In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

BOOM

Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
edited June 2009 in General Discussion
like flushing quail out of grass...the identical triplet grangirls in their first year of college....one to Wichita with a friend , two went to Colorado with friends, maybe trying to find snow to ski...new wings have been busy

Comments

• Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Today in a suburb of LA a shipping container full of ammo went up in smoke.

Not sure if it was a hoarder or a business but 5 homes had to be evacuated while firefighters worked to put it out.

They kept clear while ammo was cooking off, then moved in to douse the flames.

EDIT.......

They just had the owner on the evening news. Ed Wyman said he had about 10,000 rds of ammo, "mostly .22's". Cameras showed lots of charred centerfire rifle rounds. Thats not much by todays standards.
  • MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    SAD, VERY VERY SAD
    [:(]
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How many rounds of ammo, of any type, be it rim or centerfire, does one have to accumulate to be referenced as a "hoarder"?

I have yet to see that answered.

Lets say John Q. Ammobuyer owns 10,000 rounds of ammo, and I own one tenth that. Does that automatically make John Q. a "hoarder" just because he owns more than I do, or is it a term made up by people that * and moan because they didn't get their chance to do the exact same thing before John Q. did?

Honestly, I'd like to see some definitive reason for the term "hoarder" in relation to ammo or reloading components, and I don't mean the usual responses like "but, but, but he didn't leave me any on the shelf[:(]" or "but, but he didn't need that much[:(!]".

Seriously, I'm not trying to start a war here over this, just like to know. Is it just sheer jealousy, hate, and/or greed?

And yes, it is sad to see 10,000 rounds go up like that. That's ammo better used via my AP-15.[;)]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it is sad--because the media will portray anyone who has that much ammo or any amount of guns over 2 as an arsenal[xx(]
  • minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nikon999
    i thought mythbusters proved that ammo NOT in a gun and cooking off in a fire wasnt dangerous

Dunno about mythbusters, but I had ammo (along with about a half a lb of FFF)cook off inside a wooden cabinet drawer during a fire. Afterward there was a lump of lead and unfired rounds at the bottom and a few hulls stuck in the sides. Firemen also had a tale about dodging bullets... Nothing penetrated the cabinet walls. Hmmmm

Seems to reason that the lighter of the two would be the one to move.

Allen
  • VinhlongVet71VinhlongVet71 Member Posts: 4,605
    edited November -1
    A live round (center fire or rim fire), tossed into a fire will
    explode much like a firecracker. If the bullet is not chambered in
    a firearm the bullet cannot produce VELOCITY. The projectile may
    travel a few feet but 99.9% of its 'full' power will be lost.

Now, if you have loaded guns in a fire. Thats a very different senario[:0]
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 35WhelenClassic
    How many rounds of ammo, of any type, be it rim or centerfire, does one have to accumulate to be referenced as a "hoarder"?

I have yet to see that answered.

According to some, 5 rounds per firearm are all you should be allowed to own, AND you should own no more than 1 shotgun and 1 rifle (both being single shots that are disassembled, locked and secured) NO handguns allowed. [:(][:0][}:)]
    edited November -1
    According to some, 5 rounds per firearm are all you should be allowed to own, AND you should own no more than 1 shotgun and 1 rifle (both being single shots that are disassembled, locked and secured) NO handguns allowed.

Tailgunner, I have to ask these people who you refer to as 'some',,
    Where do you purchase 5 round boxes of ammo??? And if a person owns
    1 shogun and 1 rifle, that person has the same firepower as a person
    who owns MANY shotguns and rifles. You can't use but one at a time.
    NO HANDGUNS ALLOWED[?] Is this group of idiots you refer to located
    anywhere in the D.C. area[}:)][:D]
    edited November -1
    VV71
    "They" say we should be happy that "they're" allowing us 2 guns, if they had their way we would be restricted to a single musket, 1 load worth of powder and a single roundball AND if you don't agree, "they" support running your home with a M1 Abrams. Since when does the normal package quanity bother a liberal? Besides, with so few rounds, it'll be easier to keep track of the serial numbers on the seperate rounds.
    Yes, I'm being a little sarcastic, and yes, the idiots represented by "they" tend to hang out near/in Wash.DC

BTW, I'd hate to think about what "they" would say about my "stash" (ammo collection) plus my "shooting" stock.
  • MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    He had only 10,000 rounds?

humph....hu....ha...haha.....har...har...hehe
    edited November -1
    "THEY" Aren't gonna be very happy with us huh[?]
    So to answer wheelenclassics question,,as to what constitutes hoarding, I suppose we are all to some degree "hoarders". On my
    bi-weekly trips to walmart, I always check their ammo. If they
    have .22 bricks, I'll buy a couple. If they are out of stock, fine
    I don't need em anyway. [B)]quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954
    VV71
    "They" say we should be happy that "they're" allowing us 2 guns, if they had their way we would be restricted to a single musket, 1 load worth of powder and a single roundball AND if you don't agree, "they" support running your home with a M1 Abrams. Since when does the normal package quanity bother a liberal? Besides, with so few rounds, it'll be easier to keep track of the serial numbers on the seperate rounds.
    Yes, I'm being a little sarcastic, and yes, the idiots represented by "they" tend to hang out near/in Wash.DC

BTW, I'd hate to think about what "they" would say about my "stash" (ammo collection) plus my "shooting" stock.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by VinhlongVet71
    Tailgunner,
    Where do you purchase 5 round boxes of ammo???

I snagged this photo off my buddies website, note the number of rounds that come in a box. This is fairly typical packaging for Kynoch's "bigger" stuff.
    http://www.ammo-one.com/450NitroExress.html

At home I have a nice plastic box (and 1 round of live factory round) for some Steyr ammo. It's a 10 round box, a big box but it still only holds 10 rounds of 460 Steyr.
    http://www.ammo-one.com/460Steyr.html
    edited November -1
    Some heavy machinery for sure![8D] Will you be on my side when
    SHTF?[?]quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954
    quote:Originally posted by VinhlongVet71
    Tailgunner,
    Where do you purchase 5 round boxes of ammo???

I snagged this photo off my buddies website, note the number of rounds that come in a box. This is fairly typical packaging for Kynoch's "bigger" stuff.
    http://www.ammo-one.com/450NitroExress.html

At home I have a nice plastic box (and 1 round of live factory round) for some Steyr ammo. It's a 10 round box, a big box but it still only holds 10 rounds of 460 Steyr.
    http://www.ammo-one.com/460Steyr.html
  • RogueStatesmanRogueStatesman Member Posts: 5,760
    edited November -1
    i thought mythbusters proved that ammo NOT in a gun and cooking off in a fire wasnt dangerous

Its not dangerous unless you're within close range. The projectile really goes nowhere, but the explosion could harm people by throwing particals and shrapnel.
  • JohnnylikesgunsJohnnylikesguns Member Posts: 2,887 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Caseings will fly. A firefighter in
    full turnout gear would be in very little
    danger.
    edited November -1
    This is true. I got the name 'crazy steve' by tossing a few .22's
    in a burn barrell at hunting camp one night. I already knew what
    the consequences were gonna be but nobody around that burn barrel did
    They scatered like a bunch of rats with Jack russells on their *.
    As the were exiting the area I heard comments such as,,, "Crazy MF?"
    I sat by the barrel and hollerd back,,,"Ignorant MF"!! The bullets
    went pop, pop, pop. They came back and I've been 'crazy steve' in
    that theater ever since.[B)]
    quote:Originally posted by RogueStatesman

Its not dangerous unless you're within close range. The projectile really goes nowhere, but the explosion could harm people by throwing particals and shrapnel.
    edited November -1
    I was sittin right there,,, then I threw in some 30.06 ,,, they went
    running down the road. [:D]