In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Stupid foreign bidders

wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,068
edited May 2007 in General Discussion
I sold 3 sets of grips on another site brand new S&W J frame grips still on the package. The picture showed to sets of grips becuse I was
selling a lot of the same type and was trying to save time on the listings. The descriptions clearly stated that the auctions were for 1 set only and described which set it was for. The listing also said I would only ship to the USA. After the auction the high bidder contacted me saying he was in Japan and please could he buy the grips He won a total of three auctions and asked what shipping to Japan would be I relented and he sent me payment and I shipped his items and he left positive feedback. Then started sending me emails asking were the other 3 grips where. I have tried and tried to get it through to him that that is all he bought. But I just got another from him in broken English that is hard to follow and finally told him to bite me and not contact me again. See if you can understand the description plainly enough.

Up for bids is a set of New still on the card S&W J-frame Sq Butt Walnut Target Stocks. They fit models 30, 31, 34, 36, 37, 28, 49, and 60. The grips are checkered and are in perfect condition.You are bidding on the grip set on the right.You are only bidding on ONE (1) set of grips. Buyer pays shipping of 5.00 for Priority Mail Delivery.

Could it be any plainer. Jeez if they can't understand English don't bid in my auctions.

Sorry my Spleen is much smaller now after the venting.

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: And he that hath no sword,let him sell his garment, and buy one

Comments

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's why I don't ship outside the U.S.!! Besides I thought Japan was the worst of the lot when it comes to gun control laws. What's he gonna do with them?

Woods
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When it comes to online auctions,
    bidders do not have to be foreign to be stupid. [xx(]

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    There are fewer than 500 licensed and registerd pistol shooters in all of Japan. These are people who are World and Olympic class competitors and not one gets to take his or her handgun away from the range for even a moment, much less take it home. You also have account for every round you fire on a government form and can't take any ammunition outside of the range either. No one in Japan would be using a S&W J-frame revolver for the very limited types of shooting sports allowed in that country. I agree with Woods- what is this guy going to really do with those grips? I'd just let the whole thing drop, since he's 8000 miles away he won't be too much of a problem.

Mark T. Christian
  • MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You guys who don't sell out of the country are missing a HUGE chunk of the market.

The US is NOT THE WORLD (contrary to some people's thinking!)

Probably 10% of my business is overseas, and these guys lay down the cash. VERY rarely do I have any language problems, or problems with the transaction because they are overseas.

If you aren't selling to furriners, you are being foolish, imo. [:p]

Merc

NO! You may not have my guns! Now go crawl back into your hole!

"Tolerating things you may not necessarily like is part of being free" - Larry Flynt
  • boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    You have to be careful about what you sell to foreign bidders, there are items outside of complete guns and receivers that are illegal to send to foreign countries without an export license. Barrels are on the list of forbidden imports. There are other reasons to be cautious.

In Canada, for example, it is the FAL or L1A1 lower that's considered the registered receiver, not the upper, as it is in the US. Shipping a US legal FAL lower to Canada would be like shipping a complete gun.

To err is human, to moo is bovine.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would air on the side of caution and not send any metal or wood parts of a gun inernationally. I would likely sell small stuff like holsters, etc.
    I'll take the 10% market loss by not getting myself into hotwater.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Japan, China, Australia, North America, South America etc....they are the same all over....doesnt matter where it is...you will have bidders like that right in your own back yard.....
    Classic and I had Harley parts up for auction....guy in Japan won them.... checked on shipping and informed him of the cost...paid it without any problem.....he was great to deal with....
    Had another buyer on another item in the states..... he wanted all the items and yet it clearly stated only one item.... wouldnt pay the shipping even though that was clearly stated as well....
    Its not where they live...its the actual person...and those people occur all over the world...

Cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • AmpersandAmpersand Member Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WIPALA: Zipflints, right? I have noticed this guy bidding on a bunch of S&W grips. I think it's all he buys but he buys a lot of them. I was surprised to learn he is Japanese. I have no idea what he is doing with all these grips in a country where 99.9% of the people cannot own a handgun. If you have explained that it was one set of grips for sale that's all you can do.

&
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    You want headaches, sell overseas.[:)]

"If your gonna be stupid, go find a democrat."
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Like BR said, we sold Harley related stuff all over the world, Japan, England, Germany, Australia, Tiawan, (even ordered stuff from out of US), and some of the biggest dummies are right here in this country,, Never had one problem out of foreign buyers...

Pepe_stand3.jpg

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows"

Blue_star-eagle.gif
  • chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sold a bunch of gun kits a few months back and the winner of one of the auctions for a Ruger P90 parts kit wound up being from Austrailia. Now I know that's not allowed so I refused to sell to him unless he could provide a stateside shipping address. He did and that was the end of it. Some of the parts may have been legal to send to foreign countries, but I didn't want the headache of finding out what parts are legal in what countries, what aren't, and then having to seperate out the shipments... it seemed like too much work.

New Hampshire, USA - "Live Free or Die!!!"
  • BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    Wipala - this is just my opinion, and yes the buyer is very stupid not to be able to understand the written words of something they are spending money on - but - you said that the picture was of 3 sets of grips (to save time).
    There is an auction on Exxx under "700 stock", I was looking for a remington stock, and one of these has a picture of a skimpily clad girl in a swim suit as the main picture - it also has 3 other pics of the gunstock up for auction. Now - I want the girl, but do I get her with the stock or can I bid on her seperatly???? Of course I'm not much on auctions of rifles that are pictured with a nice scope on it and somewhere in the discription it says "scope not included".

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)<P>
  • Supreme OneSupreme One Member Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello, "When it comes to online auctions, bidders do not have to be foreign to be stupid." When is comes to ANYTHING, stupid people are everywhere.
    If stupid people could fly, this place would be an airport.

Michael

Paranoid keeps you alive, worry just gives you stomach problems.

Politics- From the words poly, meaning many, and tics, which are just little blood suckers.

If "con" is the opposite of "pro," then what is the opposite of progress?
  • TalentedTalented Member Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hmm I't seemes the opinion of the foreigner is needed in this forum , to balance up things a bit.

"You have to be careful about what you sell to foreign bidders"

Actually not at all[:)] Its the foreigners problem if his custom gives him troubble and send the police to pick him upp.
    Sell whatever u like
    Anyway as far as i'm conserned you're the foreigners...hmm i wonder if i can trust those foregner ?[:D]
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Talented
    Hmm I't seemes the opinion of the foreigner is needed in this forum , to balance up things a bit.

Actually not at all[:)] Its the foreigners problem if his custom gives him troubble and send the police to pick him upp.
    Sell whatever u like
    Anyway as far as i'm conserned you're the foreigners...hmm i wonder if i can trust those foregner ?[:D]

No, since Al Gore invented the internet, your on our turf[}:)][}:)]
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
    edited November -1
    Dogizmo feels like and evil da.. foreigner i see
    Very talented comment [8D]
  • DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, this may be the oldest resurrected thread thread we've seen lately.

I know ebay bars gun parts being shipped to foreign countries (and from OUR point of view outside the U.S. is foreign) but I think that's just their policy. Some Japanese buyer on ebay was buying every set of S&W stocks he could get for a while. Not sure why but as far as I know it wasn't illegal and I sold him a set, myself.

I have sold a few other things to foreign buyers without incident. And back in the 1980s, when buying products from Czechoslovakia was prohibited, I bought a BRNO 602 rifle by ordering through a Canadian gun dealer. It was a mess of paperwork but I wanted the gun. Still have it.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • gauche_but_honestgauche_but_honest Member Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Talented

Sell whatever u like

Troll_Warning.bmp
    edited November -1
    You're really uggly Mr Gauche and your attitude sucks.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bet these Japanese grip buyers are mounting them on their replica airsoft guns.
  • spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    We sell pretty much worldwide and, per capita, the % of those that
    don't read the text seems equal.

Talented: you never did say how many knives ya wanted.[;)]
    edited November -1
    Hehe probably you have this birch masur over there to ?
    But maybe some day it would be cool to combine a bowie blade with masur
    http://www.crusade.se/strongman/bilder.html Nopes its not my company, its just for the pictures.
  • jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    I sold an Enfield No.5 carbine to a fellow in England once. Was one of the nicest fellows I've had the pleasure of dealing with. The ONE thing that he did that made the sell possible is that he contacted me 6 days prior to the close of the auction and ASKED if it was alright to bid. Said he would arrange everything prior to the close of the auction, and gave me contact info on his export dealer for me to check up on. I said, go ahead. He won the auction, sent payment (arrived in less than a week), and his export dealer sent FFL in less than a week also (Brian, bdlltd. also nice fellow). sent the rifle to Brian just as I would any other transfer FFL, and I was done with the transaction, simply because my description states where I'll ship to and I can't stand folks that can't/don't read.

However, if he hadn't contacted me prior to the auction close, ask, explain the situation, and given me his dealers contact info, I wouldn't have followed through with the transaction if told all this after the auction closed.

Ben
  • spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HobbyGuy
    Hmmm? A thread from April of 2003. Very interesting. Why [?]
    Seems it was dug up by a "talented" indivdual.[;)]
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Stooopiddd.

D.
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Crappy customerservice and uptight employees are the reason why I directs my attencion to the European market now.

We're used to pay up front - lay it all on the line, including shipping and handling. COD is rarely used for buisnesses like this.

I have yet to find a European country that don't allow spare parts of guns to be bought anywhere in the world.
    Receivers/frames, barrels, bolts, drum for a revolver and those sorts of things are usually restricted - anything else is free.

I have ordered a scope base for a US Carbine M1.. and was told they couldn't ship it due to a paranoid legislation where someone fears it will end up on a gun that could be pointed towards a US Soldier. (that's what I was told).

Magazines with 10+ capacity needs an import permit and god forbid if it's on their list too - then you'd need a written permit AND end user certificate to even speak of ordering it.

I guess that's ONE way to shut down the moneyflow into the country.
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Oh - and Japaneese as well as chineese often buys parts of weapons.

Displaying a set of beautiful grips is not outlawed.

Displaying a beautifully crafted Tzuba for a sword (hand/fingerguard) is kind of exclusive too.
    Some companies even use to display such stuff to show customers that they take pride in history.

Japan and China is very much - "Catch your eye - tell a story in a humble, yet effective way."
  • wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,068
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SaxonPig
    Well, this may be the oldest resurrected thread thread we've seen lately.

I know ebay bars gun parts being shipped to foreign countries (and from OUR point of view outside the U.S. is foreign) but I think that's just their policy. Some Japanese buyer on ebay was buying every set of S&W stocks he could get for a while. Not sure why but as far as I know it wasn't illegal and I sold him a set, myself.

I have sold a few other things to foreign buyers without incident. And back in the 1980s, when buying products from Czechoslovakia was prohibited, I bought a BRNO 602 rifle by ordering through a Canadian gun dealer. It was a mess of paperwork but I wanted the gun. Still have it.
    In Japan real guns are forbidden but super detailed replicas are hot items. They buy original grips replace the phony ones with the originals and display them.