In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

David Allen Coe

IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
edited August 2009 in General Discussion
Has anyone ever watched him live? He is coming to Denver in Nov. I might hace to go watch

Comments

• proappproapp Member Posts: 3,264
    edited November -1
    need ear protection, way too loud. couldnt here any words at all.
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    I have a couple of times. IMO how much you enjoy the show depends on if you like rowdy crowds and people who butcher their own music.
    1st time I saw him in the late 1970's, he was fairly new on the music scene. Stayed pretty close to what his records sounded like. Which is what I prefer.
    Last time his perfomances of his own songs were often barely recognizable.
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Buy his recordings if you want, but don't waste your time or money on his 'concert.'

I saw him about 4 or 5 years ago and it was awful to say the least.

Missed lyrics in songs, bad music. just awful.

DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY ON HIM!

• Horney toadHorney toad Member Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A true idiot with his hair extensions and * attitude. A local bar hired him for big money and he walked off stage after a few songs.
  • festusfestus Member Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saw him a few times back in the 80's. Agree with what has been said. If you don't start the fight, he will get one going, or used to.
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Been to several concerts of his. Great times always. Love his music.

Hey Toad, next time he is in town why don't you be a real man and call him an idiot to his face. Easy to call childish names hiding behind your keyboard. lmao
    edited November -1
    Coe was once probably a pretty tough customer. But at his age, with his lifestyle, I doubt he'd want to fight much now. Might get one started, then have some bikers finish it.
    I kind of agree w/Toad. I was once a fan, until the last show I saw. That was a man who obviosly didn't give a crap about giving the paying crowd their money's worth. In my book, that makes him a jerk.
  • minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    After the Feds got through with him, he lived in a cave and now resembles 'Hairless Joe' from Dogpatch.

Seen him lately?

He's fried. [V]

Allen
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Seen him pretty regularly up in Pecos last year, he rented a house and was cutting some tracks for a new album. Friend with a band has had him over for jam sessions(and drinks; lotsa drinks) since he lived next door, and could hear them "practicing".
    I wouldn't pay money to go see him, but Junior Brown plays AND sings better.
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    zisu4l.jpg
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
    edited November -1
    I have a real problem w/bands and artists that go on tour, and the "phone in" the performance. They got your money, and don't care if they give a quality show.
    The Rolling Stones were one of the 1st bands to really get noticed for this. And dis-satisfaction w/one of their live shows was the reason Ronnie Van Zandt of "Lynyrd Skynyrd" got into music. He wanted a band that sounded exactly the same EVERY TIME. Live or studio recording.
    Nowdays alot of bands/artist cop the attitude that they are tired of playing thier hits. Or if they do play them, give a half hearted or altered version of them.
    Hank Williams Jr. always put on a good show. But has gotten to where he ad-libs so much crap to his songs that they often barely resemble the original version.
    I'm sure it gets old playing the same songs every night. But those are the songs used to advertise the show. And the reason people pay their money to see the show. David Allen Coe lost me as a fan because he puts on a crappy show. He has good music, but doesn't care. He's obviously burned out on performing it and IMO gives the impression that he just wants to get the show over with and get drunk (er).
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Fatstrat
    I have a real problem w/bands and artists that go on tour, and the "phone in" the performance. They got your money, and don't care if they give a quality show.
    The Rolling Stones were one of the 1st bands to really get noticed for this. And dis-satisfaction w/one of their live shows was the reason Ronnie Van Zandt of "Lynyrd Skynyrd" got into music. He wanted a band that sounded exactly the same EVERY TIME. Live or studio recording.
    Nowdays alot of bands/artist cop the attitude that they are tired of playing thier hits. Or if they do play them, give a half hearted or altered version of them.
    Hank Williams Jr. always put on a good show. But has gotten to where he ad-libs so much crap to his songs that they often barely resemble the original version.
    I'm sure it gets old playing the same songs every night. But those are the songs used to advertise the show. And the reason people pay their money to see the show. David Allen Coe lost me as a fan because he puts on a crappy show. He has good music, but doesn't care. He's obviously burned out on performing it and IMO gives the impression that he just wants to get the show over with and get drunk (er).

I saw LS on VH1 Classic, was "the Old Grey Whistle Test" from the BBC, recorded shortly before the plance crash.

They were friggin' AWSOME.

As good as album, live.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MMOMEQ-55
    Been to several concerts of his. Great times always. Love his music.

Hey Toad, next time he is in town why don't you be a real man and call him an idiot to his face. Easy to call childish names hiding behind your keyboard. lmao

If I ever did meet him, I'd be glad to. Am I supposed to be afraid of this fried potato?
  • hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We won free tickets to see him in Wichita a couple years ago, He just played a malady of songs, not more than a couple verses of any of them. The show was almost worth the price of admission.
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by big800
    Has anyone ever watched him live? He is coming to Denver in Nov. I might hace to go watch

yep, make no mistake about it...he is as hard and as tough as they come..he was back then a member of the Outlaws MC 1%er, i guess he still is[;)]..i heard recently he had found religion and was settlin down quite a bit...don't know...but his music ,or some of it was as raunchy and filthy as it could be...back then he thought it was funny[V]
  • redlantrnredlantrn Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saw him live here in Kennesaw back in 2001....There were some downright scary looking folks onstage (all in camo) as well as the audience. Seemed more like a makeshift Klan rally.
    edited November -1
    If you do go, I hope he puts on a decent show. Let us know what it is like.
  • bsthedeerhunterbsthedeerhunter Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same advise as FATSTRAT. Went (took the Mrs) to a Keith Urban concert -It was louder than AC/DC in the 70's -or my MRI test. LS was the top LIVE band when I was going to festival seating(Standing suffocation) concerts. Z Z Top also put on a hellova show back with the Recycler, DEVESTATOR, ETC And by the way DAC is a legend in music but he so gone he lucky he ain't DOA. A'int we all.BS

"Home is the sailor home from sea, and the hunter home from the hill."
  • wlfmn323wlfmn323 Member Posts: 4,712
    edited November -1
    havent seen him in a number of years, saw him in a * tonk dive sorta place in columbus oh. the place was packed elbows to a holes with hillbillies, and bikers. he came out on stage, real slow, using a walker. he looked haggard. (not merle) i didnt think he was gonna make it to the mike. the whole building was silent you could hear a pin drop. he finally makes it to the mike and throws the walker across the stage grabbed the mike and said "MY NAME IS DAVID ALLAN COE!" and the place went nuts. he put on a heck of a good show,,a little over 4 hours worth.

but like i say, that was many years ago, and havent seen him since.
  • Jeepgod2002Jeepgod2002 Member Posts: 824 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went to a D.A.C. concert a few years back. He was 2 hours late getting there because he was drunk. Once he got on stage he would start singing his songs, then cut the band and talk about how great he is. In one song he stopped singing and began to rap "would the real slim shady please stand up"...I stood up and left.