In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Teenagers??

BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
edited July 2009 in General Discussion
So, I am up so late tonight because I promised I would attempt to fix my niece's computer. Good Lord at the viruses on this machine.

Anyway, I was reading over some posts here whilst the latest scan is running from the AVAST I just downloaded, and her screen saver comes on. It's a photo slide show. Every picture is of her, a self portrait with a camera held at arms length with a kind of sideways smirk/pucker on her face.

Were we all that brain damaged when we were 14?

Comments

• 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope. When I was 14, I was on a mission to shoot every box of .22LR I could find, and catch every fish I could out of the river.[:D]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • PTHEIMPTHEIM Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Some more so than others. They can usually be clearly seen standing out in public.[:p]
  • pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    No! I have my niece w/ me and my camera has about 50 differnet poses of her w/ her finger on her cheek trying to perfect that stupid look
  • Fly DoctorFly Doctor Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 35WhelenClassic
    Nope. When I was 14, I was on a mission to shoot every box of .22LR I could find, and catch every fish I could out of the river.[:D]

I likes yer style, pardner! [:D]

Only thing is, I guess I never grew up!
  • Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can say, I have NEVER taken a picture like that. Actually, I dont think I have ever taken a picture of myself..

Fishing, hunting, shooting (used to be, now I refuse to waste ammo)... Friends, working on cars, taking two things that are broken to make one that works, etc etc..
  • BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
    quote:Friends, working on cars, taking two things that are broken to make one that works, etc etc..

Glad there are some normal teens out there. I was beginning to lose hope. [:D]
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Fly Doctor

I likes yer style, pardner! [:D]

Only thing is, I guess I never grew up!

Thanks. I had some damn good teachers![:)]

I hope I never fully grow past those....that and old cars.[:D]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
    edited November -1
    It's now nearly 1:30 in the morning and I am finding that the hardest computer jobs I do are for family! [:D]

Hundreds of infected files, over 20 different viruses. don't let your kids do that peer to peer sharing.

I could probably continue on this and get this system working without a format and reload of Windows, but I can't think of any reason I should. She can take more pictures and maybe buy some music instead of pirating it.

where is my Windows Home CD....?
    edited November -1
    Yes sir. If you would like to find a normal teen, look for one sporting an American Flag lapel pin on his hat.. You'll find one. At least around here [;)]
  • LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was 14, Dad was the one in charge of the camera and he sure wasn't going to waste hard earned money on film developing more than 3-4 times a year on me, possibly 5 if I was shaking hands with the President.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    www.ubuntu.com

Get yourself some Freedom and don't worry about it...
  • rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1
    Nope, my 14 year old works 30 hours a week @ the shop washing trucks, sandblasting and painting rims and working on his race car. hunts, fishes, and is doing his best to follow in my footsteps...(I 'shot out' a Marlin Glenfield .22, when I was his age).

5 pm everything stops at the shop and we watch Glenn Beck on Fox.
  • Stink FootStink Foot Member Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How old do you think I am he said I said well I didn't know
    He said I turned sixty five about eleven months ago
    I was sittin' in Miami pourin' blended whiskey down
    When this old grey black gentleman was cleanin' up the lounge

There wasn't anyone around 'cept this old man and me
    The guy who ran the bar was watching Ironsides on TV
    Uninvited he sat down and opened up his mind
    On old dogs and children and watermelon wine

Ever had a drink of watermelon wine he asked
    He told me all about it though I didn't answer back
    Ain't but three things in this world that's worth a solitary dime
    But old dogs and children and watermelon wine

He said women think about theyselves when menfolk ain't around
    And friends are hard to find when they discover that you're down
    He said I tried it all when I was young and in my natural prime
    Now it's old dogs and children and watermelon wine

Old dogs care about you even when you make mistakes
    God bless little children while they're still too young to hate
    When he moved away I found my pen and copied down that line
    'Bout old dogs and children and watermelon wine

I had to catch a plane up to Atlanta that next day
    As I left for my room I saw him pickin' up my change
    That night I dreamed in peaceful sleep of shady summertime
    Of old dogs and children and watermelon wine

Tom T you are rite on. yep
  • iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    My daughter is 10. She does goofy stuff like that all the time. Just being a kid.

quote:Fishing, hunting, shooting (used to be, now I refuse to waste ammo)...

Jacob...how in the world is "shooting" wasting ammo? If you enjoy it, do it. If you don't shoot, can't keep your skills up. 22lr is still relatively inexpensive. My goal when I was your age was to shoot the world's supply of it and kill every pigeon within 50 miles of my grand-dads barn! Still would be if I had more time (and my grand-dad was still alive [:(] )
  • TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Teenagers are proof of why some animals eat their young![:0]

Trinity +++
  • redhead71redhead71 Member Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my daughter is 13 she is past shooting 22lr she just shoots her ar-15 and 20ga overunder! look out boys here she comes!
  • MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    My 13 year old son came in the house yesterday afternoon and reported 13 kills for the day (9 grasshoppers, 4 flies), unconfirmed, w/ a bb gun.

We had just finished some shootin w/ 4 different pistols.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    When I was that age I worked, drove fast motorcycles and cars, and looked for a box for a salami to fit in.

I didn't have time for dumb pictures. [:)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iluvguns
    My daughter is 10. She does goofy stuff like that all the time. Just being a kid.

quote:Fishing, hunting, shooting (used to be, now I refuse to waste ammo)...

Jacob...how in the world is "shooting" wasting ammo? If you enjoy it, do it. If you don't shoot, can't keep your skills up. 22lr is still relatively inexpensive. My goal when I was your age was to shoot the world's supply of it and kill every pigeon within 50 miles of my grand-dads barn! Still would be if I had more time (and my grand-dad was still alive [:(] )
    I shoot the heck out of .22- But, I will not waste shoot 8mm, 762 39, etc. etc. etc. very much.
  • Allison9Allison9 Member Posts: 388 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pietro75
    No! I have my niece w/ me and my camera has about 50 differnet poses of her w/ her finger on her cheek trying to perfect that stupid look

Well she wasn't topless or nude was she? That's the new big thing with the teens these days. So see, it could be worse.
  • RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    It is written on the walls of Egyptian tombs 5000 years ago - "the world is doomed because the new generation is corrupting our culture".

Parents look at their children and say "they don't get it".

Children look at their parents and say "they don't get it".
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    We didn't near the electronic toys kids have now. So I know that at least we were crazy in a different way.
    My daughters did the same things you describe. I didn't have any sisters and never knew how goofy and boy crazy young girls were until then.
    Funny story. Our oldest would stay up all night summers & weekends during school year on the computer. She bought a webcam so all her internet friends could see her. One night I got up and was thirsty. Walking thru the den (where the computer was) to the kitchen I saw myself on the monitor. She was busy typing and had no idea I was there behind her.
    So I start doing all these body builder poses in my boxer shorts.
    Finally one of friends asked her, "What the hell is that fat dude behind you doing?"
    She wouldn't talk to me for a week after that.
    edited November -1
    quote:"What the hell is that fat dude behind you doing?"

I just laughed so hard that sweet tea came out my nose!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rcrxmike_2
    Nope, my 14 year old works 30 hours a week @ the shop washing trucks, sandblasting and painting rims and working on his race car. hunts, fishes, and is doing his best to follow in my footsteps...(I 'shot out' a Marlin Glenfield .22, when I was his age).

5 pm everything stops at the shop and we watch Glenn Beck on Fox.

Similar situation here. My son will be 15 in Aug. He is up w/ me every morning ready for work. He works 40 hours a week as a mason tender for my company. He is a good laborer. I have been letting him drive us in to work after we get off the highway so his driving skills are developing also.

One of my stone masons told me today that Pete jr. was a good young man. He said told me that Pete never makes excuses and says yes sir when adressed and OK when corrected or taught something. I was glad to hear this. I am glad that the guys feel he is pulling his weight and they don't look at him as daddy's boy goofing off on the job.
  • chaoslodgechaoslodge Member Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At 14 I was grew my first 10 pounds of reefer. When I was't doing that and touring with the Grateful Dead I was busy going to gun shows and antique bottle shows with my foster father. (he saw most of the dead shows with us too.) We did not even have a TV. Sex and drugs is what we had.

What the hell is wrong with kids these days?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Allison9
    quote:Originally posted by pietro75

Well she wasn't topless or nude was she? That's the new big thing with the teens these days. So see, it could be worse.

Yes, you are right. Things could be way worse! I don't pick on her too bad I just give her a razz and move on. I am thankful she still stays with us on summer break. This is the first summer I haven't had her big sister in ten years. Chelsea got a summer job and couldn't come stay w/ Uncle Pete.[:(]

and oh yeah i have heard all about the "sexting"[V]
  • Ox190Ox190 Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If she's going to use p2p download Peerguardian from Phoenix Labs. It will block 99.9% of the junk from hitting the computer.
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    When I was 14 I was working to help support Mama and me with An evening paper route and odd jobs in the neighborhood. Of course that paper route did have its BENEFITS. Lonely Military wives in the 3 trailer parks located near Charleston Air Force Base. I remember Ann Watkins Victimizing me. Robbing me of my youthful seed. Her husband off on those 90 day cruises on the George Washington SSBN 598. But me providing morale and comfort by tending the home fires. Oh so many fires[:0]
  • 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BaseJumper
    quote:"What the hell is that fat dude behind you doing?"

I just laughed so hard that sweet tea came out my nose! You owe me a new keyboard!

There. Fixed it for ya.
  • legearlegear Member Posts: 6,716
    edited November -1
    quote:Every picture is of her, a self portrait with a camera held at arms length with a kind of sideways smirk/pucker on her face.

Were we all that brain damaged when we were 14?

It starts as early as 10. I looked through the camera yesterday to show someone a pic of my 1y/o asleep in the hi-chair. I had to scan through 18 yes 18 pics of my 10 y/o sitting in the computer chair taking pics of herself. And after I found the pic I was looking for it was followed by 8 more pics of her new hair style.[:(!]
  • mowenmowen Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was 14 (last year) I could go down to the creek across from my house and shoot my Mosin-Nagant until I ran out of ammunition. Then we had a mass shooting downtown where 14 immigrants got shot, and all of the libs around here got scared. They thought it would snowball and all of the highschools would have mass shootings, so they passed a law that says all guns have to be locked up 24/7, and as a minor I'm not even supposed to know where the key is. I can't shoot anymore because if I got caught, my hunting license would be taken away, my step dads hunting license would be taken away, my gun would be confiscated, and he would problably loose his carry permit and ability to buy guns. Gotta love New York.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are about 9 pics in this little set....

100_2881.jpg

Another 7 in this one....

beforeiggothighlights.jpg

5 in this set....

meandjenny.jpg

6 of these....

playa.jpg

And an amazing TWENTY of these....

IMG_0151.jpg
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    Dang! That piercing looks painful as heck! Can she even blink wearing that thing??
    edited November -1
    The one of your daughter and the friend: The look on the friends face is exactly the look in every photo she has! Guess I am just too old to understand why that is "kewl" to post on your MySpace and why you need to fill a 16GB memory stick perfecting the look.

Reminds me of Zoolander...

zoolander_001.jpg

EDIT:

Which just gave me a FANTASTIC idea! getting my camera, and I am going to take about 100 photos of myself looking like she is and make that her screen saver for when I give her PC back.

Oh, Dude. I can't stop laughing at the thought. GENIUS!
  • ~Mr. Colt .45~~Mr. Colt .45~ Member Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

+100
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    14 is a tough year. King of the hill in junior high, but looking at being a peon again in high school. And there is a much more huge disparity between 14 and 18 versus 12 and 14. Pretty intimidating. A lotta growing up to do. And you believe the WHOLE WORLD is watching you every moment, every zit is a vast mountain of pus, every moment of embarassment is a life breaker. And it is, to some degree, 14 year olds are the world's worse critics, they are so insecure in themselves yet they take pleasure in pointing out every flaw in the other guy or girl.

Tell your niece my 17 y/o daughter sez this sort of self-exploitation comes off as pathetic and attention-needy. She is guilty herself, it was Christmas, photos of her with her younger cousins.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everything is digital...networking is the norm and you can't compare "our" teenage years to what the kids deal with today. I'm certain that when our teenagers have kids it will be something NEW that comes along and these kids all say "I remember updating my blog." I think the kids are fun to keep up with. I can't imagine what it would be like to have all that we have today when I was 17.

I think all the picture taking of themselves just shows that they are involved enough with their peers to need a good picture of themselves. Its all fun.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Read a little say by this guy. He was complaining how the youth of today were so much out of touch with their elders. They were into bad Habits. Disrespectful to their parents and authority. They were always getting into trouble and did not want to work. Guy's name was Socratese and He wrote those words about 300BC[:0]