In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Once upon a time.......

lindalecowboylindalecowboy Member Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2009 in General Discussion
we didn't even know where the key was to lock our house, much less our cars/trucks. Even if we went away on vacation, we didn't lock up anything.

My son lives in a decent neighborhood and a few nights ago some buzzards hit his neighborhood and broke into several cars. He lost some money and a new I-phone(he hadn't even paid for yet it was so new)

What's different today?? Does the 2nd amendment mean more to us today because it's being threatened or because we need to be more ready to protect and defend?? There has always been crime, murder since Cain slew Abel, but I don't remember it being such a problem that I truly expected to be confronted with a person of danger?????

I know it's not "the good ole days" any more, I'm about to turn 58 and I vividly remember those days of having no fear of walking alone at night, etc. I was just wondering are the criminals more bold today, more of them, more wide spread, even to rural America?? I know there's not much respect for life any more for a lot of reasons so I guess if so many don't respect life, why would they respect your person or property????

Just wondering???????? couldn't sleep, thought I would ramble about a sore subject....... thanks for being there, even in cyber land.

Comments

• spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    now there is a large class of people who believe that because they exist they are owed everything in life and besides there is seldom any real penalty for crime now...just a slap on the hand & go to therapy for your attitude...have a pair of brothers in kansas that brutally raped and killed 4 young people while the 5th managed to get to a house thru the snow and ice naked for help after being shot in the head...these animals cannot be executed because that is CRUEL and now have a 36 &37 count appeal going because prosecution was mean to them....WWWAAAHHHH...they should be DEAD DEAD DEAD.....
  • Tile KingTile King Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    spasmcreek hit the nail on the head. "there is seldom any real penalty for crime now".
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    crime is growing rapidly..and it will get worse if times don't get better...idleness is the devils workshop, desperate people do desperate things. the city and suburbs are dangerous at night..in some parts even during the day...courts do not do their job,and much because the jails and prisons are full...rural is still rural, we generally don't dial 911, an hour or two wait for the sheriff or state police is a long time, things are usually over by then, and the perpetrator has his head caved in and is in need of an ambulance or a hearse...it will get this way all over when folks have had enough[;)]
  • wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tile King
    spasmcreek hit the nail on the head. "there is seldom any real penalty for crime now".

+100

Throughout history Fear of Prosecution has been the number 1 deterrent to crime, period. There is no longer any FEAR, on behalf of the crimunal, of being prosecuted for their crime(s). I'm not going to launch into a diatribe about WHY, we all know the reasons are many and varied.
  • rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Our politicians have instilled fear of
    prosecution in our minds to protect
    ourselves-we have to change that.
    hate to say it but a movement is called
    for
  • jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lindalecowboy call me. Or tell your son to call me.
  • lindalecowboylindalecowboy Member Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jeffb1911
    Lindalecowboy call me. Or tell your son to call me.

will do, since you're working tonight, I'll try to wait until later tomorrow and give you a buzz.
  • crash2usafcrash2usaf Member Posts: 4,094
    edited November -1
    the i-phone can be tracked by the owner apparently or at least the new ones can, according to the website, and I think you can even wipe them out... Check it out on apple
  • MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    My wife used to teach in the public school system.

She sent a student (4th grade) to the Principal for jerking a girl's pony tail and slamming his desk into another occupied desk.

The principal talked to him for a few minutes, gave him an ice cream cone, and sent him back into her room.

It may have been him that did the break-ins.
  • zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am sorry to say the values have gone down the crapper in todays society.[xx(] I miss the world I grew up in![:(]
  • Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    I don't know where the keys are for my house. Have not seen them on months or maybe a year or more. Keys are also in all the motorcycles and my truck.

Guess I would move away if I had to live like a prisoner.
  • BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
    A welfare state causes that. Sounds too simple an explaination, but I think that is the root of it. If you are given everything (welfare) and never earn or trade for it, you lose your self respect. When self respect is gone, you will not respect anyone else either, and possibly blame society (or some portion of it) for your troubles.

Welfare programs should have, from day one, created a program where those people in need of it could earn it, based on their ability. No free rides. Since it did not do this, and large amounts of the population go from cradle to grave sucking on the teet of welfare, we have many more criminals in this country than we did 50 years ago, IMO.

I don't feel safe here. We live in a nice neighborhood. The older neighborhood that surrounds this newer section has recently (in the last 5 years) had some homes that did not sell, so the owners turned to HUD and rented. I won't go into any more details, I am sure you can imagine what I have to drive by everyday just to get into my own neighborhood. Way too close for comfort. the wife and I are already talking about moving in a few years.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    I support the 2A because it allows us to be ready. yes.

I live with the possibility that anything could happen at anytime.. Not because I live in high crime area, but because It could.

Yes it is bad in rural areas because there arent as many cops out here and response times are longer especially at night.
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was a show a couple years ago where they interviewed inmates and almost everyone said the only thing they fear was a homeowner that had a gun and most knew going thru the sysrem was a joke
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recon we'll be like England in the '70s with Hooligans, joblessness and only "land owners" will have guns.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shootertutor
    My wife used to teach in the public school system.

She sent a student (4th grade) to the Principal for jerking a girl's pony tail and slamming his desk into another occupied desk.

The principal talked to him for a few minutes, gave him an ice cream cone, and sent him back into her room.

It may have been him that did the break-ins.

Exactly.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Yes, the sense of entitlement and welfare as a right has destroyed any incentive to be a working, productive member of society.

As a consequence, we have a generation raised by single moms living off Uncle Sucker, since it is no longer shameful to get knocked up at 17 and having a kid out of wedlock.

Couple that with the destruction of the American judicial system by the ACLU, activist judges, and liberals in general, and there is no fear of punishment.
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BaseJumper
    A welfare state causes that. Sounds too simple an explaination, but I think that is the root of it. If you are given everything (welfare) and never earn or trade for it, you lose your self respect. When self respect is gone, you will not respect anyone else either, and possibly blame society (or some portion of it) for your troubles.

Welfare programs should have, from day one, created a program where those people in need of it could earn it, based on their ability. No free rides. Since it did not do this, and large amounts of the population go from cradle to grave sucking on the teet of welfare, we have many more criminals in this country than we did 50 years ago, IMO.

I don't feel safe here. We live in a nice neighborhood. The older neighborhood that surrounds this newer section has recently (in the last 5 years) had some homes that did not sell, so the owners turned to HUD and rented. I won't go into any more details, I am sure you can imagine what I have to drive by everyday just to get into my own neighborhood. Way too close for comfort. the wife and I are already talking about moving in a few years.

Agreed. The culture of entitlement has created a class that take no pride in ownership of their own accomplishments and property, as they did nothing to earn them, and so they have no respect for the rights nor properties of others.

Coworker of mine and I were discussing this just Friday afternoon. The building our office is in is a huge community-based social services organization that provides services (food pantry, weatherization, housing, Wheels to Work, etc...) to the low income. She was complaining about these individuals, how they have no respect for simple rules of conduct, such as using designated parking spaces, how they are rude, slovenly, selfish, and ingreatful for the services they receive, how they only want more, more, more,...

I reminded her that she, and individuals like these that she so despises, are why Obama got elected. Like in the movie "Napoleon Dynamite, "Just promise them their wildest dreams will come true..."