In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Got my first gun yesterday!!! WOOHOOO!!

CannonBallCannonBall Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
edited February 2003 in General Discussion
I got a remington 870 express, 12 guage, 26" barrell, synthetic stock. I'm so stoked I went shooting up in left hand canyon for anyone that knows the area. I'm just stoked and thought I'd post. Thanks!-Nate

Comments

• CAndres35CAndres35 Member Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dont get too carried away ther!!! that is a dangerous weapon not a toy. i dont know you and you might be the safest person in the world but seemed like an awful lot of exuberance. have fun be safe and may you get many more in your lifetime. CARL
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    How old are you, pardner?That 12-gauge is a little robust for a first time shooter. I'd recommend you bring along an experienced shooter to give you tips.You being as new to shooting as you are, the recoil from the 12-ga. could end up making you develop a flinch that will throw off your aim for a long time.
  • robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well well, I'm 35, and I get to feeling the same way every time I get a new gun too, its nice to see someone with my enthusiasm. Thats a nice gun you have, I'm sure you'll enjoy it for a long time. A word of advice, dont ever sell that first gun, I wish I had my first gun, out of sentimental feelings, nothing more, but I wish I had it. Welcome to the shooters club! Rob.
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • muleymuley Member Posts: 1,583 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stoked??......far out! I mean, I must be getting old. Anyway, robsguns gave you the best advice I ever heard. Never, ever, sell one of your guns. Expecially your first ones. If you sell one, that's one less then you will ever have. Have fun and I wish I could go back 40 years and join you.muley
  • Gordian BladeGordian Blade Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm kind of hesitant to say this. I can hear the derisive laughter in my imagination. But here goes: I know just how you feel because I got my first real firearm (airguns don't count) a few months ago at age 50. OK, everybody, stop laughing now. Just think of the fun I'm going to have with the combination of the same thrills you guys got at age 13 or 16 or whatever, but I get to do it with all the rights and resources of an adult. Think of it as having saved up from 21-49 to get the firearm(s) you really want. So there!
  • Zorny5Zorny5 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gordian Blade...that is great that you still get those feelings. I had the same feeing when I BORROWED a Remington .222 off my uncle to shoot ground hogs. I like that gun so much I don't want to give it back. Buying or getting a new gun is about as great as shooting your first deer or any other animal with that firearm...I wouldn't trade it for anything.
  • 218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Zorny,I don`t blame ya..I`d love to have that rifle!!CannonBall,good choice!! That 870 will outlast us all...and the 26 inch barrel is a great all around length! .218
    Did somebody say somethin` about bees?
  • CannonBallCannonBall Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've shot a lot, this is just my first gun that's mine. Some of my best friends are real big gun enthusiasts and I've been shooting with them a lot lately, mostly handguns though. I have shot shotties before, not as much though but this is what I wanted. I know proper gun safty, I'm VERY VERY VERY careful I could probably use some help and tips for shooting. I'm just shooting skeet now to try and get better. Any tips on that? -Nateedit: I'm 18 by the way and I'm 6' 250, I don't think it's too much for me. I've shot 20 guage and 12 guage and just wanted the 12. I'm really excited, but I'm not gonna run out and go shoot the first thing that moves. It's also snowing outside and I'm not SO excited that I'm gonna like throw skeet out of my apartment and try to plink em![This message has been edited by CannonBall (edited 01-31-2002).]
  • RUGERNUT3RUGERNUT3 Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Say Cannon,WELCOME.(Iguess)! Man you don't have ANY idea what you have done! One is TOO many ...and 100 aint enough! Yeah take the above advice and BE CAREFULL! Guns dont give second chances.....have fun(I know you will) but be safe man. Read,read, practice,practice! No question about guns is a stupid question...ask! Learn your gun inside and out, and the other ones that are surely to follow! Welcome to the "gunnut club".....
    "ANY" EXCUSE IS A GOOD REASON TO BUY "JUST 1 MORE".& VICIE-VERSIE!
  • sig-mansig-man Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    EVERYONE needs to have at least one Remington 870.If you happen to get another gun, don't leave it alone in close proximity with your 870, the multiply like rabbits, before you know it you will have an arsnenal, congratulations, have fun and be safe...
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    Cannonball, CONGRATULATIONS!! Good choice for a first gun!! Dependable and fun to shoot! BEEKEEP... Just got a clip for a Model 43 218 BEE by posting a want to buy on Gunbroker!! Thought you'd like to know someone else knows what a BEE is!!
  • OtomanOtoman Member Posts: 554
    edited November -1
    Cannonball Congratulations on your first gun. You can't beat the old 870 Wingmaster, I have 2 of them, a 12 ga. and a .410 beware you won't be able to stop buying them now that you have one of your own. Most of us can testify that it becomes an obsession to own more. Just be Carefull and learn the gun inside out. and If you haven't done it yet take the NRA Basic Handgun course and/or the young hunters safety course. I am 56 years old and we never get to old to learn or be reminded of the safety issues with firearms....Auto
    edited November -1
    Wow!!!Did somebody say somethin` about bees? Devastation,glad to hear it,I have a 43 too. .218
  • sealyonsealyon Member Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hard to go wrong with an 870. Be safe. Have fun. Treat the gun right and when you have a youngster of your own, same 870 could be his first gun........
  • REBJrREBJr Member Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hey GB- are you like the old guy on the york p'mint patty commercial? " I'm just glad I get a sensation!" -Ralph
  • niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cannonball, you sounded like me when i got my first gun. I got a Mossberg 12 gauge. I don't know whether to call it a big mistake or not, because I would be several thousand dollars richer right now if I hadn't started that itch.Aww who am I kidding? I'm d*** glad I got every one of my guns (minus the $50 Jennings) and would gladly buy them all over again. Since that first buy I've bought 2 new guns per year, plus ammo and accesories. Expensive but I love em all. The only way I can keep the missus at bay is by buying her one every now and then!
    NIKLASAL@hotmail.com
  • shiznut123shiznut123 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats great! Have fun! Im only 14 so I don't "legally" own a gun
  • CannonBallCannonBall Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, see my dad isn't into guns at all. He'll go shooting every now and then but just says he'll never own one and didn't want me to own one as long as I lived in his house. So when I left for college, I got one as soon as I turned 18, well and got a colorado license. Anyway, thanks a lot guys, I'm really happy about this! -Nate
  • varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great CannonBall.Never forget,Along with the joy of a gun, Comes the hevy cloke of responsability.Listen to all the advice that has been given, And start saving for the next one.
    A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.
  • 357357 Member Posts: 403 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Cannonball! I'm kind of like you haha. Well my circumstances are a bit different though. My dad grew up around guns too because of his dad who was a farmer, but he does not own any. Well, I'm going to move into my own place soon, but am a bit scared because there have been several burglaries etc. I don't know too much about guns, but I want to be able to protect myself. Then I found this site haha. I'm not really clear about all the laws about purchasing and possesion of firearms where I live (Texas). I'm only 19 years young, and I don't want to break the law! A-lot of people seem to recommend a 357 revolver for a first gun. Then some people say a shotgun, so I don't know what to think. [?] Well, I have an uncle who is a gun man so I'm sure he can help me. I don't want to carry concealed - just to have where I live in case I get an intruder. [;)] Do you guys think I should sign up for some classes about the basics etc ??

Thanks,
    DAve
    edited November -1
    I have a photography instuctor who I am good friends with. He says it's like an addiction (collecting guns), and I've talked to him about it too. The one thing I'm not really clear on is about purchase and possesion laws. It seems there are laws that say you have to be 18 to "posses" a firearm, then some that you have to be 21 years old to purchase. I'm just confused. Would it be legal for someone like my uncle to buy one for me, and then I could "posses" it? [:D][:D]
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Cannonball.... Congrats.... Classic still gets excited when he gets another gun and cant wait to take it to the range....As for me?... *LOL.... I am still in the "head in the clouds" stage when I get a gun... I own two ... first one being a gift from the members of this forum and means so much to me. Second one being a gift from hubby....

Remember though... no matter how excited you get... SAFETY FIRST, LAST AND ALWAYS.....

Cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Gordian Blade
    I'm kind of hesitant to say this. I can hear the derisive laughter in my imagination. But here goes: I know just how you feel because I got my first real firearm (airguns don't count) a few months ago at age 50. OK, everybody, stop laughing now. Just think of the fun I'm going to have with the combination of the same thrills you guys got at age 13 or 16 or whatever, but I get to do it with all the rights and resources of an adult. Think of it as having saved up from 21-49 to get the firearm(s) you really want. So there!

That's great! You're only as young as you feel. [;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BlackRoses
    Cannonball.... Congrats.... Classic still gets excited when he gets another gun and cant wait to take it to the range....As for me?... *LOL.... I am still in the "head in the clouds" stage when I get a gun... I own two ... first one being a gift from the members of this forum and means so much to me. Second one being a gift from hubby....

Remember though... no matter how excited you get... SAFETY FIRST, LAST AND ALWAYS.....

Cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion

Wow! Some nice folks here! I hope I can get some good advice. [:)]
  • robjacksrobjacks Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I GOT MY 870 TURKEY EXPRESS LAST SEASON,BUT I HAVE THE 24 INCH BARREL,YOU WILL LOVE THIS GUN,GOOD LUCK
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    357.....The people on the forum are wonderful, supportive, loving..and I know most dont want to hear that... *LOL... Stick around and you will see the generous nature of the people...
    Yes we will argue, feelings will get hurt, but for the most part you couldnt ask for a more wonderful group of friends....
    Classic and I have met some in person, talked to many more via phone, and hope to meet every one some day.... They all know the door is wide open for coffee and a meal....
    Stick around and this forum gets soooooooooo addictive.... *LOL

Cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • axlerfanaxlerfan Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cannonball......you in the Denver area by chance?
  • mousemouse Member Posts: 3,624
    edited November -1
    I know how you feel. Bought my first gun an old shotgun 16 ga.
    at an auction. Next I got a Sako 30-06 with a Leupold scope.
    I want a mini-ruger 14, a Taurus 357, and a Sako 7mm. next.
    I only bought the shotgun last fall. I take every opportunity
    to talk with people who can teach me more. I read on the
    internet, and look up gun companies, and models. Welcome
    to the love of firearms. Glad to see a young man who is
    interested. This is a great bunch of people.
  • magmag Member Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I got my first 12ga I used to go out shooting clays by myself when I couldn't find a bud that wanted to go. I would tie the trap release string to my right ankle [ rh'ed shooter } and blast away.

Just make sure you are not standing on the string when you go to cock the trap [:0] !!!!!!!!!!

You can do all sorts of variations. Two clays side by side. Two or three in one stack.

I found that it was good practice to do some dry-firing drills to get the pumping action to the point that it is an involuntary reaction.

I started out with auto's and dbls and when I got my first pump I didn't pump !!! I would be pulling the trigger for the second shot and nothing was happening. I didn't have someone to coach me and I ended up selling the gun. Later I bought a cheap Springfield and practiced with it until it was second nature. That gun fit me like a glove and I never should have let it get away.

I never shot any game with it but I did kill a LOT of black starlings that had a flyway right behind a shop I worked at. After about a week of this we started hearing other shooters a little farther down the flight path [:)]

I bought a Lee Load-all to reload all the hulls I was generating.

All the places we used to shoot now have houses on them[:(]

Enjoy yourself !!!!!
    Ray
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CannonBall
    I've shot a lot, this is just my first gun that's mine. Some of my best friends are real big gun enthusiasts and I've been shooting with them a lot lately, mostly handguns though. I have shot shotties before, not as much though but this is what I wanted. I know proper gun safty, I'm VERY VERY VERY careful I could probably use some help and tips for shooting. I'm just shooting skeet now to try and get better. Any tips on that? <BR>-Nate<BR>edit: I'm 18 by the way and I'm 6' 250, I don't think it's too much for me. I've shot 20 guage and 12 guage and just wanted the 12. I'm really excited, but I'm not gonna run out and go shoot the first thing that moves. It's also snowing outside and I'm not SO excited that I'm gonna like throw skeet out of my apartment and try to plink em!<p>[This message has been edited by CannonBall (edited 01-31-2002).]

Out of your apartment! [:D] [:D][:D]
    Those Taurus 357's do look nice. Also the colt python 357, but that is so $$$$$$$[xx(]

Dave
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CannonBall--Welcome to the forum! I shot my first gun in Basic Training. It was the M16A1. It wasn't quite the thrill I thought it would be because it was Basic Training. Then I went to college and met a gun enthusiast. He was my roommate and I got in touch with him a few months ago (for the first time since 1996). I told him about all of the guns that I acquired since we parted ways in 1996 and I felt like I was 20 years old again. My first gun was a NEF single-shot 12-guage shotgun. I regret selling it. KEEP THAT GUN! If you sell it you will regret it when you are 50 years old.

Your exuberance is reminiscient of the way I felt when I bought that first gun and used it to shoot at clays and pheasants in Iowa back in 1996. You've been bitten. Stop fighting it and go with the flow. You will acquire more guns in the future.
  • goldslammergoldslammer Member Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congratulations Cannonball, you made a great choice for a first gun. With everthing available for the 870 you can go from 26" bird gun to 18" extended mag riot gun to a fully rifled barrel deer gun w/scope. You couldn't have picked a better gun, have fun with it.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Left hand canyon is a pretty good place to shoot. There are a few trap/skeet ranges that are still open. Cherry Creek has one but you have to use light loads, no problem with that, but they will check your ammo.

Tips on skeet? Watch the clays when standing at the high house. I have been nailed (by busted pieces) in places I can not talk about here on this forum. [:0] [:D]

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • 101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Enjoy and shoot safely! Do not come up too quickly or you will
    get the bends! 101
    edited November -1
    Yeah,Cannonball...
    congratulations,

even though you haven`t
    been here for a whole year,

and won`t even
    be reading this[:(!]

• 4wheeler4wheeler Member Posts: 3,441
    edited November -1
    cannonball and 357,welcome to the forum. I am a few days from turning 50 and I still get excited over a new gun,thought it was normal. Be safe!

No one on either side of my family messes with guns but me,just do not know what went wrong with me[:D]

"It was like that when I got here,I think"
  • stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    Well,
    Welcome to you anyway .357!
    It appears cannonball has not been back for a while, I hope he didnt fall victim to that vicious, deadly firearm.
    Youre on the right track, a .357 revolver is a fine place to start.
    I recommend Ruger or Taurus for good value per dollar spent.
    My GP100 is quite pleasing to the eye and very accurate as well.
    Dont feel like you have to get it absolutely right the first time as Im sure there will be many purchases to follow.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by stanman
    Well,
    Welcome to you anyway .357!
    It appears cannonball has not been back for a while, I hope he didnt fall victim to that vicious, deadly firearm.
    Youre on the right track, a .357 revolver is a fine place to start.
    I recommend Ruger or Taurus for good value per dollar spent.
    My GP100 is quite pleasing to the eye and very accurate as well.
    Dont feel like you have to get it absolutely right the first time as Im sure there will be many purchases to follow.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions!

Thanks! So it would be ok for my uncle to buy for me then? Because it looks legal to posses, but not carry concealed. [:D] Hmm. I was thinking though...what if my apartment was burglarized when I wasn't there, and they stole my gun? [:(!] I wish I could afford a better place. Maybe if I found a roomate. [;)]

Dave
  • snake-eyessnake-eyes Member Posts: 869
    edited November -1
    Congrats on the new gun!

I got a new Mossberg yesterday...Wife has officially allowed me to buy one a month with my FFL...M1 is my next one.

Let's change the laws and quit bickering about them. One man CAN change the status quo.
  • WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Con Grats bet ya you have another one by the end of the year

If force ain't work'n... Your not use'n nough of it