In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What do yall prefer... DAO or SA/DA

old45guyold45guy Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
edited July 2009 in General Discussion
Thats the questions. just taking a poll thanks

Comments

• wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    for personal protection I like dao.
  • RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Todesengel
    for personal protection I like dao.

+1
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    SA/Cocked and locked (condition 1). DA is a solution to a problem that did not exist in personal protection handguns. While I'm not even 100% sold on DA for military and police, it definitely has no place in a personal protection handgun, unless the user is not really comfortable carrying a pistol.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    SA/Cocked and locked (condition 1). DA is a solution to a problem that did not exist in personal protection handguns. While I'm not even 100% sold on DA for military and police, it definitely has no place in a personal protection handgun, unless the user is not really comfortable carrying a pistol.
    Mark, sorry, but I believe that is a completely unfounded assumption. The majority of people will, thankfully, never know the stress involved with pulling a pistol for protection. You can train all you want with paper, and reactive targets, but the real deal is far different. Touchy 2 lb target triggers, imho, have no place in the self defense world
  • BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
    quote:Touchy 2 lb target triggers, imho, have no place in the self defense world

+1 I have seen (and taught handgun safety) to some folks who just did not get it. They were legal to carry, but maybe they should not have, especially with the SA cocked and locked.

I prefer my DAO for carry and bedside "holy crap it's 3AM and what was that crash in the kitchen!" gun.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For pocket carry DAO. Other revolvers SA/DA. Semi-auto SA.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    DAO for me personally, If I carried my 1911, we all know cocked and locked is the proper and safest way to keep it. I am not comfortable w/ the sensitive trigger under stress.

My wife(reading over my shoulder) disagrees... she says UNLOADED is the best and safest way to carry a gun.[:D][:D][:D]

This being said she does appreciate that I am willing and able to protect my family to the best of my ability and that I have taken every opportunity by law to do so.
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Todesengel
    Originally posted by mark christian
    Touchy 2 lb target triggers, imho, have no place in the self defense world

Unless you like light triggers and feel comfortable with it.
  • old45guyold45guy Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    does anyone carry a sa/da pistol?
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Colt 1911 Gov and Colt Commander BOTH IN .45, depends on how I feel each morning...seldom but sometimes my Delta Elite 10mm.
    Unless your Jerry Miculek, my 1911's shooting and reloading are faster than revolvers, fast/accurate=life.

...The Commander is a build I started last year and finished this year...trigger, trigger job of course and internals just changed to a better bar stock/titainium and all polished Wolff springs...etc...nothing changed that I cant put back original...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by old45guy
    Thats the questions. just taking a poll thanks

I prefer bolt action.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    safe action here, which of course boils down to dao.

pull it out, point it, pull the trigger. no safeties to forget to engage or disengage. one trigger pull to get used too.

simple is safe. the more steps you need to perform to engage your target, the higher the probability that you forget one or screw one up.
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    I try not to be there when it get s that bad. Safe Action for me.
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry a revolver it's always ready for DA with the SA option for accuracy and that is what I like in a semi-auto as well. I did have a High Standard derringer in 22 mag that was DAO, neat little piece, why did I ever sell it?
  • Fly DoctorFly Doctor Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    Depends on the use...

My SA is a dandy huntin' handgun. With a little steadiness, it'll knock the head off of a treed blue grouse - with authority (as well as knock down larger, lactatin' game). [;)] It's also my favorite to plink and compete with for fun.

My DAO is what I carry for "D-FENS" however. It's an issue of capacity and ease of carrying and reloading ammo under fire. Not that I've ever had to yet, thank God.
    edited November -1
    I hope your God sees fit to never put you in such a situation.
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Sig 220 SA/DA is pretty nice.
    It's comfortable and safe.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:SA/Cocked and locked (condition 1). What Mark said.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
  • wittynbearwittynbear Member Posts: 4,518
    edited November -1
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    SA/DA for me(SIG P220), DAO for Wifey (S&W 640).
  • txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dao or DAK for me. Cept for my 870, I consider that a SA...
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    I agree with mark christian, but I carry a SIG P229 SA/DA, daily because it is issued, and a Colt Pony DAO as backup, because single actions aren't allowed.

First choice has always been, and will always be, a cocked and locked 1911 pistol. I only have two, but as soon as I retire, they will be my daily carry guns.

So, to answer your question as to which I prefer: NEITHER. There is nothing wrong with the original Jonathan Browning design.

To further answer your question, of the two choices given, DAO or SA/DA, I prefer SA/DA, since it does offer the option of SA trigger pull for a precise shot if needed.
    edited November -1
    quote:, I prefer SA/DA, since it does offer the option of SA trigger pull for a precise shot if needed.

So you are saying a dao pistol is less accurate than a sa one?
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    DA/SA, stricker, DAO, or SAO. I like them all equally well.

If it is da/sa I like a halfcock noch and decocker. That way I can carry it with a round chambered off safty.

but I like to shoot a 357 or 44mag revolver SA if there is time. But then again most of the time I am shooting them at small targets at mid distances that cant shoot back.

My favorite semiauto handgun is DAO, but shooting it is light and fast. I dont like long heavy DAO triggers.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:So you are saying a dao pistol is less accurate than a sa one?

Nope, but it is easier to shoot accurately.

BTW, technically speaking, a DAO pistol is a single action (SA) because it only operates one way, but we call it DAO to distinguish it from other action types.
  • Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really like the SA trigger system that is used in my SA XD. But I also carry a DAO Kel Tec P11, that I need to practice with on a regular basis.
  • bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    DAO or SA. The DA/SA transition of trigger finger location takes alot of added practise to be proficient with double taps.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    SA/DA. My choice of SA, or DA. Both in the same gun. SA when I want it, DA when I need it. Guess by now you've figured out I'm talking "Revolver"!. Best, Joe
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Decocker...no safety to worry about being on or off.
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
    edited November -1
    I always thought the DAO was just that. Double Action because the trigger actually performs two actions. It brings the hammer rearward (1) and releases it (2) whereas a SA only releases the hammer (1).

JMHO. I'm no expert.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    I guess in all honesty it depends on the application. :)

For target and recreational shooting:
    For a revolver, I prefer a DA/SA (like my Redhawk) (also my preference for hunting).
    For a semi-auto, I also prefer the DA/SA (like the Sig 220)

For concealed carry my preference would be for DAO. But that doesn't preclude a revolver in DA/SA because the DA/SA of a revolver is not the same as a DA/SA of a semi-auto.

With the revolver I can cycle the action DA continuously. Choosing, should a situation warrant, to shoot it SA.

With a semi-auto DA/SA your first shot will be DA (unless you were to, foolishly IMO, take the precious few seconds it requires to operate the hammer) and subsequent shots will be SA automatically, which is two different trigger pulls. Regardless of what some may claim, this is a factor for shot placement in high stress shooting. So a DAO trigger pull wins for CCW in a semi.

Now, what I'd really prefer is a semi-auto is one that shoots just as a revolver DA/SA with an exposed hammer for SA fire if I want it. But, I'm unaware of a model like that (it may exist).
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Throw y'all a curve ball (this is my favorite):

How about SA only, with decocked/on safe carry? And as quick as DA? Impossible, you say? Well...

The P7PSP's are carried with the safety on/decocked. You do nothing but grab the gun in order to put it into cocked/off-safe!! What a wonderful concept! Best, Joe
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    XD "safe action" I guess you would call it.
    Not DA, and not SA.

No manual safeties to remember under stress, but still quite safe to carry.

Trigger is in between heavy DA, and light SA, but a full pull.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    I like the DAO PM9, but don't like not having second strike ability.
    1911's are my favorites, but i can't conceal them well in warm weather.
    I don't own a glock anymore, but I do like the trigger on them.