In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

New member with a GENERIC problem

burchieburchie Member Posts: 195 ✭✭✭
edited July 2009 in General Discussion
Hey everbody,
First to introduce myself.
Just a middle aged, bald, fat hillbilly from E.Tenneesse (I do wear shoes). Being a precision toolmaker/machinist for over 29 years and an avid hunter, I'VE ALWAYS BEEN INTRESTED IN FIREARMS. Haveing Recently been sucessfull on a few online auctions , I thought I would join up here and fall right in with you guys (and gals) if you will have me.
Secondly,
I appreciate all of the advice and information that I've seen posted here. The experience and knowledge one can gain from others is as valuable as any schooling and/or education that can be had at any cost. One can learn something every day if he wants to!
Thirdly, My problem.
Last week I won an auction at a very good price in my opinion. The seller has over 1400 positive feedback results and about 40 negative comments so I felt safe on my bidding on said revolver.
Well, the auction ended. I sent the postal money order and the signed FFL certified mail, the following monday with also a note containing all my contact info and asking to please e-mail me with tracking numbers when the shipment was sent out. No biggy ,right?
So after not recieving any messages from the seller, today I call on landline to inquire about the delay. Guess what? They tell me they have not recieved my payment.
Hummmmmmmm
I have postal records indicateing the time when the letter was deliverd, and who signed for it.
So after going to the post office and running a trace on the foremention mail. I find out the sales manager of the business was the one who signed for it. The lady who apperently is in charge of all the auction transactions tells me they have no records of the mail being signed for or deliverd and the sales manager says he did not sign for any mail deliverd. Also That the revolver will be put back up for sale and I will have to file a lost or stolen complaint with the Post office to have any relief with my dilemma.Plus a negative feedback. Meanwhile, now I'm out the money sent for the purchase and shipping charges for at least 60-90 days. The Smith is going back up on the block, and I'm bent over the proverbial barrel.
As you have read, I have not mentioned any names. Nor have I been vulger or beligerent to the lady I was speaking to. The sellers have not been helpfull at all!
I have no proof, but in my mind and heart, I feel the seller just doesent want to sell me the gun at the winning bid.
As stated earlier, I have all the documented info from the post office except when and if the check has been cashed yet. That will be sent to me at a later date.
I have contacted a friend who is very high up the totem pole at my local law enforcement office. He stated he would contact the postmaster and also contact BATF if needed.
Does this constitute internet fraud?
How about it O wise and knowledgeable ones.
What advise can you'all give me.
Please be civil with the comments 'cause I might be easly lulled into the dark side with revenge and hate. And we as gun owners do not need any more negative publicity. Yea...... right
Thanks in advance for reading this long first post and any advice you all might share.
DAVE
P.S. Sorry for any confusion I might have caused......[xx(]

Comments

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you need to kick his *, but be quick, this is going to get poofed. Don
  • MFinnMFinn Member Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate to tell you as silly as it seems, we can not talk about Gunbroker here [:(] You need to do via the Gunbroker web site.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    There is a support function at HELP on the auction site.

IMNSHO, a seller or buyer with "about 40 negative comments" on his feedback should have had his account cancelled.
    edited November -1
    Unlocked at burchie's request, so he can edit.
  • rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What part of east Tennessee are you from? I live in Jonesborough.
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    Unlocked at burchie's request, so he can edit.

Can you unlock all of my locked post so I can edit? Don
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,616 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would just do what you could to get your money back from the Post Office. If you have the name of someone that signed for the certified letter and they are still not honoring the agreed terms you should just leave them bad feedback and move on. They aren't going to do the right thing...its obvious. Just contact customer service and let them know if the seller tries to leave you a bad feedback. I am certain once they know you have signature conf for your payment they will not let the seller leave you bad feedback.

I'm sorry it happened to you. Just don't let it get to you.....there are VERY few of those guys and a lot more good sellers out there.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
    edited November -1
    This is one reason I prefer to pay with and be paid with personal checks. If it gets lost, I can just issue another. I can find out instantly online if it has been negotiated. If it has been forged, I can fill out one affidavit, and I am clear of it and my money is restored.

A lost postal money order takes an Act of Congress to get replaced.
  • burchieburchie Member Posts: 195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Mr. Nunn for letting me reword this mess.........

Like I said ,one can learn something every day if he wants
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have the copy of the signed PO 3849 from the PO. The PO will trace the MO after 30 days for you, it cost $ 5.00 I think. If the outfit denys signing for the letter you have proof and yes it is mail fruad. Talk to the postmaster again.
  • wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the forums![:)]
    As to your problem: IF you honestly want the gun,
    Do a little research, find out the name of the OWNER of the "store" you are doing business with(NOT by asking through e-mails, now that the imternet sales mgr. knows who you are) and talk DIRECTLY with him/her. There is something going on here,( a situation where the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing or maybe some genuine fraud within the business.)
    You might do well to let them know that EACH COUNT of "wire fraud" is punishable by up to 10 yrs in prison and something like $250k fine.

JMHO
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    I prefer to Pay with cert cks from my bank. A few years back I paid my taxes to the IRS. Months later they write and tell me they have not received my pmt. I simply went to the bank and they provided me with a copy with the original copy of BOTH sides. Back showed where they had endorsed it. Post Office is very unfriendly to do business with. They dont seem to care. I dont go there.

If someone steals from me I take it real personal. I would spend a thousand to get back a dime taken from me. Internet theft MAY be a Federal crime.

We are indeed fortunate to have NUNN watching over and looking out for us. Even if you get DUNNED BY NUNN. That aint no FUN.

Look I made a FUNNY[:0]
  • RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A man down in Florida held a small money order I sent him and said he didn't get it. I called the post office down there and the carrier said he did deliver it. He held it for about two months and then sent it back to me. $21.00 and I had to pay $5.00 to get the money back and he blocked me from ordering from him. He had a grudge against me from the forums. I keep watching his auctions because he will get pay back.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    Burchie, a friend of mine is from Maryville, with his accent, it sounds like he's saying "Murrrville". He came up here when they shut down the old Celan-se plant in Rome, Ga.
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    ok. how is this thread, clearly concerning an online auction different than mine which just last week was poofed for cause?
    I don't mind if you mods have rules and that you enforce the rules, but I don't appreciate it when my thread is not allowed when this one is clearly the exact same issue.
    I mention it because Nunn has responded to the thread so he has read it and knows it exists...
    Maybe I am "special"?
    If you have proof they signed for it, what are they saying the check wasn't in the envelope?
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by scottm21166
    ok. how is this thread, clearly concerning an online auction different than mine which just last week was poofed for cause?
    I don't mind if you mods have rules and that you enforce the rules, but I don't appreciate it when my thread is not allowed when this one is clearly the exact same issue.
    I mention it because Nunn has responded to the thread so he has read it and knows it exists...
    Maybe I am "special"?
    If you have proof they signed for it, what are they saying the check wasn't in the envelope?

Scott,

Almost 10,000 posts and you still haven't learned that the rules are enforced selectively? Wake up.

drjew
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by scottm21166
    Maybe I am "special"?If you have proof they signed for it, what are they saying the check wasn't in the envelope?

I believe, as a newcomer, he was allowed to edit out some specific nouns and pronouns.
    And yes, scott, you are special.[8D]
    edited November -1
    I think the question has been answered by now.