In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Beagles and Yotes

cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
edited June 2009 in General Discussion
Some coyotes came within 150 yds. of the house last night, sounded like quite a large pack, must have been chasing after a fawn, they were making a hell of a racket.
Now the beagles did not bark, but every one started a kind of howl.
What the heck were they doing? I figured they would be barking like mad at the yotes!

Comments

• Options
    cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
    edited November -1
    The only reason i can think of, is it was an ancient survival instinct kicking in on the part of the beagles.
    They knew they would be no match for the yotes in a battle for the fittest, so they imitated the howl of a wolf to ward them off.
    I certainly don't know, but the yotes did not stick around long after the beagles did their bit.
  • Options
    ljwrenchljwrench Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    Trying to blend in?
  • Options
    SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Bluetick Beagles hate coyotes. Killed 3 off them last season when trying to rabbit hunt. They go nuts when the yotes are howling/barking off in the distance and bonkers when one is within range of their noses. Funny thing is they don't mind the Walker hounds huntin' in the area. Just sit there and listen.
  • Options
    wvduecewvduece Member Posts: 272 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have 6 beagles in a above ground kennel i have some e callers i have turned them on here at the house my beagles will start the howling when they hear the e callers playing no barking just howling they will do the same if a ambulance or fire truck go by blasting their sirens jb
  • Options
    calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wvduece
    i have 6 beagles in a above ground kennel i have some e callers i have turned them on here at the house my beagles will start the howling when they hear the e callers playing no barking just howling they will do the same if a ambulance or fire truck go by blasting their sirens jb

My german shepard rott mix howls at sirens too. Almost imitates the siren's noise.
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    you can locate yotes doing the same thing
  • Options
    Fly DoctorFly Doctor Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    Sounds like your .22-250 and rabbit call need a workout.
  • Options
    minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wvduece

Mine like to sing along with the french harp. Used to think it hurt their ears, till I noticed they would come running if I put a Charlie McCoy album on.

You might be right about the survival instinct, Or a pack territorial marking of some sort.

Allen