In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Man creates life.

NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
edited June 2009 in General Discussion
Seeing as most of the greatest critical thinkers of our times believe
in evolution and its path as the start of life. I cant help think
we must be very close to creating life. We have all the elements at
hand. It must just be a formula to get the ball rolling. We should
of at least created a simple single cell life form. There can't be
any divine intervention? So what could be the hold up. [}:)]

Comments

• nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    I created life. Twice. [;)]
  • NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn

Well that just (about) proves my point.[:D]
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    Not a big deal, and it was actually kinda fun.
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    I have created bacteria.
  • k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    On the field of Creation, I have hit 4 home runs.
    [^]
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    It's being done right now.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1161434/Artificial-life-created-FIVE-years-experts-claim.html

I'm sure the guys who trade scriptures like Pokeman cards will have plenty to poopah though. Fortunately, they are slowly being replaced by thinking people.
  • 1911 Gunslinger1911 Gunslinger Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1161434/Artificial-life-created-FIVE-years-experts-claim.html

I'm sure the guys who trade scriptures like Pokeman cards will have plenty to poopah though. Fortunately, they are slowly being replaced by thinking people.

Thinking doesn't mean intelligent though. Scientists exaggerate, lie and falsify their research in order to secure grants, promote their ideas/theories and sell their products. An intelligent person wouldn't put much stock in what a scientists says he can do within 5 years, only a desperate individual grasping at straws would. I find it amusing that someone like you who ridicules people for believing in God would freely and thoroughly believe the claims of someone that they don't know, who is claiming the future ability to do something that they have never done. It would seem that you are as big of a fool as you claim christians to be.
  • peonpeon Member Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NOSLEEP
    Seeing as most of the greatest critical thinkers of our times believe
    in evolution and its path as the start of life. I cant help think
    we must be very close to creating life. We have all the elements at
    hand. It must just be a formula to get the ball rolling. We should
    of at least created a simple single cell life form. There can't be
    any divine intervention? So what could be the hold up. [}:)]

Create life from nothingness, then I'll be impressed.[;)]
  • cactuspete1cactuspete1 Member Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would rather believe in science than the people that think snakes talk, bushes burn and talk without being consumed, that man can walk on water, and the dead come back to life, and women being impregnated by a ghost.
    edited November -1
    Just so there is no misunderstanding with my statement. I am a firm believer in a divine providence creating life. I do not believe a
    life form will be artificially created any time soon.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911 Gunslinger
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking

Thinking doesn't mean intelligent though. Scientists exaggerate, lie and falsify their research in order to secure grants, promote their ideas/theories and sell their products. An intelligent person wouldn't put much stock in what a scientists says he can do within 5 years, only a desperate individual grasping at straws would. I find it amusing that someone like you who ridicules people for believing in God would freely and thoroughly believe the claims of someone that they don't know, who is claiming the future ability to do something that they have never done. It would seem that you are as big of a fool as you claim christians to be.

So when is your Messiah gonna return?

It's a fact it's being done. You are dismissing the projection out of hand. I guess in your world when an architect makes a projection, it doesn't mean when a project can be finished? If the project succeeds, it succeeds. If not then, at some point it will. Pretty simple huh? So simple even a caveman could figure it out.
  • thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mankind is obsessed with playing god and unfortunately our skills have a tendency to outpace our objectivity. Is it really a good idea to experiment with gene sequences we know almost nothing about?
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Scientists have built the first synthetic genome by stringing together 147 pages of letters representing the building blocks of DNA.

The researchers used yeast to stitch together four long strands of DNA into the genome of a bacterium called Mycoplasma genitalium. They said it's more than an order of magnitude longer than any previous synthetic DNA creation. Leading synthetic biologists said with the new work, published Thursday in the journal Science, the first synthetic life could be just months away -- if it hasn't been created already.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thesupermonkey
    Mankind is obsessed with playing god and unfortunately our skills have a tendency to outpace our objectivity. Is it really a good idea to experiment with gene sequences we know almost nothing about?

What better way to learn? Why would the folks that don't think it can be done worry anyway? It can't be done, right?

Safeguards are needed, that's for sure, for when it is done. [;)]
    edited November -1
    Remember when they screamed and hollered about "Cloning" how immoral it was and it would end up "Cloning" people just to harvest organs..
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dano
    I've created chaos from time to time. [^]

I was unaware you could stir up anything, other than your coffee.

I think you could walk by chaos, if there were an oppertunity.
    I think you could get pictures of chaos, if you had a camera handy.

I just can't belive you could stir up any chaos.

[}:)][:D]
  • Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perhaps someday "life" will be created in a labratory. It has not been possible to this point, but maybe someday it will be.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn

Sure, but how many times did you try? [:D]
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
    edited November -1
    When and if the first synthetic life form is developed. I have no doubt it will be by Intelligent Design. [;)]