In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Now there is 8?

bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
edited April 2003 in General Discussion
My wife and I have three little girls.10,9and7.About three and a half years ago we took in a 13 year old girl who's parents had died. No one else in her family would take her. She came with too much baggage.When she was ten and her brother had just turned thirteen tragedy struck their family. The kids'father had made the boy his drinking partner since the kid was seven or eight years old. He'd mix grain alcohol with Kaluha to make it taste like chocolate so the kid would drink it. The father would drink beer and have the kid role joints for him, get the kid blind drunk and watch him bounce off the walls.When the dad got too far gone the mother would point an unloaded 357 at him and say for him to knock it off or she'd pull the trigger.He'd say "F" you and she'd pull the trigger and say"BANG!"Well one night the old man and the boy are drinking and get into an argument about the using the telephone. The father rips the phone cord out of the wall and says "that's that". The drunk kid gets the gun and tells him to fix the phone or he'll pull the trigger.The dad says"F" you and the kid pulls the trigger and says"BANG". So does the Smith and Wesson and the father falls to the floor with a gaping hole through his chest.There was one bullet in the gun that happened to be in the proper cylinder for firing.Four months later the mother used the same pistol to shoot herself in the head in front of the kids.The short version is the boy is charged as an adult with second degree manslaughter,pleads guilty under advice from his lawyer and gets sent to prison.I hear about them and take the girl in and become guardian of both kids.This past Friday the now eighteen year old was parolled into my custody.He's a good kid.The whole crew has been visiting him for years every few weeks so he's already family. So that makes seven at the dinner table.Last week this little seven year old boy from across the way started coming around. His mom is entertaining a new boyfriend and doesn't seem to know or care what the boy does. I've called her a few times and have talked to mom with a buzz, mom with a severe hangover and even talked to sober and slightly speedy mom once.None of them give a damn what the kid does.So I let the kid spend his time over here so we can see that he gets fed and does his homework.I send him home every evening and he's back every day after school playing with my kids.I'm not sure, but I think he's been wearing those same jeans for about a week.I guess it's back to K-Mart this weekend again.I think I'll walk him home tommorrow to see what is going on over there. Anyway I need a bigger table. The rule is that everyone has supper together.My old table only seats six and now we are eight.Anyone got a big solid table they're not doing anything with? Big Daddy

my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems

Comments

• maggiethecatmaggiethecat Member Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i'm not a religios man by any means. that siad, you sir, have a seat at a large table in heaven. god bless you for all you do for these kids

SGT USMC

The greatest happiness is to see your enemy scattered before you, to see his village in ashes, and to gather to your bed his wives and daughters.-Genghis Khan 1226
  • stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    bigdaddy,
    Great rewards await you in heaven, and it sounds like you're getting some pretty good ones right here on earth as well!
    May God Bless.
  • MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're a good man, Big Daddy.

Merc

NO! You may not have my guns! Now go crawl back into your hole!

"Tolerating things you may not necessarily like is part of being free" - Larry Flynt
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Big daddy, you are indeed a Big Daddy! I wish there was more people like you to take these kids in when their parents don't want them.

magnum.gif

email.gif
  • GotdeereGotdeere Member Posts: 293 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I comend you and your wife, there is no pat on the back big enough for the two of you. That there is defiently love for man kind and a feart the size of Texas. Good luck with everything.
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    Brings a whole new meaning to BigDaddy. My hat is off to you sir.

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    big daddy...I just signed on and yours was the first post I read....I read it with tears in my eyes.... what a beautiful thing you and your wife are doing...We need more people like you....
    God bless you and your family....wish I had a big table to send you....

Cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    Your dong the good thing-more power to you!

shoot2.gif
    Where there is no vision,the people perish!
  • PRZNCOP110PRZNCOP110 Member Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I work for the dept of correctoins and I cant count how many inmates came from environments like you described. I want to say thank you for making a diference in the kid's lives and for making my job easier. Every little bit helps. Thanks again.

"SOCIETY PREPARES THE CRIME, THE CRIMINAL COMMITS IT"
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Big Daddy.. the same rule applied in our home. Everybody eats together for supper. Good news and bad news is shared together with everyone. We also thank the Lord before each meal. I go to furniture auctions and I will see if I can pick up an 8 place dinner table for you.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    big daddy...I did a bit of checking on the web after I clicked on your profile.....how bout contacting the local churches in your area?....or your church if you attend....they usually can pass the word fairly quickly about your needs..and who in all honesty could turn down such a request?....its for a wonderful cause....Contact the furniture sellers...they usually have slightly damaged good that a person can get cheap....yard sales...auctions, flea markets.... who cares if its new?.... you will have the most beautiful table ever made...its made with love...

Cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are the lucky one. You're going to get to see the love from those kids their parents never will. attaboy!

Old? First you forget names; then you forget faces; then you forget to pull your zipper up; then you forget to pull your zipper down.
    standard.jpg
  • pikeal1pikeal1 Member Posts: 2,707
    edited November -1
    People are going to start talking if they see me with my eyes all welled up with tears. Hats off to you BigDaddy. Your are a good man. God bless you.

"The only way American citizens can adequately be protected from terror and violence is when" those in authority protect us from those who would harm us, instead of protecting us from ourselves.
  • SilverBoxSilverBox Member Posts: 2,347
    edited November -1
    BigDaddy you need to move to the country where your neighbors are a ways away from you and quick or you'll be needing a woodshop for all the furniture your gonna have to custom build.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try checking at the habitat for humanity office. My parents often buy things for the rental houses from there,...They often sell things which are donated to them from contractors to gain money for the new homes they build. The stuff is dirt cheap usually, and pert near brand new or new.

Just a thought.

BTW, that IS a great thing you are doing. There aren't enough folks like you.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well that post left me speechless, which is pretty tough to do. My hat is off Big Daddy, I think I will never be the man you are.
  • BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    Bigdaddy,

I'd give you our dinner table - but the shipping from WA to NC is probably more than what I paid for it. I think half or better of Americans have given up on the family dinner concept. We always sit down for dinner together when I am not on night shift.
    Your generosity is great. I have worked with the juvenile correction dept. years ago and there are tooo many children out there with nobody who cares.....

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • 85Ranger85Ranger Member Posts: 89 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Though I can't help with the table, I want to say thank you for posting this. My eyes welled up a bit. What an outstanding person you are.

**Great success always comes from great sacrifice**

**Never let a problem become an excuse**
  • sodbustersodbuster Member Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bigdaddyjunior:
    My hat's off to you!!! The good that you are providing is priceless!! I don't believe that there are any 'bad' children. However, bad parents(I use this term loosely) mold these children into a reflection of the parents faults!! Thank-You for being there for these kids[^].,,,sod

"We have therefore to resolve to conquer or die: Our won Country's
    Honor, all call upon us for vigorous and manly exertion, and if we
    now shamefully fail, we shall become infamous to the whole world.
    Let us therefore rely upon the goodness of the Cause, and the
    aid of the supreme Being, in whose hands Victory is, to animate
    and encourage us to great and noble Actions." --George Washington

praying.jpg