In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Seriously what do you think is going on?

NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
edited April 2009 in General Discussion
I cant believe the ammo manufactures didnt have enough ammo stocked in their warehouse to cover any ammo shortage up until this point. If they cant get enough out the door, they should hire some more help and give Americans more jobs. I know the Military in Iraq has dramitically decreased the amount of ammo they were useing. Anyway that was .223, .308 and 9MM it should not have effected .40 or any other civilian ammo. Do you suspect something is up or do you really think these companies cant keep up production?

Remington
Winchester
Federal
Hornady
Corbon
American
Sellor& Bellot(SP) And many more Im sure Ive left out.
Fiochi

Comments

• dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I honestly believe that the demand following Obama's election caught everybody by surprise. Be honest with yourself. Would you ever have predicted any of this a year ago? I believe that those running the major ammo facilities were just as surprised as all of us have been. We are living in interesting times.
  • watrulookinatwatrulookinat Member Posts: 4,693
    edited November -1
    Well, there is a very high demand for ammo on the civilian side with the anticipation of the obama gun ban. You have to admit guns and ammo have been flying off the shelves.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    IMO it is manufacturers and all down the line, purposely shorting, to create a fatter profit.

Look at certain models of rifles right now. 400 and MORE over just a few short months ago's prices. Because they CAN.

WHY hire more people, add machines, ect? Heck, they can make BIGGER profits, by slowing output...

I am NOT going to feel much pitty for these manufacturers when/if negitive legislation comes down the pike.....
  • BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to agree with the majority ahead of my post. I think it's related to the election and what people think may happen so folks are stocking up and there are new gun owners buying ammo too.

My daughter works at place that usually has it on the shelves and she says that people stop in every day she works and ask, but they have been out of pistol ammo since before the end of last year. While I have posted before about the places I've looked for ammo recently without luck, I did order some from a major store last week at a reasonable price. Before you say it, the proof is in what gets delivered.

Guess we'll see.
  • westernMDhunterwesternMDhunter Member Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When Federal Laid off so many worker's in November 2008 and January 2009 they were supposedly caught up with their backlog, hopefully those laid off are back to work now clearing up another backlog.

Tuesday January 13, 2009
    As many as 80 workers are being let go at Anoka's Federal Cartridge ammunition plant this month.

Alliant Techsystems (ATK), the parent company of the local ammunitions maker, has announced the cut backs as a result of the ammunitions maker reducing a backlog of orders that started more than two years ago.

The local plant manufactures ammunitions used by sportsmen, police departments and the U.S. government.

"In 2006 ATK and Federal Cartridge ramped up its production due to a backlog of demand it was experiencing at the time," said Amanda Covington, ATK director of communications. "We added a number of employees at that time."

While the backlog is not completely cleared, said Covington, it has been reduced to a point where the company does not need the extra workers on the project.

The majority of the 70 to 80 employees affected were notified Thursday and Friday of last week and Covington said depending on the department, work will wrap up between now and the end of the month.

The lay-offs included a mix of hourly and salaried employees.

This is the second round of job cuts at Federal Cartridge in recent months. Forty to 50 employees were let go in November, for the same reason, said Covington.

At the same time last week, 70 to 80 people were also given notice they would be losing their jobs at ATK's Lewiston, Idaho, plant.

After lay-offs, approximately 900 people will be employed at Federal Cartridge in Anoka.

ATK is a $4.6 billion aerospace and defense company with over 17,000 employees in 21 states. Based in Eden Prairie, it has been ranked the 14th largest defence contractor by Defence News and is the largest supplier of munitions and solid rocket propulsion.

Federal Cartridge was acquired by Alliant Techsystems in 2001 when the local company was sold by Lehman Brothers. Federal's ownership history also includes Charles L. Horn, a private group of investors and Blount International, Inc.

ATK is a spin-off from Honeywell, starting in the 1990s

According to the company, ATK is the world's largest manufacturer for small-caliber ammunitions. Its armament systems division includes both small and medium-caliber ammunitions, medium-caliber gun systems, sport shooting accessories and reloading supplies along with advanced propellant and energetics.

Sporting ammunition and accessories are manufactured on site at Federal. Brands produced at the Anoka plant includes Federal Premium Ammunition, CCI, Speer, Fusion, Estate Cartridge, American Eagle and Blazer.
  • FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nighthawk
    I cant believe the ammo manufactures didnt have enough ammo stocked in their warehouse to cover any ammo shortage up until this point.

I would imagine ammo manufacturers are not too different from other types of manufacturing companies. The name of the game in recent years has been to NOT maintain much inventory, as inventory costs money (warehouse space = $$$). The most efficient means is to strike a balance where you stay just ahead of orders, such that the product is virtually coming right off the line and out the door.

As some have mentioned, I think the spike in demand kind of caught everyone with their pants down. Most will agree, however, that the increase in demand is relatively temporary. For companies to add machinery and/or personnel would be a poor business decision. Maybe add some extra shifts/overtime, but that's about it.
  • wild bunch guywild bunch guy Member Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any body think about how much the ammo sellers make on ammo when they dont have any to sell?

WBG
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Been thinking on this. May just be that powder is what is the controling part. To ramp up production of powder may take longer than the rest. Primers will be a very close Second to a controling factor.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Consider your post dated 12-07
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=277843

From 12-06
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=223961

The price of ammo has been going up LONG before "O" even thought about running for office.

People were buying back "then" to beat the price increase, because the price was rising so fast.

People were complaining about not being able to find ammo since (at least) 06
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=193793

With the war, availability problem, and the skyrocketing cost, people have been buying it up for years. The current situation comes as no surprise. Manufacturers fault? Not sure about that.

I was having a hard time finding S&B .45. Some sites had it listed, but it was on backorder. And that was a few years ago. Can not hardly find it at all now. At any price.
  • PEZHEAD265PEZHEAD265 Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't you think the big boy's like Cheaper than dirt are holding it back.15 and change for 7.62x39 for a box of 20 and they are saying buy it qick before there is no morE.Before someone says there is a ban on Wolf please read the story before you say that.There is no ban on Wolf to the public and it still can be brought into yhe states.The ban was in 2006 andredone for 2008.In 06 it was less than 100 $ for 1000 rds.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    Imagine what the Democratic Party thinks of it all.

They know that if the people feel the ballot box has failed them because the Party had it stuffed, and that the soap box fails them because it has been taken over by the likes of MSNBC, and that the jury box fails them because the courts keep throwing Citizenship Challenges out, people start to look to their vintage 1776 bullet box...

Nighty night, Obammy...
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:pickenup Posted - 04/01/2009 : 12:25:04 AM
    Consider your post dated 12-07
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=277843

Thanks for looking that up pickenup, wish I knew then what I know now.[B)]
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dreher
    I honestly believe that the demand following Obama's election caught everybody by surprise. Be honest with yourself. Would you ever have predicted any of this a year ago?

You damned right I would have and did, MORE than a year ago. Saw it coming when the Libs took control of the Senate and Congress.
  • rovernutrovernut Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just got back from cabela's sydney store. no primers, powder or fmj bullets. very limited on loaded ammo, only 2 AR type rifles. I'd say we are in for a long dry spell
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There has to be more to it than supply and demand. Wolf is a good example of that.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,310 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DBV

I would imagine ammo manufacturers are not too different from other types of manufacturing companies. The name of the game in recent years has been to NOT maintain much inventory, as inventory costs money (warehouse space = $$$). The most efficient means is to strike a balance where you stay just ahead of orders, such that the product is virtually coming right off the line and out the door.

As some have mentioned, I think the spike in demand kind of caught everyone with their pants down. Most will agree, however, that the increase in demand is relatively temporary. For companies to add machinery and/or personnel would be a poor business decision. Maybe add some extra shifts/overtime, but that's about it.
    Spot on IMO.
  • rhythm_guyrhythm_guy Member Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup

The price of ammo has been going up LONG before "O" even thought about running for office.

You didn't really go back far enough to document that claim - you only went back to 2006, and he was big into running for Pres before then.