In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

habitat for humanity

mp5shootermp5shooter Member Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2009 in General Discussion
I was watching the news and there was a story about them
foreclosing on a house that they built. A spokesman for them
said the family defaulted on their loan on the house.
I always thought the houses that they build were gifted to
low income families. The spokesman explained that each family
enters into an agreement to pay for the home. Then Habitat uses
that money to build more houses. I assumed they were funded by
donations.

Comments

• mp5shootermp5shooter Member Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What a waste!!!
    This morning I'm in home improvement mode. While driving into the next town to pick up my new custom made (odd size) storm windows, I drive past the Habitat for Humanity house built a few years ago. The dumpsters in the driveway are as big as the house. They're gutting the place already. About six months ago the place got boarded up , now H.U.D. is refurbishing the place. When this house was being built I was working 3 jobs to get the money to buy my house. I worked to the point it caused me health problems. All I knew is I wanted my own place. A place where all my toys could have a place of thier own. A garage so I could have another bike and maybe another antique car resto project. I spent years looking for a place, had a few heartbreaks too. Finally I make friends with a real estate salesman who is just starting out. He introduces me to a sympathetic mortgage manager with a local bank. I beg them to hold up the hoops and let me try to jump through them. Finally after years of people laughing at me, telling me a single guy doesn't need a house, I wouldn't be able to keep it up, etc. I finally have a place of my own. It's not without sacrifice, five years ago I'd be sitting down at the shooting range on a day like today. Today I spend most of the morning rebuilding 92 year old windows. What's got me pi$$ed off today is some damn liberal feel good group could come in tomorrow and buy the non conforming wetland lot from the town down the street, and build a house a third the size of the others on the street. Then give it to someone who has niether the knowledge or devotion to keep it up. I say give it because the house down the road was sold to it's former owner for $40,000.00 with a special subsidised mortgage. I'm just glad I don't own any of the $100,000.00 houses that surround it.

Well lunch is over, I've got a lawn to mow before it rains. Thanks for letting me spout off folks.

Woods
  • mp5shootermp5shooter Member Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    plumbed a house today for habitat for humanity. it took us about 9 hours to do the complete rough in and set a water heater. we go back on wednesday to set the finish. from the time they start framing until the people move in is 1 week. has any one else done anything for habitat for humanity?
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I helped on one a few years ago unfortunately it is the most rundown house on the street even though it is the newest one
  • e8gme8gm Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was Construction Coordinator for an affiliate for 11 years. Planned, coordinated, supervised, and worked on many week long builds. Did a one day build where we built three complete houses in one day. Back in 96 we built a complete house in 5 hrs, 57 mins. I personally had input into building about 250 houses. Finally had to leave for health reasons.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Helped build a house in Summerville and also the re-store
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    yep, and the baggypants sit and watch...then tear it up...no more[:(!]
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by savage170
    I helped on one a few years ago unfortunately it is the most rundown house on the street even though it is the newest one

That's what u get, when the new owners have nothing invested. It'll be an abandoned crack cave in another year. Completely stripped of all copper and anything else worth scrapping.[:(]
    What a shame.
  • burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    Jimmy Carter had a great idea.............. just forgot that if they don't earn it, don't help build it, they will never take care of it. sorry mp, I hope I'm wrong but you wasted your day and talent.[V][V]
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Installed some vinyl in a couple homes for a company I used to do flooring for. The Habitat lady ask me if I wanted to do some work on my own for them and I said yes. Then I ask her how many white familys get these homes and she said that most do not qualify. I ask why and she could not give me a clear answer. I then told her that I would work on the next white family's house and she said that I shouldn't feel that way. I told her that I would be glad to work on a black person's house after but I wanted to work on a white person's house first. That was about 8 years ago and she hasn't called me yet. Guess white people don't qualify for these houses.
  • trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    After talking to several people that have taken their vacations and worked on these projects ,I no longer want to .
    They come back bitter and disallusioned about the whole thing .
    I now feel that the people that qualify only see a bunch of fools to be taken advantage of .
  • Tile KingTile King Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MMOMEQ-55
    Installed some vinyl in a couple homes for a company I used to do flooring for. The Habitat lady ask me if I wanted to do some work on my own for them and I said yes. Then I ask her how many white familys get these homes and she said that most do not qualify. I ask why and she could not give me a clear answer. I then told her that I would work on the next white family's house and she said that I shouldn't feel that way. I told her that I would be glad to work on a black person's house after but I wanted to work on a white person's house first. That was about 8 years ago and she hasn't called me yet. Guess white people don't qualify for these houses.

lol. thats pretty funny... too bad its the truth.
  • Ford 23Ford 23 Member Posts: 3,129
    edited November -1
    Sounds similar to volunteering making/serving the free meals around major holidays in Cleveland. Talked to several people over the years who said never again, they couldn't believe how they were treated and couldn't believe people could be such pigs and ungrateful for a good warm free meal.

What bothered some of the volunteers most were the ones who truly appreciated the meal and how the low life's screwed it up for them
  • sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to do window work for them,I have donated several house full of vinyl insulated windows with low-e and showed up to set themfor free,Never any more,I also had a run in when I asked about some of the people recieving these houses,I did not care if they were white,black or purple but got tired of seeing middle age folks that needed a home and would take care of it turned down and some 20 something year old woman,never married with 6 kids and her live in boyfriend of the month move in and destroy it in less than a year,
  • carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My former employer built a "Habitat for Crack House," I wasn't interested after I read the stats on how many fail.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Worked on about a half dozen houses 10 or 12 years ago. Us volunteers did all the work then including plumbing and electrical. The families worked on them, too--they were required to put in 500 hrs. of "sweat equity". I loved it and will probably go back!
  • War Pig ActualWar Pig Actual Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never helped with that, but I salute those who do. It is God's work.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hmmmm..... People keep harping on me to teach my daughter to earn her own way and quit falling for her "hooplah" but it is different when we are giving to someone out of charity??? Building a house for someone who doesn't deserve it or earn it just makes me sick.

There are many families that need and truely deserve a helping hand....but I am completely convinced that the ones that fit the bill will NEVER ask for help and the ones that "qualify" are milking the system for all they can get.

If you feel like it is something that is worthwhile and good.....wake up. Obviously there are those that haven't seen these homes ONE YEAR after it is given to these leaches. Go check it out and then tell if you think habitat for humanity is any count.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    the "sweat equity" deal is a real hoot !
    From what I have been told by volunteers that the "owners" will get their Sunday school classes and family to show up .
    Their "work"(I use the word loosely )is applied to the 500 hours .
    I wish I could create a scam that good ![}:)]
  • peonpeon Member Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My big question about Habitat for Humanity was always... What happens to the houses after they're built? ... five years down the road? ...ten years down the road? I always figured they would become run down. People that couldn't afford a house through regular means are being given a house. Most of these folks are at the poverty/minimum wage level.
  • mechman460mechman460 Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by peon
    My big question about Habitat for Humanity was always... What happens to the houses after they're built? ... five years down the road? ...ten years down the road? I always figured they would become run down. People that couldn't afford a house through regular means are being given a house. Most of these folks are at the poverty/minimum wage level.

I can think of a few that are now crack houses. They dont pay bills and get their water and power turned off. Pretty sad.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am surprised to hear that so many Habitat houses go to crap.
    I thought, that with the sweat equity the homeowner had to put in, that they would take care of the house.

We were trying to start a Habitat project in the small town I used to live in in central Georgia.
    I went to one meeting, about 20 people were there.
    They were telling me that I needed to help them organize the Habitat group in that town.
    I told them, "I am not an organizer, I am a carpenter. I want to saw 2x4s. If it is up to me, this group will not get organized."
    I left my phone number but they never called, I guess they never got organized.

Does anybody have stats on what percentage of Habitat houses go to crap?
  • Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, they built one here several years ago. They went to check on the family that had moved in less than a month prior and the house was empty, all the appliances were gone and nobody knew nothing about it.

Bode
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    I'm sure they mean well, but Habitat got took by one gal I know from my hometown.
    This gal has spent her life on the on the govt. dime. Has played the system like a chess master. And talked Habitat into building her a house. I must say I find it pretty disgusting.
  • e8gme8gm Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by burdz19
    Jimmy Carter had a great idea.............. just forgot that if they don't earn it, don't help build it, they will never take care of it. sorry mp, I hope I'm wrong but you wasted your day and talent.[V][V]

Wasn't Jimmy Carter's idea. He came to the project years after it was started to lend name recognition. Actually started by a millionaire who was a christian named Millard Fuller. Google Habitat for Humanity for the whole story.

The affiliate I worked for built on average 60 houses per year. We got back less than 1% on average. True some of the houses were not maintained but most were. The homeowners were required (at least at our affliate) to attend 10 classes dealing with the responsibilties of home ownership. Most of these people came from a family history of renters and had never owned a piece of real estate. But even if we got the house back we would rehab it and put another needy family in it.

Contrary to popular belief, Habitat for Humnanity is not a give away program. The homeowners have to pay the mortage or get evicted. True they pay on a no interest loan so the payments are kept very low but pay they must.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being near Birmingham you can just imagine what types get the benefit of any charity around here. I would LOVE to see a family that has tried to have something by working hard and just couldn't get over the hurdles life throws at them.....get a helping hand by something like Habitat for Humanity. Around here you see the ghetto crap slinking around without a job.....collecting food stamps....wearing tacky gold jewelry and crazy fake nails. That is who gets the houses from Habitat around here.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    The only 3 I have worked on went to deserving families. One in particular touched me. 4 kids, whose parents were killed in a MVA, grandparents had taken them in 4 years previous to building the house. Had a hard time making ends meet. ALL of them worked hard on it, and put in lots of sweat equity, more than required. That one was about 15 years ago, kids are gone, but grand-parents are still there and doing well. Other 2 were just as deserving, both black families, but that doesn't matter. Like anything else, some will take advantage of the situation, but you can't let those few ruin it for the others, or take away your joy and pleasure at helping.
  • minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    As long as they stick to single homes I have no problem with them.

Its when they want to build projects that the benevolence ends!

http://tinyurl.com/mj5qoc

This location is between two high end "gated communitys" While I found it entertaining to hear the protests from the 'idle rich', a development (judging by the 'sucess' of a couple of other HFH 'projects') with all its attendant problems would not enhance the neighborhood.

Allen