In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Shooting Reopens Huckabee's Clemency Record

allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2009 in General Discussion
Wash. shooting re-opens Huckabee's clemency record

By ANDREW DeMILLO, Associated Press Writer - 11 mins ago
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - As governor of Arkansas, Mike Huckabee had a hand pardoning or commuting many more prisoners than his three immediate predecessors combined. Maurice Clemmons, the suspect in Sunday's slaying of four Seattle-area police officers, was among them.
For a politician considering another run for the White House, Clemmons could become Huckabee's Willie Horton.
"In a primary between a law-and-order Republican and him, I think it could definitely be a vulnerability," said Art English, a political scientist at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock. "It is very damaging when you have someone like that whose sentence was commuted. That's pretty high profile and very devastating and very tragic."
English said it's hard to avoid comparing the case to Horton, a convicted killer who raped a woman and assaulted her fiance while on release as part of a prison furlough program supported by Michael Dukakis when he was governor of Massachusetts.
Allies of former President George H.W. Bush ran ads criticizing Dukakis for his support of the program, undermining the Democrat's presidential campaign.
As recently as Sunday, hours before the shooting suspect was linked to him, Huckabee said he was leaning against running again for president, telling "Fox News Sunday" he was "less likely rather than more likely" to run.
On Monday, Huckabee offered little explanation for why he made Clemmons eligible for parole in 2000, and called the case a failure of the justice systems in Arkansas and Washington.
"If I could have known nine years ago and could have looked into the future, would I have acted favorably upon the Parole Board's recommendation? Of course not," Huckabee told Fox News Radio on Monday.
Huckabee was expected to discuss the Clemmons case Monday night during an interview with Fox News Channel's Bill O'Reilly.
Clemmons was among 1,033 people who were pardoned or had their sentences reduced during Huckabee's 10 1/2 years as governor, a number that far surpasses that of his three predecessors combined. Bill Clinton, Frank White and Jim Guy Tucker granted 507 clemencies in the 17 1/2 years they served. Beebe, Huckabee's Democratic successor, has issued 273 commutations and pardons since taking office in January 2007 - all but one of them were pardons after the completion of the inmates' prison terms.
Huckabee's role in gaining the release of a convicted rapist, Wayne DuMond, was the subject of an attack ad during his presidential run. While Huckabee's predecessor, Tucker, reduced DuMond's sentence making him eligible for parole, Huckabee took steps almost immediately after taking office to win DuMond's release.
Two members of the state parole board said Huckabee pressured them to show DuMond mercy, while Huckabee publicly questioned whether DuMond was guilty of the rape of a teenage girl. During the presidential primaries, a conservative group aired television commercials in South Carolina featuring the mother of Carol Sue Shields, whom DuMond killed in 2000 after his release.
Pulaski County Prosecutor Larry Jegley, whose office opposed Clemmons' parole in 2000 and 2004, said Huckabee created a flaw in the Arkansas justice system by freeing the number of prisoners he did.
"(Clemmons) should have stayed locked up like the jury wanted him and we wouldn't even be having this discussion," Jegley said.
"I just have been figuratively holding my breath and hoping something like this wouldn't happen," Jegley said. "I just think that a lot of the people that were subjects of clemency during that period of time were some very dangerous people who didn't need to be let out."
Clemmons also had the backing of Pulaski County Circuit Judge Marion Humphrey, who urged the board to grant clemency. Humphrey later presided over Clemmons' 2004 wedding in his court chambers.
Prosecutors have said Huckabee, a Southern Baptist preacher, was more inclined to release or reduce the sentences of prisoners if he had direct contact with them or was lobbied by those close to him. Clemmons' letter perhaps appealed to Huckabee's Christian faith.
In his application for clemency, Clemmons wrote that he prayed Huckabee would show him compassion and said at the time of his crimes he had just moved to Arkansas from Seattle. Clemmons also wrote that he had changed his life since "the angel of death has visited and taken away my dear sweet mother."
In 1989, Clemmons, then 17, was convicted in Little Rock for aggravated robbery and other charges and sentenced to 95 years. Between 1989 and 1998, Clemmons broke prison rules more than two dozen times - sometimes violently, said state prison system spokeswoman Dina Tyler.
Clemmons didn't stay out long. He was convicted of robbery in Ouachita County in 2001, but was released again in 2004 by the parole board. Little Rock police say Clemmons also faced charges here in 2001 but prosecutors dropped the additional charges when Clemmons was released a second time. Months after his 2004 release, Clemmons was named as a suspect in an aggravated robbery at a hotel in Little Rock but he was not charged.
Saline County Circuit Judge Robert Herzfeld, who as a prosecutor successfully sued Huckabee over clemency practices, said Huckabee's decision to give Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards a pardon for a 1975 traffic offense after meeting him at a concert showed how lightly the ex-governor approached the practice.
"That just said volumes about how he considered this serious ultimate power over freedom as a joke," Herzfeld said.

Comments

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    "English said it's hard to avoid comparing the case to Horton, a convicted killer who raped a woman and assaulted her fiance while on release as part of a prison furlough program supported by Michael Dukakis when he was governor of Massachusetts.
    Allies of former President George H.W. Bush ran ads criticizing Dukakis for his support of the program, undermining the Democrat's presidential campaign."
    What's good for the goose is, well, you know...
    I like Mike, but there's just something about him that don't wash.
  • medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Huckabee has just seen any political aspiration disappear in a puff of smoke...this is a nonrecoverable event. Four officers gunned down for no reason other than being blue is something people will not forget if he tries to run.

I look for Fox to pull the plug on his show as well. They do not need or want the negative attention.

I like Huckabee better than most politicians, but ultimately he is a politician. Clemmons is a poster child for someone who showed he could not and did not want to change his ways and should have been locked away from society for life.
  • txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just wait till Obammy leaves office, he will commute the sentences of a few folks!

I don't like it, maybe they should not have that much authority?
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Huckabee deserves it..he's a fake, a fraud and he is no good for this country
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by medic07
    Huckabee has just seen any political aspiration disappear in a puff of smoke...this is a nonrecoverable event. Four officers gunned down for no reason other than being blue is something people will not forget if he tries to run.

I look for Fox to pull the plug on his show as well. They do not need or want the negative attention.

I like Huckabee better than most politicians, but ultimately he is a politician. Clemmons is a poster child for someone who showed he could not and did not want to change his ways and should have been locked away from society for life.

Fox might get rid of Huckabee, however, if it is not done in the near future, Fox might be taking a wait and see attitude as to how their viewer ratings play out.

Should Clemons be the killer or not, the important message is not so much about Huckabee, but about a broken justice system. Releasing convicts early has been such a long standing problem in this country. Take Washington state's justice system, eight felonies for Clemmons, plus a child-rape, and they let the guy walk for 15Grand. They also had Clemmons entire criminal history, to include, that he was a violent individual while in the Arkansas prison system, which Huckabee just denied as ever having been apprised about.

I would certainly agree with you that Huckabee's presidential aims have gone up in smoke with this incident should Clemmons be the cop-killer.
    What's next?
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Huckabee is worthless as teats on a boar hog. He is nothing but a pandering wanna-bee party hack.