In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

No skool today!

BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
edited January 2002 in General Discussion
Heavy snow today, heavy freezing rain tomorrow!Wheeeee! Of course, this means I cant go shooting. This is a day best spent in front of the computer, methinks.Question:I've got about $500 coming to me from a combination of things, including my tax refund.Should I buy:1) A good condition SKS and a new SAR-12) A Savage bolt-action .30-06 w/scope package3) A Remington 710 bolt-action .30-06 w/scope package (and bank the difference)

Comments

• Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Didn't you say you were 18 years old?Why are you still in High school,if you don't mind me asking?
  • hunter280manhunter280man Member Posts: 705
    edited November -1
    Good question, Maay I suggest a change of calliber, maybe.. .280 sounds good.
  • Gordian BladeGordian Blade Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure, they closed the secondary schools. But I still have to teach my class today. Then I have an afternoon meeting across town. Same snow conditions, but real life must go on. I know you guys are all for "American" vehicles, but I'm glad I have a Subaru today.PS - I have a son who just turned 18 and is a senior in high school, so it's not unusual. He gets to sleep in today!
  • Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get yourself a Remington 700ADL, synthetic stock, caliber of your choice and a fair scope and enjoy a fine shooting unit. The 710 is Remingtons worst endeavor of late.
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    Like Gordian said. I turned 18 in December, and I dont graduate until June.
  • simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
    I think the Savage/Scope package would be a better deal than the Rem.I thought you already had an SK? 'Course you can never have too many.Josey, I turned 18 in Dec. of my Senior year.
  • AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hell, I was working for a living at 18. What's with the no-school-due-to-weather? We would have WANTED to be in school so we could keep warm! After walking 4 miles to school in the snow, uphill, with newspaper clogging up the hole in my one shoe, carrying my one raw potato that was my lunch for the week, we were HAPPY to get into the schoolhouse.You kids are too pampered. Get a job.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    Don't get mad now! I think it would be wise to buy a CD and I don't mean music. When you get enough in the bank- you can borrow against it and get that rifle later. Sorry!- I'm talking like a "parent".
  • hunter280manhunter280man Member Posts: 705
    edited November -1
    Hey antiqueDr Did you grow up with my dad? Oh..wait..sorry my dad went uphill both ways! Now I remember!!
    The Buck Stops Here...
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AntiqueDr--Did you have to carry your band instrument to school too? Mine was a piano.
    edited November -1
    Didn't have to walk home uphill. Had to walk uphill to the damn bathroom though.Couldn't afford no band instrument. Chopped up the pi-anee for kindlin' wood, made rabbit traps out of the wires.We did finally get a car, though. Couldnt afford gas so then we had to push that damn thing uphill to school. Took longer, so we ended up having to wake up two hours before we went to bed the night before, take a couple of licks off the potato for breakfast, do rock-paper-scissors to see who got to wear the shoe, then start out.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
    edited November -1
    Why, I remember walking the railroad tracks to school about 2.5 miles in all weather. I didn't mind, in fact, I enjoyed it! Found a lot of neat rocks and junk on the way. Would take the.22 on off school days along those tracks and hunt rabbits. Just tie the .22 to the handlebars of the bike and off I'd go. Do that today and the police would be all over you! Times do change!
    edited November -1
    You guys are killing me!!!
    edited November -1
    I remember when we finally got old enough to go sparkin'. We'd get a good running start pushin' that old car to get past the big chughole by the gate, then it was downhill all the way to town.Of course, we only dated big women. Them skinny ones weren't worth a hoot at pushin' the car home. Wasn't that bad, though; them big 'uns could really lick a potato!
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com [This message has been edited by AntiqueDr (edited 01-31-2002).]
    edited November -1
    Uphill both ways? Bah! I had to CLIMB both ways! You had to get a big ol' stick in one had to beat off the vultures n' chicken-hawks with while you climbed with the other!Took me a long time to save up 'nuff pennies for that stick!We didnt have money for clothes back then neither. We had to knit them ourselves out of belly-button lint we begged from the neighbors! Didnt have no washing machines to wash our school clothes in neither! We had to go down to the stream n' wash em!Rocks hadnt been invented yet, either! We had to beat the clothes with our heads to get em clean!Didnt have no pens r' pencils to write with. We had to prick our fingers with a pin and write in blood!And there was only one pin in the school to go around, so we had to share!"Hey! Pass the pin!"[This message has been edited by Bullzeye (edited 01-31-2002).]
  • Rob3448Rob3448 Member Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thing daddo has the best idea. put the money in a cd. I am in my mid 20's and by the time you are my age your money will have doubled. my dad said the same thing to me when i was 18 i wish i would have done it. insted i bought a gun for 300 dollars and sold it last week for 300 dollars. good adavice daddo
  • Rob3448Rob3448 Member Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think daddo has the best idea. put the money in a cd. I am in my mid 20's and by the time you are my age your money will have doubled. my dad said the same thing to me when i was 18 i wish i would have done it. insted i bought a gun for 300 dollars and sold it last week for 300 dollars. good adavice daddo
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There will never be too much snow to go shooting!!! All that white makes it easier to see the orange targets. Snow balls make great plinking targets. Enjoy it Bullzeye, my little town 25 miles west of Rochester, has an inch of ice on everything. I still have to go into work. The fun part will be coming home after midnight when the salt truck drivers are sleeping. WOODS
    edited November -1
    I wrote a song while I was sitting in my bathrobe, looking for something for lunch.Ahem.To the tune of "Let it Be".
    When my stomach rumbles at just about noontime, cabinet's empty, I'm in a jam....Potted meat sensation. Can of Spam....Then I notice way in the back of the cupboard, hiding behind a can of Pam....Packaged pure perfection. Can of Spam....Oh, Can of Spam....Can of Spam....Can of Spam....Can of Spam....Bounces just like rubber, Can of Spam....(copyright Bullzeye, 2002. All rights reserved)
    God my life is pathetic.
  • XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    Ahhhh....yer all a bunch softies!Why, I remember onct back in the last century.....
  • CAndres35CAndres35 Member Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You guys are killing me. i only had to walk a mile and a half along them rr tracks. i took my shotgun and hid it in the weeds so i could hunt on the way home to have somthing to go with those taters and dandilion greens. i shot just about anything that moved at that time.Rabbit, squirrel, *, muskrat,possum,doves etc. by the way i hit the biggest * i think i ever saw on the way home the other night. thing must have wayed 30-35 lb. i have to large bowels of meat and the hide is drying.i agree with the cd or there are some great buys in the stock market right now and who knows you may learn somthing about how the economy works if you do the research to find out what to buy. there are some nice mutual funds out there that you can invest in to get the diversifacation you need and no brokerage fees. the snow was ahole deep . nad cold on the barefeet,but the animals coudnt run very fast in the snow. carl
    edited November -1
    If you want to invest your money, why not buy up some pre-ban stuff. Or almost any quality firearm for that matter. Of course, the bans may be lifted and the prices bottom out or your stuff may get stolen, but there are risks with any and all investments.Or how 'bout investing it in an education. Maybe something in computers.
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You had a shoe?
    "If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?" Will Rogers
    standard.jpg
  • RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    While I grew up on the other side of the tracks from Antique Dr,....I got my dividend checks and trust allotments when I was 6, bought my first Bentley at 16, and invested in 300 shares of "Class A Berkshire Hathaway Stock" before I turned 17.....I do remember speeding by some of you on my way to the private boarding school, couldn't help but wonder how some of you could lug piano's, wear one shoe, lick potato's....and still become High School graduate's. Adversity builds character.....my derby is off to you men of character......
    edited November -1
    Does anyone remember the original question? BULLZEYE- what are you going to do?
  • OtomanOtoman Member Posts: 554
    edited November -1
    Bullzeye. I would do one of 2 things buy a good quality Norinco AK-47 if you want that type of rifle. If you decide to invest the money now would probably be a good time. If you by the Motley Fools books it will tell you how to go about making good stock investments. If you decide to buy a good AK Call Dan at 303 341-0847 he will set you straight on the different versions of AK's. Tell him Russ sujested you call him! don't by a simiauto rifle you will be sorry about later....
  • competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a good compromise.Buy Sturm, Ruger and Co. stock!It's trading around $12 a share (symbol RGR on the NYSE).When the company reports its earnings for their fiscal year, the stock may move into the $15 range. Earnings should be good--the events of Sept. 11th and the rebates Ruger was offerring are likely to have driven sales higher. And people are "fed-up" with the Enron's and Global Crossing's of this world; investors are looking for good solid companies, with no debt, no fancy accounting, and a good dividend yield.The dividend yield right now on Ruger is better than the return you'll get on most CDs!
    edited November -1
    Bullzeye, Check out item #3040799 on the auction site. It is a Norinco MAK-90 with the buy it now feature for 400.00 which means that you may be able to buy it for less than that. Even @ $400.00 that is a decent price, when the Romanians are going for 350.00...It is my understanding that there will be no more norinco's imported as the Chinese are only making fully automatics now.
  • jetjet Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "skool"maybe you should go.
  • jetjet Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    Bullzeye, did you take a look at that MAK-90 on Gunbroker. I can tell that you are just jumping up and down and tearing up your underwear to own one of those semi-auto import sporting rifles with a 30 round Magazine...What did you think of it?
    KIMBER: Pistol du jour