In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Stop the UN?gun control in the US

pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in General Discussion
From the GOA

Pro-gun Senator David Vitter (R-LA) is getting ready to introduce a bill that would block the United Nations from implementing gun control measures affecting U.S. citizens.
Entitled the "UN Second Amendment Protection Act of 2005," the bill does still not have a number, as Sen. Vitter is trying to get original cosponsors to join him.

Gun owners across America are increasingly victorious in legislative and elective battles at the local, state and national levels. Nevertheless, anti-gun internationalists, long burrowed in the UN headquarters, are planning, with some success, massive international gun control measures.

This entire week, the UN is holding the second biennial meeting of States to consider the implementation of the Program of Action to Prevent, Combat and Eradicate the Illicit Trade in Small Arms and Light Weapons in All Its Aspects.

Though couched in the flowery rhetoric of protecting victims of violence, the goal of the conference is nothing short of global gun control. The rabid gun banners to our north would seem to agree. "From Canada's perspective.... serious attention should be given to the regulation of civilian possession of small arms," said Tim Martin, head of Canada's delegation to the conference.

Sen. Vitter has meticulously documented and highlighted for his senate colleagues some of the most egregious proposals, including:

* A comprehensive program for worldwide gun control and a total ban on certain types of firearms;

* The establishment of an international tracking certificate which would be used to ensure UN monitoring control over the export, import, transit, stocking, and storage of legal small arms and light weapons;

* Worldwide record keeping for an indefinite amount of time on the manufacture, holding and transfer of small arms and light weapons;

* National registries and tracking lists of all legal firearms.

"The U.N. has no business interfering with our Second Amendment rights guaranteed by our Founding Fathers," Sen. Vitter said.

Much of the UN's agenda was conceived in a 1995 proposal, and then adopted as a Program of Action in 2001. At that time, then-Under Secretary of State for Arms Control and International Security John Bolton led the U.S. opposition to the Program. The United States has neither signed nor ratified the Program.

Sen. Vitter's bill will prohibit any U.S. funding to the UN unless the President certifies that the world body "has not taken action to restrict, attempt to restrict or otherwise adversely infringe upon the rights of individuals in the United States to possess a firearm or ammunition."

ACTION: Please contact your two senators and urge them to cosponsor the Vitter bill. You can visit the Gun Owners Legislative Action Center at http://www.gunowners.org/activism.htm to send your Senators a pre-written e-mail message.

Pre-written message

Dear Senator:
I urge you to contact Senator Vitter's office to cosponsor his draft legislation entitled, the "UN Second Amendment Protection Act of 2005."

Anti-gun internationalists, long burrowed in the UN headquarters, are planning, with some success, massive international gun control measures.

But Sen. Vitter's bill will prohibit any U.S. funding to the UN unless the President certifies that the world body "has not taken action to restrict, attempt to restrict or otherwise adversely infringe upon the rights of individuals in the United States to possess a firearm or ammunition."

Again, I strongly encourage you to cosponsor this bill. Gun Owners of America will keep me up-to-date with the cosponsorship status of this legislation.

Thank you.
Sincerely,

The gene pool needs chlorine.

Comments

• 65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kick the UN out of the country, and let the EU pay its costs. Why associate with someone that will stab us in the back any chance they get.

Whats this I hear about the american taxpayer footing the bill to help pay for renevations to the UN. Say it is not so.[:0]

Well good for Mr. Vitter (voted YEA on S. 397). I will e-mail my home senator urging him or her to support the bill.

" Those who give up a little freedom for temporary security, deserve neither freedom nor security "
    - Benjamin Franklin
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Wonder if his bill also includes the US government ?
  • BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    We should withdraw from the UN and start the League of Nations again. That is where I money should go. Let the UN go to HELL!!

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed"

. and the antithesis to this philosophy was uttered by Bill Clinton "I smoked it, but I didn't inhale."[V]

NRA Life Member
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The **** foreign countries trying to monitor and control the U.S.A. can't even take care of themselves. No international committee should tell the government of this nation what it can do.
  • 2-barrel2-barrel Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As far as the UN having any authority in this country is just wishful thinking. To push their so called authority here would be the same as a foreign invasion to take your rights and your freedoms which should be a call for arms to defeat the enemy and the UN is the enemy of anyone that believes in freedom. The very reason our forfathers gave us the second ammendment. To protect our freedoms against such trash like the UN.

2-barrel
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    god bless him......an elected legislator with some sense and the desire to protect one of our most basic rights that made this country into the great nation it is....don't back down & don't apologise to the rest of the simpering world.......screw the UN