In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

ASP VS Solid SteeL

bocacciobocaccio Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited June 2008 in General Discussion
I have a solid steel 26" baton. I think it's awesome. What is the difference in it and an ASP baton?

Comments

• nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    Solid steel? Or hollow aluminum? I have seen the latter but not the former. Seems to me a 26" solid steel baton would be terribly heavy.

ASP makes a number of different batons. I have a one-piece ASP made of polycarbonate (I think, some kind of plastic) and a collapsible one made of steel. I have never hit anyone with either of them.
  • bocacciobocaccio Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=100517339

I hope that is the correct link. I got a killer deal with him. Although I live only 15minutes away from a Gall's store in Lexington,KY and can go there to get an ASP. I am trying to find the cheap way out. So, is there any reason to get the asp version or not?
  • wartigerwartiger Member Posts: 3,861
    edited November -1
    Look at the Gall's brand of "ASP" batons. They are made by ASP with the same quality, but marketed under the Gall's brand and alot cheaper price wise. Don't buy a cheap knock off, I have seen this bend when striking a suspect, making them useless and inoperable. I currently carry the Gall's 26" electroless and it functions perfectly.
  • bocacciobocaccio Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I personally like this item for trips. It will get me in less trouble than my glock will. Personal protection when traveling with my wife and kids is what i mean.
    I guess I'm gonna look on galls.com cause I havent seen it on gb. Thanks alot!!!
  • txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have hammered before with my asp, but never hit anyone with it. As another level of force when I am off, I carry pepper spray, I like it because I don't have to be up close and personal to use it if need be.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    In Texas, you will get in a heap more trouble traveling with a club than with a pistol.
  • redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:In Texas, you will get in a heap more trouble traveling with a club than with a pistol.
    Don't you love all the crazy laws.
    edited November -1
    No lie Nunn, they can't make up their mind in Austin. They are too busy keeping it weird.
  • Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ====
    wartiger said,quote:Look at the Gall's brand of "ASP" batons. They are made by ASP with the same quality, but marketed under the Gall's brand and alot cheaper price wise. Don't buy a cheap knock off, I have seen this bend when striking a suspect, making them useless and inoperable. I currently carry the Gall's 26" electroless and it functions perfectly.YOWZA BOSS!! I'd probably be useless and inoperable if you hit me with one of those things, too!!

Here in California, we can't own or carry these telescopic baton things. I carry in the car a rattan hooked walking cane with a brass end tip epoxied on, in addition to other items.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FWIW, many states have all sorts of laws about carrying striking implements- ASPs, blackjacks, saps, nunchuka, metal knucks, etc ad infinitum. Say, you know, getting old is a durned shame. Bad ankle. bad knee- just can't navigate worth a hoot without my walking stick. This one here is made of ironwood- and the brass head makes for a good grip. Of course, as you get older, you lose a lot of your vision when it gets dark, and you need more light to see. Pass me that maglight, wouldja? Yeah, the one that uses C Cell batteries. A lot of C cells- but its good and bright. And have not yet seen a state attempt to outlaw walking canes and flashlights. And yes, I prefer a 357 snubby for close in defense- but I travel some places I can't take that.
    edited November -1
    Cold Steel makes some really nice plastic or Krayton, whatever they call it, walking sticks. They are very durable.
  • TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always kept a large Crescent wrench hanging from the crossbar of my bicycle when I rode some places. Roadside repairs you know!