In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How to kill mold and save pictures/documents???

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited September 2008 in General Discussion
I had a personal box put away for storage and it somehow got wet. The box had mold throughout it's contents. I have hundreds upon hundreds of pictures and negatives that are now stuck together. Is there someplace you can send this stuff off where they can separate the pictures and save my negatives? There is mold and mold spores all over the place...any way to get it off my paperwork without ruining it??? Thanks!

Eric

Comments

• FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You know, you might try a picture archivist/city historian for the tricks. Bet you have one local that will give you some tips.
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    You know, you might try a picture archivist/city historian for the tricks. Bet you have one local that will give you some tips.

Try a restoration company, the ones who clean up after a fire or flood.
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dongizmo
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF

Try a restoration company, the ones who clean up after a fire or flood.
    Don

+1

Another great idea, Forgot the disaster folks that did my house last month after my house fire had a laundry list of vendors and "pictures" was one of them.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Put the negatives in water. Let them soak awhile. When they've been in there about a day or so; add 2 drops of wetting agent (available at photo shops, garden supply stores, etc.)and let them soak another day or so.
    Since the last thing they saw was water (not when they got wet; when they were developed); only use distilled water to clean them.
    Gently grab the edges of the film and without sliding anything, separate the strips.
    Your negatives have been "fixed" when they were developed, so you can use a dilute solution of vinegar and distilled water(a capful to a gallon) to wash them off and kill the mold.
    The photos might be another story though, depending on how old and what type of paper used (sepia runs!), they may have to go the expensive conservation route.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Put them in the freezer and let them dry over time there.
  • fishmastyfishmasty Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have heard of the freezer also, it kills everything.
  • 4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
    edited November -1
    be careful mold can make you sick, and can kill!
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    So what happened to Rocks Gunstroker thread? It doesn't compete with GB as he isn't selling anything. Forums don't compete either. It was done on a whim, unlike Mauser Central where some pissed off guys created it. Can someone point out how it violated the rules?
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    So what happened to Rocks Gunstroker thread? It doesn't compete with GB as he isn't selling anything. Forums don't compete either. It was done on a whim, unlike Mauser Central where some pissed off guys created it. Can someone point out how it violated the rules?

Did you post this in the wrong thread??? I have no idea why any posts were poofed this evening...which one of my threads got deleted???
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking

Did you post this in the wrong thread??? I have no idea why any posts were poofed this evening...which one of my threads got deleted???

I post one on here before and thought this had been poofed. Evidently not, just the post.