In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remember this

grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
edited June 2009 in General Discussion
Man Shoots drunk intruder sleeping on his couch.

quote:ROSEBURG, Ore. -- A Sutherlin man who shot and killed a man his wife found asleep on their couch last year will serve 19 months in prison as part of a plea deal.

Keith Cramer, 35, pleaded no contest to criminally negligent homicide with a firearm. In exchange, the district attorney dropped a charge of second-degree manslaughter.

The charges stem from a shooting inside Cramer's home in Sutherlin, where Cramer's wife discovered a man sleeping on their couch last June.

She told police she went to a local tavern to get her husband, and the intruder, Michael Shane Smith, 35, of Alaska, was shot in the chest.

Cramer will be sentenced by Judge Ronald Poole in August. The two sides have agreed on a sentence of 19 months in exchange for the plea.

"He has tremendous sorrow for the death of Mr. Smith, and for his wife and family," defense attorney Jim Arneson said of Cramer, "and wishes to the bottom of his soul this had never happened."

Sentencing is set for Aug. 7.

'He beat me up, so I shot him. This is my house. He's an intruder'

According to police accounts, Cramer's wife found the stranger passed out on the family's couch and summoned her husband from a bar.

Cramer said that what happened next was self-defense. According to a search warrant affidavit, he told officers: "He beat me up, so I shot him. This is my house. He's an intruder."

Two Sutherlin police officers entered the home after the June 19 shooting and found Smith's body. It was "lying on his side with his feet propped up on the couch, facing the center of the living room," the affidavit states.

Investigators said Smith appeared to have been shot in the chest with a high-powered hunting rifle.

Smith lived in Alaska but had been in Sutherlin for several weeks mourning the May 29 death of his mother. A friend said Smith had been drinking heavily on the night of the shooting and might have become disoriented while walking back to his stepfather's house.

Smith had been at the same bar as Cramer, but it does not appear the men knew each other.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    "WOODY SAYS"
    WhenNatureCalls-1.jpg
    CALL BACK!!! OL'WOODSHED'S CALLS
    GITCHA ONE!!!http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=275505791
  • Options
    dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    the cops obviously didn`t believe his story about getting beat up.
    in his position if i knew i was telling the truth and was in the right i would have let it go to trial and had my say in front of a jury.
    19 months is a long time to sit behind bars if you honestly did what you thought you had to do.
  • Options
    AzhunterAzhunter Member Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The thing I don't understand, is why the wife went to get the husband, instead of calling the police, or call the police from the bar and let them deal with it. It was foolish to go back to the house themselves.
  • Options
    dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    az...maybe thats why he took the 19 months. his lawyer might have told him that he would be found guilty because he went back there without calling the cops and waiting for them to get there????
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Azhunter
    The thing I don't understand, is why the wife went to get the husband, instead of calling the police, or call the police from the bar and let them deal with it. It was foolish to go back to the house themselves.

That was what I kept coming back to when we had the disscussion when it 1st happened.