In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Worst Rifle you ever owned???

WyomingSwedeWyomingSwede Member Posts: 402 ✭✭✭
edited January 2002 in General Discussion
What is the worst rifle you ever owned...and what did you do with it??? Mine was a Winchester Black Shadow Model 70 in 30-06. Could not get that rifle to shoot straight no matter what I did. Checked the bedding, free floated it, tried shimming...the works. Would not group. Took it in to the gunsmith , he noticed that the barrel was actually drilled off center. The center of the barrel was slightly off center. When the barrel heated up, it expanded and got worse. I was so disgusted that I traded it off on a couple mausers. Someone else can have that POS. Anyway..anyone else with a story???regards swede
WyomingSwede

Comments

• 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    Savage 99E in .243. About the best it would group was 12" at 100 yards. (from the bench)Traded it off
    I Refuse to be a VictimGrumpy old man[This message has been edited by 22WRF (edited 01-30-2002).]
  • old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    Ruger bolt action.Not one,but several.Never could get one to group.What did i do with them? Sold them damn cheap.Switched to Rem. 700 and never looked back.I'll admit i haven't tried one in about 15--20 years.Don't want to either.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    El Tigre spanish copy of the 92 Winchester looked beautiful shot terrible and after taking it apart and seeing the poorly made parts, I sold it.
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How do you spell 7.35 Carcano? Best deal I ever made, bought the rifle & three sealed cases of ball ammo for $50 circa 1980. Shot 500 or so rounds, decided that it was deadly inside of 25 feet, sold the rifle w/ four boxes of ammo for $100 and put the ammo away for the future. It's worked out pretty well - I sold over 150 boxes of ammo for $10 to $20 bucks and the clips from the ammo I shot bring $2-$3 each. Best $50 I ever invested, but the rifle wouldn't group inside of a barn door.
  • 7mm_ultra_mag_is_king7mm_ultra_mag_is_king Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Old savage bolt action 30-30, couldnt hit the broad side of a barn with it. I don't know what was worst though, the rifle or the cal.
    when all else fails........................
  • hunter280manhunter280man Member Posts: 705
    edited November -1
    /////////bought a chec mouser in 7x57, Back when they were importing them in the early 80's, The dealer/friend ordered 5. All were for my family except one. It was for a friend of mine/his brother-in-law. When they came in the brother-in-law already picked his up! My family bought 4 useless peices of sh__! We then went about re-chambering them to .270s, I went to a .300win mag. Not only did it take another month of time, but my father and my cousin had me build theirs also. Then my father asked me to build his buddies for him! [NEVER SAW A SINGLE CENT FOR THE OTHER 3] I then sold mine for $400. I was so "pissed".
    The Buck Stops Here...
  • One shotOne shot Member Posts: 1,027
    edited November -1
    I think the worst piece of junk I have ever had was a Raptor bolt action rifle in 30-06. Took this rifle in on trade for some work I did and got the short end of the stick. The thing would not group and faild to extrac some times due to a rough chamber. Metal finis was below standard. Ended up giving it away. I think the gent I gave it to got the short end of the stick even if the gun ws free.
    "This we will defend"
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    A long time ago, I bought a used Daisy .22 kid rifle for my kids to use. It would fire about every third time. I contacted Daisy. They were very apologetic and said that the rifle was one of a special run they made up for Wal Mart, and they had a lot of trouble out of them. They offered me $45.00 to send it back to them. I only had $30.00 in it, so I sent it back. Later I found the same rifle resurrected as the Jennings Junior.
    Certified SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of the General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the premier gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net Jesus is Lord!
  • Miss. CreantMiss. Creant Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not a rifle but a shotgunRemminton 870 Express. Jammed every 2nd shell no matter what. Every single time the action was pumped it jammed. Only time it would fire was with the 1st shell put in by hand. Finish was so crappy it actually melted off one day in the sun. Left the bare wood. I got my money from the 870 class action suit a few years ago and sold it.
  • sig-mansig-man Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington 742 Woodmaster worst p.o.s. gun Remington ever made, on a side note , I once got a Ruger GP100 .357 that the frame drilled off center, the barrel was actually 1/16 off the center line at the muzzle...
  • Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    A Sako chambered for .223, which, as it turned out had a bent barrel. The guy I bought it from wouldn't take it back. Never bought a thing from his store ever again. Finally sold to a guy who wanted to convert it to a pistol. (?) Whatever Bub, got my money back out of it, transferred the deal through an FFL holder and never looked back.As far as all the guns I've owned? I suppose it's a neck and neck race between the Sako and a .380 AMT DAO "Back-UP". The AMT would misfire 2 times in every 5 round mag, no matter the ammo, temp, shooter ect. Replaced the firing pin, hammer, trigger spring ect. No luck. traded it for a Universal .30 Carbine. (Oooooooooo, watta good trade THAT was....)[This message has been edited by Matt45 (edited 01-30-2002).]
  • will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    American Arms 45-70 Falling block rifle. Can you say junk? I knew you could. I traded it for a pair of Remington 597's 1 LR and 1Mag. I even told the guy it wouldn't hit a hog in the * at 3 paces and he still wanted it. What a shmuck.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, take it to a mechanic. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • RUGERNUT3RUGERNUT3 Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    EASY!! A .22 semi from Sears..about 35 years ago..Ted Williams I think. From the first round...it jammed. Owned it for about a year...out of that time it spent prob. 10 motnhs in for repairs...never got fixed. Sold it for 10 bucks in a garage sale...will never forget that pc. of crap//the first .22 I ever owned..think I was about 10 when my mom bought it for me....
    "ANY" EXCUSE IS A GOOD REASON TO BUY "JUST 1 MORE".& VICIE-VERSIE!
  • dhdh Member Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington 7400 in 30-06.Had a Simmons 6.5 x 20 x 50mm scope on it and no matter where I was in the field I could never hit anything with it and every time I fired it the bolt would jam.I sold it for 300 bucks.
  • royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had two: Mas 49/56 in .308 and a Armalite 180. Two of the worst pieces of junk ever invented by man.
  • YankeeClipperYankeeClipper Member Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good to see some one else got rid of his 99E
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington 700.Would not group.would not extract half the time.Sent it back to the factory for repairs and the service department treated me like I had offended thier grandmother.Since that experience Savage and Ruger have gained a loyal customer.
  • oldfriendsoldfriends Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .22 Viper, whowever made it. What a piece of work
  • Richie RichRichie Rich Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    oldfriends beat me to it, dito on the viperit jammed all the time and something broke also. WHAT a piece of JUNK.
    Remember,"your woman may not find you handsome, But atleast she'll find ya handy". I love that show..............
  • Judge DreadJudge Dread Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A PPS22 50 Italian made junk, was full auto from the factory a badly designed sear and trigger part. Got it in a bad trade!