In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

35WhelenClassic...

Fly DoctorFly Doctor Member Posts: 5,053
edited July 2009 in General Discussion
From your handle, I take it you're a 35 Whelen fan. A fella I worked with in WY had one in an old lever action, but never saw the make or model and we're no longer in touch. Do you happen to know offhand if Win or Marlin made 'em and when?

I'd like to find one, but haven't seen one since his. Probably pretty hard to find.

Much obliged,
Doc

Comments

• Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can honestly say that I've never seen a lever action chambered in .35 Whelen, I didn't know any existed. Could it be you're thinking of the .35 Remington or .35 Winchester? Either way, if I can find one, I'll let you know.

I'm definitely a fan of the Whelen, had several over the years, my favorite being the Remington 700 Classic. It's a lightning bolt on deer and elk. Not a screamer, velocity-wise, but it doesn't need to be. Doesn't beat the hell out of your shoulder either. IMHO, it never really got the respect it deserves.

Loaded with .357 diameter pistol bullets, it makes a good, medium range varmint round. Loaded with 225gr, 250gr, or 300gr bullets, it'll handle anything in North America and most anywhere else.[:)]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    Fly DoctorFly Doctor Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    Sure as shootin', it was a 35 Whelen. I'm now kinda wonderin' if it started life as a smaller caliber and was bored out. Don't know if that's possible with the chamber and all.

Thanks fer keepin' yer eye peeled!
    [:D]

BTW, I have an old .35 Winchester lever.
    That's another great caliber that was poorly mistreated by history.
  • Options
    edharoldedharold Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only lever rifle I can think of that I can think of that could reasonably converted to 35 Whelen is the 1895 Winchester.
  • Options
    pingjockeypingjockey Member Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't think the Win 1895 conversion was all that uncommon.
    Pretty much a simple rebore. Both of mine are bolt actions though.
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Reckon the 1886 is strong enough, and the action long enough?