In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

LEO's, Need some Assistance...................

Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
I decided to take the civil service exam for a local PD. Any pointers on what's generally on the exam and what I should bone up on?
Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!

Comments

• njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Don't ask me.........I even screwed up on your birthday -Charlie
    It's the stuff dreams are made of AngelNRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I took Charlotte, NC's test two summers ago. There was one very interesting portion of the test that consisted of two pages containing a large scene on a busy street corner. You had 3 minutes to scan the scene and then flip the page and answer questions about little details such as "What was the time on the clock tower?" and "How many people were at the bus stop?" It was pretty cool. I had previously heard about this type of test so I did well overall and they mailed me an application which I did not submit due to the recruiting orders that I had received. I would have had to turn down the recruiting orders and be subsequently barred from re-enlistment which would have been a big risk in the circumstance that Charlotte would have decided not to hire me.
  • GrandWizardGrandWizard Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mark sweet spot on nightstick.Place blackjack in back pocket.Learn to say "Stop you *"Pre-Locate all Krispy Creme shops in your patrol area.Study all of Janet Reno's writings.Learn to spell Jack Booted Thug.Learn how to bust a man's nose during a traffic stop.You will do well. Just what we need , another cop....
  • guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My My, Grandwizard is bitter tonight.
  • timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dano, I'm an adult, and I wear t-shirts, jeans and workboots every day. Does that make me dumb, or does that mean you're prejudging people?I'll help you pull over GrandPoohbah, though. He probably wears a suit. (came with two pair of short pants and a yo-yo). Take your best shot, if you can bench 450 pounds, you should be able to load two cords of sawlogs on a truck by hand without a helper. Make 'em Spruce, Cedar's light, maybe 300 lbs for a 10-footer.
  • UNIVERSITY50UNIVERSITY50 Member Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    grandwiz,even though you ment to be a smart@ss, your statement is correct! that is just what we all need,ANOTHER good cop!! from the sound of your posting it appears your screen name may really be the prefix in front of your real name.
  • timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know, Dano, just stirring, you know? A business meeting, a funeral or a wedding will see me in my one suit (got two ties).It's reality in a job interview of any kind, especially in a field considered dealing with the public. Take your best shot, if you have more than two ties, you're better dressed than me! Ties are weird!! Who ever decided that a knotted strap of cloth around the neck was proper dress? I've often wondered that!
  • Richie RichRichie Rich Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Timber I am with you, I live in shorts and tee's but I also have a Armani suite that I have worn 4 or 5 times I also have 3 ties, but I go so long between wearing them that I can never remember how to tie that dam double winsor. So I just keep tieing until I get what maybe a new knot for a tie and go with it. good luck
    Remember,"your woman may not find you handsome, But atleast she'll find ya handy". I love that show..............
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I tested for Charlotte, NC's police department I showed up in a suit and tie. When I walked up to my recruiter's desk to join the Army I was wearing a shirt and tie. When I went to interview for a job at McDonald's to supplement my income from other jobs I was doing--dad told me to wear a suit and tie. There's nothing wrong with jeans and t-shirts. Everyone wears jeans and t-shirts. THAT'S the problem! EVERYBODY wears jeans and tshirts. When you are attempting to gain employment--YOU DON"T WANT TO BE EVERYBODY ELSE! You want to distinguish yourself.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    I have not taken a bunch of these tests. Maybe four or five. They tend to vary a lot by agency. If the agency provides a study guide/information packet to applicants, by all means, MEMORIZE IT. It is a good indicator of what you will see on the test, so be very familiar.Most of the tests I have taken have been heavy into English skills: Spelling, Grammar, Sentence Structure, Vocabulary, Reading Comprehension, etc.I have also encountered the aforementioned observation questions, as well as questions requiring deductive reasoning and judgement calls.In this part of the world, finding people who can pass the test is not a problem. Finding ETHICAL people who can pass the test is a problem.
    Certified SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of the General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the premier gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net Jesus is Lord!
  • Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    Nunn, Idsman, dano & all the rest of y'all-Thanks Guys! Every little bit of advice helps.My last job was with a PI firm as an office manager & lead investigator, closing contracts and interviewing witnesses. I know how to dress in a suit or professional casual clothing. But the point was not lost on me, "You never have a second chance for a first impression".Thanks for the reminder on the visual memorization question, I knew about that but had forgotten. Guess it's time to start playing Mr. Hathcock's "Kim's game" and sharpen the short-term memory.I asked for a study guide, they looked at me like I was crazy.Thanks again fellas!!!
    Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!
  • pops401pops401 Member Posts: 616 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Y'all got ties?
  • old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    I wish you guys would fill me in on this.Whats a TIE??
  • Judge DreadJudge Dread Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HEY you guys you forgot the most important!How to do painful crotch wedggys! and get a pair of "finger cuffs" for thoose nasty big guys...they sure dont move a lot with em!
  • k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    there are test guides at the book stores for all civil services test if that will help