In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Help me find some *old* artillery items, please!

IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
Friends, I posted this also under 'wants' but decided to double team things in case some of you don't go there.I am in desperate need of some old big bore artillery material from the Spanish-American War era or USN torpedo materials WW1 and earlier. I realize this is not something everyone has close at hand, but I am asking you make a note of this and keep your eyes open at your local shows / flea markets / for sale ads / whatever. I need this for trading material. There's a gent that has a very rare US military experimental round which would be the crown jewel of my collection. He won't sell it, only trade, even though it is 'puny' for his tastes. The casings might not be brass, especially in larger bores, but canvas &/or wood. At shows, exhibitors typically stick these *under* the tables. It doesn't have to be pristine, but cannot be trench art. I would gladly pay a finder's fee if you should discover the "magic bullet" [grin]. I'm asking you to make a note in your 'tickle file' and if you should stumble across something like this - inert, of course - to contact me w/ the details. Deepest thanks in advance, Iconoclast

Comments

• Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    Try doing a dealer search for a seller with the handle of Dragon49. He seems to have all sorts of neat arty stuff, and IF I recall correctly, he even listed a 155mm towed artillery piece!
    Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, Matt. Can you confirm the user name for me? Did a search here, the other Arms site & ebarf, only place I found that name was the last. Do you know where this fellow 'hangs his hat?'[This message has been edited by Iconoclast (edited 02-01-2002).]
    edited November -1
    Icono-Dang man, I looked myself for a while last night and could not find him...dropped off of the face of GB???? I last saw one of his auction's in Dec. Dunno what's up.I also forgot, in the WWII there is a guy who posts alot of WW II trench art, training devices, expended shells, and other older military curios. He may have somthing you are looking for.Search for seller using:user825689@aol.com I'm sure of this one!!!
    Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!![This message has been edited by Matt45 (edited 02-01-2002).]
  • RedlegRedleg Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Iconoclast,As a professional Artilleryman, I am always on the lookout for some curios from the King of Battle. So far, my collection includes:A (inert) M-107 HE 155mm ProjectileA 6-foot lanyardA signed, limited edition print of Dale Gallon's Hazlett's Battery2 Brass 105mm casingsHere's what I am looking for:A 175mm "Long Tom" shell casing (millions were fired during Korea, so there should be a few around)A 5" (Naval) Shell CasingAn 8" ProjectileA 105mm projectileIf you see anything of the likes, give me a holler, and I'll do the same for you!Brian
    Captain, United States Army Field Artillery[This message has been edited by Redleg (edited 02-01-2002).]
  • pops401pops401 Member Posts: 616 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try SHOTGUN NEWS. I've seen some of those things advertised in there.
    edited November -1
    Capt. Brian, I will fwd your want list to a good buddy who has enough ordnance - if it were live - to refight the the Inchon Landing. He's been collecting for 40+ years and has a wide range of collecting buddies including present and former EODs. He's the fellow who plugged me into this deal . . . but he doesn't have the specimens I need to get the item I want. Believe me, if what you want is available (and I'd bet it is, because I helped another fellow pick up some 5" shells through him - the only stuff hard to find is pre-WW2 or particularly exotic experimentals), he'll know where to get it. He is strictly pre-electronic, so I will need to give you guys each other's address off the BBS - you can contact me directly at tcg25@hotmail.com - now, as I recall you are stationed in So. CA? If so, believe me, you are *very* close to some of the very best sources for what you seek, and he will be able to tell you where to go. Better take a very large truck . . . you will find a lot more than is on your list![This message has been edited by Iconoclast (edited 02-01-2002).]
    edited November -1
    Pops, Thanks. I'll try there. I don't subscribe any more, but will check w/ the local shop.
    edited November -1
    Matt, thanks again. BTW, Dragon49 on ebarf says there's a Dragon_49 there who does militaria. I've not had time to check this variation of the name on any site, but possibly this is why things went wrong the first time.
    edited November -1
    K', wasn't sure if he did E-barf or not.....he had some really neat old vintage stuff here, sealed WW II LSA, WW II Nazi grease, a Claymore firing device, ect, ect
    Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!