In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

41 mag question

BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
edited December 2009 in General Discussion
I have a S&W 657 with an 8" barrel. I am considering having it chopped to about 4" for carry purposes when backpacking. Is this a wise or dumb thing I am getting ready to do?

Comments

• reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its your gun ....but I would not do it......my 2 cents
  • 41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    In my opinion to chop the 8" gun to around 4" would not be a wise thing. You would be better off selling and buying a 4" model. I carry a 6" 57 anytime I am in the woods and have for over 30 years.
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Better market, bring more money, for the 8 inch gun.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NO WAY!!![B)]...........nambu
  • Fly DoctorFly Doctor Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    Wouldn't do it. Some cut jobs I've seen some smithies do look about like the cut jobs we used to do on calves...
    and render the shooter about as useful as the calves'.

Buy a shorter barrelled model for carry if necessary. As with 41Nut,
    I've carried a six inch Blackhawk in the woods and on the prairie for
    years in a belt & holster rig without much headache. If for concealed
    carry, I'd go down to four minimum.
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Consider a Glock 29 or 20 10mm, drop in a heavier recoil spring and buy max factory "heavy" loads from either double tap or buffalo bore. 180gr @ 1350fps with 782ft lbs out of a glock 20 is pretty hard hitting, similar to that of the 41mag.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Boomerang
    I have a S&W 657 with an 8" barrel. I am considering having it chopped to about 4" for carry purposes when backpacking. Is this a wise or dumb thing I am getting ready to do?

I think if you do it you're going to end up with a gun that looks odd - the front sight and barrel stamping will look out of whack. If you really want it done, have someone replace the long barrel with a shorter one. Probably will cost about the same & look alot better.
  • redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you now have a reason to buy a new pistol. Not that you needed a reason, right???
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Why do anything. Carry it as is. 4" of brrel does not weight that much more but does give you substancial more sight radius and more MV.

A good shoulder rig and you will forget you are carrying it.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    Takes alot more elbo to remove a 8" gun from most non custom carry leather.. I'd buy a new or used 4" if thats what you need.. The early 29s can be had on here for a deal every now and then, and with a 29 it is easier to find factory snake shot shells..