In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ice Road Truckers

PTHEIMPTHEIM Member Posts: 3,374
edited September 2008 in General Discussion
I recently finished watching a marathon of the latest season of the show.
Something got me wondering. Why would you spend hundreds of thousands of dollars/day for vehicles, fuel, lodging, insurances, and income for personnel when there could be a small fleet of LCAC transports to move cargo during the winter months for the same price?
I mean a vehicle w/an 80 ton load capacity and can move it 300km at 35km/h over a questionable road surface. This would be better, no?

just a thought

Comments

• PTHEIMPTHEIM Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    On tonight's episode Hugh the Polar Bear was stuck out in the middle of no where. So he said hey I should get my new rifle out. So he reaches in back of the cab and pulls out what he calls his 1953 SKS 15.
    He says look, its even got a bayonet and proceeds to unfold it.
    He pulls a stripper clip out and loads it in his cab then he proceeds to shoot some oranges and a can of soup his so called survival food.
    Some people just should not be allowed to have guns.
    edited November -1
    This is going to be a new show on history channel.

I will be watching it! I allways wanted to go drive the ice roads when I was still driveing truck!

I allways thought that would be the ultimate challenge for a truck driver!
    edited November -1
    i can't watch it anymore, it makes me nervous for one, but the narrator just gets on my nerves, every other word is overly dramatized, if the viewer cannot realize the apparent danger without the use of the narrator and his drama they are not to bright, the show is good all by itself
    edited November -1
    All day marathon on the History Channel today, starting at Noon, Central Time. Every episode, and it's going to run all afternoon, ending with the season (series?) finale. I'm definatly watching it.
    edited November -1
    Anyone else watch this History Channel program about the winter truck drivers hauling freight up the Dalton Highway from just north of Fairbanks to Purdue Bay?

It's a 500 mile journey on roads covered with ice that encompasses some of the most beautiful scenery in America.
    edited November -1
    The show "ICE ROAD TRUCKERS" is pretty good. Its on the history channel.
  • KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my guess is that LCACs eat so much fuel that they are not economically feasible.
    Maintenance requirements may also be part of it...the darn thing is closer to an airplane in terms of stresses on engine components than it is to a truck.
  • rdc5rdc5 Member Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just enjoy the show! I mean they are DRIVING ON A FROZEN LAKE/OCEAN!!
  • PanzerSlayer2PanzerSlayer2 Member Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I could have sworn in the opening ep they went through all those options. The weight of the equipment is too heavy for helicopters and it would require too deep a draft to carry that weight. I'm pretty sure they also said the weights were too heavy for LCAC
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Pretty sure an LCAC can Carry A Tank so that would be what a truck can hold and more.

Yep just looked it up.

quote:Load: 60 tons/75 ton overload (54/68 metric tons)
  • kristovkristov Member Posts: 6,633
    edited November -1
    I wonder if the Canadian truckers spend all day on the internet moaning about how NAFTA has let Yankee truckers come in from south of the border to steal their jobs?
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kristov
    I wonder if the Canadian truckers spend all day on the internet moaning about how NAFTA has let Yankee truckers come in from south of the border to steal their jobs?
    US truckers have allways been able to go up there to haul loads on those ice roads and have done so for many many years.

I at one time actually was going to look into doing it but figured it was not worth quiting one full time job to go for a seasonal job.

Now I wish I would have done it just to say I had.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by *_r_done
    US truckers have allways been able to go up there to haul loads on those ice roads and have done so for many many years.

I at one time actually was going to look into doing it but figured it was not worth quiting one full time job to go for a seasonal job.

A buddy of mine had the option of going. Wasn't worth the risk and time away from family, in his opinion.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cubslover
    quote:Originally posted by *_r_done

A buddy of mine had the option of going. Wasn't worth the risk and time away from family, in his opinion.
    At the time I was considering it I was single so family was not an issue.

As for the risk, it is actually a very small risk anymore as long as a driver uses his head. They have building those roads down to such a science now that they are actually pretty safe.

Back in the early days of those ice roads was a different story and many trucks did go through.