasant to spend time with. Hence, I will probably return to my previous MOS and hopefully take over the Military Police Investigations office at Fort Drum, NY. I'm sure I won't stay there forever but I'd like to retire while at Fort Drum and take up the Director of Emergency Services on his previous job offer that he gave me before I left. I'd like to do 20 years there as a Federal Police something-or-other because I like the people and I like soldiers and I love the hunting in upstate NY. By the time I'm 62 I'll hopefully be drawing pensions from two separate retirements and be living the simple life with old friends. It's just a thought. Who knows what tomorrow will bring. "Three and Flee" was my mindset when I initially enlisted. Two re-enlistments later and I'm thinking about a career. Everyone that I talk to that has served seems to be telling me that they wish they had stayed in and retired. I just don't want any regrets.
  • TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congratulations SSG. Now you can afford more guns & ammo. You may not like it where you are at, but the rank wouldn't have come that quickly if you had stayed around here.Trinity+++
    edited November -1
    Well, I will keep you informed if Keith leaves, and the NCOIC job comes open, but for taking over the entire office? Your going to have to wait until I retire (10 years), or die, which ever comes first. By the way, your going to have to wait in line behind Keith, Bob, Tom, Mike, and the many more that were told the same thing by the same person, who by the way will be long gone before you retire!Trinity+++
    edited November -1
    idsman:Your situation is what mine was. I have just finished 21 in my second career and will be eligible to retire next year with four pensions, Lockheed Corp, SS, USAF, and my 401. I intend to spend the last 20 years of my life writing and dozing.I had a motto when I was in and the promotions were tight, 'If there's one, IT'S MINE. That worked. Stick with it, we need to keep a solid core of experience in the military. Your's is invaluable, don't think for a minute it's not.Clouder..
  • pops401pops401 Member Posts: 616 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two things. Idsman, CONGRATS. Wish I had done it 35 years ago when I had the chance. Back then the future was not as pronounced as it is now.Clouder, what do you mean 20 years? You'll be around agrivating us long after that!
    edited November -1
    TrinityScrimshaw--I was more or less fantasizing. I'm sure I'll do at least 20 with the Army. After my last stint at Ft. Drum, I realized that NY's laws may be frustrating but I would LOVE to go back. I'm sure you-know-who says that to a lot of people and he will probably be long gone by the time I'm retired. I have a lot more experience to gain and a lot more learning to do before I could ever endeavor such a task. You better still be slaying turkeys when I consider moving back! P.S. I'm glad you read this post. It sort of feels like telling the CSM that one of your long-term career goals involves having HIS job someday while being interviewed at a promotion board. However, I was referring to 7-K's job--not yours. [This message has been edited by idsman75 (edited 02-01-2002).]
    edited November -1
    If your ever back up this way during the month of may besure and look me up, I still owe you that bird.Trinity+++