In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Alaskan Malamute

CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
edited June 2009 in General Discussion
We met a 6 year old Alaskan Malamute tonight. Free. Good disposition. Our 20 month old daughter seemed reasonably cool with him. Good looking. Fixed.

SHEDS A LOT!!

I don't know if we'll have time to brush it and vacuum the carpet.

Comments

• fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Doge with curled-up tails scare me.Their unpredictalbe.
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    Doge with curled-up tails scare me.Their unpredictalbe.

I'd only own a Husky dog if I got HER as a newly-weaned puppy.

Which is what we did.

Then you can make them predictable.

Which is what we're doing.

With some success.[8D]
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I bred/raised Siberian Huskies for over 20 years.

Never had a problem with them

Except - they are really boneheaded.

Doug
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    I bred/raised Siberian Huskies for over 20 years.

Never had a problem with them

Except - they are really boneheaded.

Doug

Stubborn and stupid, I can deal with, but our Siberian is stubborn and smart.

That's a whole new ball game, man.
  • calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    My wife's aunt bred/raised/showed malamutes before she passed away. From what I could tell, they were always very friendly but very loyal to their owners. Her uncle has a young one right now that goes just about everywhere with him, even to his office. The dog lies down next to him until he wants a treat, then he makes the rounds to those that he knows will give him something.

The only incident they ever had was when my sister-in-law was nipped at as she tried to crawl into the kennel (after being told not to) of a mom that had recently given birth.
  • guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't trade our Siberian Husky for any other dog in the world. The dog just loves our kids. Not a mean bone in her body.

got guns?
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are beautiful dogs including the German Shepard. But they do shed alot,our Dobermans and Boxer shed very little if you use the Vac on them thats intended to suck up shed hair. Emjoy your new companion.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I saw a lot of Malamutes the times I was in Alaska. You could not ask for a better companion or protector. Just let him know who Alpha is right off.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    My neighbor across the field has 2 females she breeds. Very sweet dogs. pretty to boot
  • susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here are a few tips. Get a zoom groom. It is a large tipped hand held groomer that doesn't irritate like a bire brush does. I brush out about a dog a day. Also, large knuckle bones in the dog food isle. Keep them in stocvk.

Here is our's. His name is Samson. He is very protective. Moved in with us at one year old and adopted us immediately. If you can picture this, he prefers to sleep under our bed so he has to go 11B (Infantry) and low crawl. He lets the little ones (grandkids) tug and pull on him with no problem. Last night he was sitting in the den, looked up and started growling toward the kitchen and mud room. Looked to see what had him spooked. There was a long jacket hanging on the carpet cleaner and I guess in the dark it looked like someone standing there.

I removed the jacket from the rug cleaner and he seemed ok after that. The little dog is Oscar de la Hoya. Samson thinks the weenie dog is his chew toy. He de-fleas him on a regular basis.

OscarandSamson.jpg
    edited November -1
    Also, brush him outside and get him a kiddie size wading pool.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 Doug W.
    Boneheaded.
    But great dogs. Like any, can be mellow or nippy depending on early life experiences. Just keep a close eye on it until you're sure.
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    do they make a flobee for dogs?
    edited November -1
    Capt, I'm telling you, get the zoom groom. The dog thinks you are petting him, not grooming him. Samson will sit forever letting me run it through his fur. It parts the rough outer layer and removes the downy undercoat very efficiently. You and the dog both will love it.

http://www.wholesalehp.com/dogzoomgrom.html
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a neighbor a single chick a while back that had bought the house next door that had a pure white siberian husky and another red siberian husky. I told my wife that one day that dog would be mine. She was pretty indifferent to both dogs. Every day when I came home from work that white one would always get excited to see me. They had a fenced in yard and we didn't so she would let our dog come over and let them play. My dog and the big white Siberian would chase each other around the yard and they had a good time. A few years later the neighbor moved in with her boyfriend and he was allergic to the dog. I ended up with the white Siberian husky for another 3 years before he had to be put down because he had diabetes. We were both diagnosed with it in the same week. We ended up putting him down on Christmas eve 3 years ago. I would have given anything to save that dog because he was so good. Its kind of ironic that this post came up this morning as my other dog a golden lab mix passed away this morning. Life will not be the same so get the dog.
  • dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a malamute one of the best dogs i have ever had. She was great with kids. They tormented her. Pulled her tail, sat on her, dragged her on the floor. She never nipped or anything. However another animal could not come in the yard or she would kill it. I never had a problem with that my neighbors hated me though. I ended up having to buy a house in the country. She loved it there. I still miss her to this day.[:p]
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    My first dog was a malamute, great dogs. But, as others have said, you have to establish yourself as alpha right from the start. The only person he ever nipped at was my ex's stepbrother (who he was unfamiliar with), who was trying to play tackle my ex-brother-in-law, who was only ten or so at the time. He jumped right on his back and nailed him in the side. But, after the incident, they were back to being friends, dog just read "threat" and was protecting his pack.
  • 8000fthi8000fthi Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are fine dogs. Just remember, never leave a young child unattended with any large dog. Fish oil in their diet and a lot of combing or brushing for dead hair.
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just get a Lab. and be done with it!
  • 320090T320090T Member Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My neighbor had one and I used to dogsit it. Sheds alot, smelled funny but was a cool dog. He used to go out to the wood shop with me and lay next to the bench. He got lots of sawdust on him but didn't mind a bit. He used to sleep outside in the snow/bad weather and in the morning would leave hair frozen to the ground. He used to protect my garden during sweet corn time, he loved to kill *, possoms, or whatever else ventured near him.
    edited November -1
    As long as I'm talking about her...

3587253259_461b2574fd.jpg

3588114780_a1befe94f9.jpg

You can't tell because of the snapshot's poor quality, but she's got blue eyes.

Lovely beast. And she'd take a bullet for my daughter.