In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

To the board members

robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
edited January 2002 in General Discussion
I was replying to a post that was just poofed, and now I have to start all over again. I really enjoy coming to this board every day, I get upset, just a little, when I cant, it is enjoyable. I've been hanging around for, oh, about 6 months now, and finally have a feeling of knowing most of you well enough to know who you are, at least here on the board. I have had my run with the obnoxious topics, and have learned from it, its unproductive, and senseless, therefore I dont participate in those topics much anymore, except to try to lighten things up occasionally. When topics of debate present themselves, like the recent one involving farmers, I will gladly express my opinion, while remaining respectful to other's opinons. I live here in what I call, my own version of virtual reality, knowing full well that no one can or will hold me responsible for my actions here, for the most part, but that does not change how I conduct myself while here. I sign my name at the bottom of my posts, because I have no fear of the internet, and I dont mind people knowing who I am. I understand that everyone has their opinion on various topics, and dont mind hearing all of them. I do mind some things that go on here, the name calling, unproductive discussions that are meant to do nothing other than make one member look better than another, and the tendency of some members to incite verbal riots. I have for some time now been practicing my own version of exile, for certain board members, from my world here on the board. It works like this, if you are someone who constantly incites verbal riots, stoops to calling members names, or act in a childish and ridiculous manner, you are exiled. Its that simple. Exile means, you do not even get your posts looked at in most instances, will not get answers to your questions even though I usually can help you, and will not even be recognized if you should reply to my posts, even though it may have been a moment of rational thought for you. I have written this post to give you all a little insight as to how I work. If some of you are as tired of how things are going on this board as I am, but have too many reasons for staying and not enough to leave, try using my simple form of exile, and I believe you will see a cleansing of the board if you will. Members who are acting in ways that do not seem appropriate to you will go away, very quickly. You will train yourself, without even realizing it, to ignore the people that irritate you the most, and even if those members dont leave the board, you wont notice they are here.I'd like, at this time, to thank the members of this board that make my time here so addictive: Nunn, songdog, Rembrandt, Josey1, SXSMAN, mudge, SaxonPig, JudgeDread, JudgeColt, both of the Ruger guys, v35, aglore, the beasts-all of them, both danos, iconoclast, idsman 75, simonbs, JustC, jdb23, concealedG36, 5db, 7mm UM is king, will 270, 218 Bee, guns&painthorses, bsebast, alledan, pops, gruntled, supermonkey, greenlantern,instrument of war, daddo, Evil ATF, offeror, Rosie, Yankee Clipper, wittum, Kimber Kid, njretcop, salzo, He Dog, and the list goes on... I probably forgot someone. Still working the list...gotta go to work.
SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC[This message has been edited by robsguns (edited 01-30-2002).][This message has been edited by robsguns (edited 01-30-2002).]

Comments

• whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yikes!Clouder..
  • ysacresysacres Member Posts: 294 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey is someone bashing farmers, What post is that, I missed it. Did it get poofed. Please tell me, I want in. Bring it back, Who dun it.?????????????????????????????????????????????
  • concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Robsguns, I'm with you. I just spent some time at HCT to see what they are about. I can say that I'm not impressed. While some people may enjoy virtual pi$$ing contests, I prefer learning about guns and discussing hunting. I choose to simply ignore the threads that are full of insults.I know I'm not the brightest member here, and I know that I sometimes type stupid things. But, some of you should consider moving to another board more in line with your interests.That said, I'm sure somebody will sling some * on me for speaking my mind. But, in the immortal words of Dano, take your best shot...
    Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
  • robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Farmers, see: Oh My God! Yahooo!!!Actually, I was sort of on them, but only the big ones actually, depends on what you consider big I guess.
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Dano, I remember reading a post that said that some members who registered on the forums with their GB id cannot access their GB priveleges anymore. Could that be your problem?
    NIKLASAL@hotmail.com
  • pops401pops401 Member Posts: 616 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm getting sick of this! How many times do I have to tell you to wait for me to say it.Just cause I'm old and type with one finger, you young'ns get in there first.THANKS Robs for includin' me. pops
  • Evil ATFEvil ATF Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ditto, Rob.Gracias.
  • beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm heartbroken...I didn't make the A list!!! And I even included him in my bowling story..... Whatever will I do? Guess I'd better go eat some worms. Beach
  • simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
    Beach..."nobody likes me, everybody hates me, guess I'll just go eat worms"...Don't fret, you're cool with me (if that matters at all).Thanks, Sarge.
  • whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    beach:Or the 'B' or the 'C' nor the 'D'. You're as useless as me. I'm crushed.Clouder..
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Gee Ryan, after that, I feel kind of humbled. Enjoy talking with you also. Thank you.
    Allen Glore
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • pops401pops401 Member Posts: 616 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Must be his birthday, and he's just lookin' for presents. My kids get like that at birthday time.Robs, that e-mail you sent...,I'm kinda enjoying it
  • SXSMANSXSMAN Member Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the kind words.FINALLY!!! Someone appreciates me for the TRUE literary and comic genius that is SxS.(Basking in the warm glow,or is that just too much ole #7?)I guess I'm fortunate.My short term memory is not as good as it was.I remember having words with ladr and stopping by HCT to say hi,but can't remember for the life of me what it was about.I'm fine with him and others that have ruffled my feathers.I'm more of a parasite on this board,getting much more info and knowledge than I'm able to reciprocate.I'm also though a good enough person to know when I'm wrong and just being a $hithead and say so.Way too much stupid pride and male ego's on this board.I for one must stand back and see if I like the person in the mirror looking back at me.Think before you type,it takes less time to step around it than clean it off your shoes later.
  • ladrladr Member Posts: 263 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sxsman, You and I had words?? You must be of of those smelly ole Colt lovers.Dang it, sometimes I feel like the board bully, but I know I ain't, cause Rosey is still here.
  • hunter280manhunter280man Member Posts: 705
    edited November -1
    I to have noticed a slightly nasty tone to some of the posts, I came to this sight because I wanted help and info. Altho a good chuckle isn't bad either. If I step over the line; please flog me, or point my comment in the proper direction... 280man
  • guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Guys,Do you guys think I was bashing farmers? Not really, when I find out my neighbor down the road who owns 4 houses and about 700 acres around here has pulled in$181,000.00 in the last 5 years fron us - Me and You! He's just a small farmer with a big habit. I am not trying to offend any of you, it just pisses me off to think I might have to sell some of my guns or horses to keep the place going, and these guys just have to hang around the *&^%$# mailbox!
  • SXSMANSXSMAN Member Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    See what I mean ladr,even you don't remember.Must not have been anything more than a raised testosterone level,where talkin now ain't we?One thing robsguns was saying is that when this board gets to you,give the board your best.Elmois (spell) got to me a month or so ago about most mechanics were just parts replacers.Funny that was over Mlincolns post about having to wait to buy a gun because his Nissan truck needed expensive brake work.This was a short time after surgery,but I genuinely offered to fly out (I have flight benefites)and help repair his truck.Do I know him,no.But I'm more inclined to help people here that I've met than the slackers that I do know in real life.So I for one will work on being a more tolerant person.But I'll always be a smart *,just my way.(If my dad told me once he told me a thousand times;"Better to be a smartass than a * son")Rest in peace dad,I'm trying.
    edited November -1
    Hey beach, I cant remember everyone, sorry. Let me edit again, no just kidding, I'm done editing, I will always forget someone, if your name isnt on the list, dont sweat it, I didnt see mine either
  • instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ditto and thanks
    The world is full of sheep, run with the wolves and make 'em call ya daddy
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sarge, I appreciate the compliment and would note that I enjoy your contributions as well. I don't always agree w/ you, but *you* are one of those who make this site one of my favorite places to visit.
    edited November -1
    Iconoclast, I'm glad you dont agree with me all the time. I get tired of talking to myself, its never interesting. I learned a lot from aglore, and Jackshitte, cause they knew something I didnt, and aglore really has a good argument on bullets and stuff like that. I feel better educated for the opportunity to 'discuss' an opinion now and then.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks. I'm not really aware of the friction being referred to, but then I only read the topics that catch my interest. Maybe I missed 'em. I for one am glad there are so many people here willing to discuss the hobby I find so interesting, and I appreciate the totality of the different points of view and experience.
    "The 2nd Amendment is about defense, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    I've learned a lot on this site an have had great answeres to difficult as well as (what may seem) silly questions, and thank all of you who help me and others without making fun. I agree with you "rob" and I only go with the subjects of fun and informantive nature. Think I'll hang around a while!!
    edited November -1
    I've learned a lot on this site an have had great answeres to difficult as well as (what may seem) silly questions, and thank all of you who help me and others without making fun. I agree with you "rob" and I only go with the subjects of fun and informantive nature. Think I'll hang around a while!!
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
  • 218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    WOW!!!!!!!!Did somebody say somethin` about............
    Did somebody say somethin` about bees?
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Who, me argue, never.LOL
    edited November -1
    I swear- I only hit the submit button once!
  • simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
    Daddo,Its your story, tell it how you want to.
  • sandman2234sandman2234 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    sandman2234 always get left off the A list too. I try to stay out of pissing contests, the stuff splatters.
    Have Gun, will travel
  • beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They called him "machine gun" daddo. Beach
    edited November -1
    Ok, I have a confession. I was pressed for time, and since I have such a bad memory, and the list of members here is so large, I just started going through the posts in reverse order typing out the names of the members I recognized the most easily. I DONT HAVE AN A LIST! I couldnt go through all the posts for the last 30 days or so at the time, or I would have. Come on guys, give me some slack here. I should have just written down the names of people that are on my list of those in Exile, eh? Nah, I was just trying to thank those of you who make this site so enjoyable, not recognize those that dont. Gotta get back to work, see ya.
  • YankeeClipperYankeeClipper Member Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rob- Thanks for the post. My son is in the USMC so I'm trying to get him to come to the board. But at this time it doesn't seem to be his bag. My 2 bites worth: We havn't has a good jam session sence we planed the hunting trip
  • turboturbo Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dang, I'm with you concerning the name calling and foul language, people ought to able to discuss subjects of interest, without using offensive words, after all we live in the 22d century, but I wouldn't ban anyone from posting his opinion on any subject, in any way it suits him, just because I'm insulted, after all I am a grown up and can just as easily turn off the set, it's the American way.It's been said many times before, even you quoted it, you don't have to open and participate on any suject matter posted, I have'nt necessarily noticed any unproductive discussions, someone always gets something out of a discussion, so long as it's conducted civilly.I for one, praise Nunn, for using his authority to maintain the atmosphere enjoyable, and cleaned up. Other sights I would'nt think of visiting."General DiscussionExchange messages with other users about virtually any other topic of interest."All topics are welcome here, the way I see it.My 2 pennies worth.
  • Ms. BeastMs. Beast Member Posts: 496 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Robsguns! I always stop in here to see what is going on, have been doing the same thing for a while now. I try to stay out of the nasty posts, less trouble!