In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Predictions for Making Money

p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
edited November 2006 in General Discussion
I see lots of newbies coming onboard thinking all the good guns are gone. Wrong!
You have a window of 7 years to get in on the ground floor of collecting if you heed my words. Most of the name field is covered, Colt, Winchester, Remington, Mauser. You may specialize, but go for the era.

The centennial of WWI starts in 7 years (1914 for the historically challanged). The old farts may remember how Civil War stuff was cheap until 1961 and soon after caught fire. Imagine that on a worldwide scale!

Weapons in the states are primary, but probably not exportable. However, edged weapons, headgear, uniforms, unit markings, medals, papers, and a zillion other things relating to Canada, the UK, France, Germany, Austria, Australia, South Africa, Hungary, Russia, Turkey and a few others are out there at flea markets for pennies on the dollar.

Knowledgeable collectors are already starting to snap up Enfields and LeBels, and even Mosins with WWI dates. Springfields, American Enfields, and Mausers are already higher than they have ever been, but a few can still be found reasonable.

People have always avoided WWI like the plague. Perhaps because it really did kill an entire generation of men. A war fought for no reason to a finish with no conclusion. 20 years later, part 2 concluded it with finality.

BTW, anyone that thinks I'm a dick, pay no heed to this and DO NOT COLLECT WWI STUFF.[:p][8D]

Comments

• dcinffxvadcinffxva Member Posts: 2,830 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking

BTW, anyone that thinks I'm a dick, pay no heed to this and DO NOT COLLECT WWI STUFF.[:p][8D]

Can we collect the WWI stuff AND still think it ? [8D]
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcinffxva

Can we collect the WWI stuff AND still think it ? [8D]

Nope, not without compromising your sacred honor and backward ideas. [}:)][:0]
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I don't know where you buy your WW1 bayonets, clothing, etc., but for a nice German or Brit bayonet from the era, expect to pay $50 for one without scabbard and $100 for one with scabbard; add $25 for a frog and for rarer models it just goes up from there. A US Springfield bayonet would easily fetch over $250.

A Gew. 98 that isn't turked will probably bring in $300 or more. Enfields, yes, they are cheap right now. A springfield? $500+ Mosins can be had cheaply too.

So while there are deals, I wouldn't make a blanket statement that all WW1 militaria is available 'pennies on the dollar'. I also would not predict that it will skyrocket when the 100th anniversary is hit. In fact, given the Hollywood films about WW2 and the fact that there are still lots of WW2 vets around, I would suspect WW2 arms to go up in price much faster.

Guns as investments are tricky; it is tempting to think that values rise by looking at old Klein's and Bannerman's catalogues, however if you factor in inflation, many types are cheaper now than ever. Some are worth more; I recently figured out that a Swiss 1889 bought for around $20 in the late 50s would today have an inflation value of $137. The 1889 is currently selling for about double that, so in 50 years, someone who bought one has doubled his money. That's not so good for 50 years. On the other hand, someone who bought a Springfield at the same time for around the same value has easily quadrupled his money. While still not overly impressive, that's not bad, either.

The point is, you never know what will go up in value or when. ALL military arms are in a climbing phase right now.
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1

No need to stop being a Dick just cause others agree with you.
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Here's a little something that somebody sent me when we were looking around for orig. boxes of headstamped WWI .45ACP ammo. I'm not into ammo collecting but some of my friends are - fun, a LOT less pricey than gun collecting ... and as interesting as heck![8D]

2?
  • hicap47hicap47 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    P3......Well gee, why don't you go ahead and give out the formula for Coke or the recipe for Jack's secret sauce......Now that you have betrayed the Clandestine Order of WWI Collectors, Accumulators & Greedy Hoarders, you are banned for life.....Send back your secret decoder ring.....
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hicap47
    P3......Well gee, why don't you go ahead and give out the formula for Coke or the recipe for Jack's secret sauce......Now that you have betrayed the Clandestine Order of WWI Collectors, Accumulators & Greedy Hoarders, you are banned for life.....Send back your secret decoder ring.....

LOL,
    When I first got involved in militaria and gun collecting, there was no one to offer any guidence. By a stroke of luck, I started buying Nazi weapons when they were cheap.
    $25 for a matching K98k, $125 for a Luger was top money. Watching the historic trends, the aging of the Boomers who need that link with the past, and the relative cheap prices of the last Victorian war ever fought brings me to the conclusions I listed.
    There is plenty of history and loot to go around for the folks that can grasp it.

Jonk,
    You just agreed with everything I said. German and US stuff (weapons) are about out of reach already.
    Lebels and Enfields are still relatively cheap.
    I can make blanket statements and have always spotted trends before most people. Six years ago I invested heavy into gold mines when my broker tried his best to disuade me. Six months ago I cashed in big. I bought stock in Checkers burger joints two years ago at a buck a share. The last time I checked (2 weeks ago) it was $15 a share. Disregard the info if you want. I don't care.
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    My CPA advises me that I am very, very close to bumping into the next higher tax bracket and if I make much more money this year it will cost me thousands and thousands of dollars in extra income tax.

So even though it sounds like good advice on buying WWI stuff, I better pass.

Thanks anyway.
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I have no WW1 Stuff, Don
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was looking at a Outdoor Life from 1960.Surplus 95 Winchesters in 30-06 were selling for 20-25 dollars.I don't know where they were surplused from but I would guess law enforcement or guards.
  • dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12

I have no WW1 Stuff, Don
    [:D][:D]
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
  • Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    ATF is cracking down on these makers of 80% firearm receivers that you could complete in your own garage with some time. The market is about dried up of these 10/22, 1911, ak47, ar15, ar10, garand.....etc....etc. ......lower receivers.

There's your investment....If you can find one.

www.cncgunsmithing.com and tanneryshop.com I believe are the last holders of lower receiver/paper weights.

Another investment is any AP bullets you can buy....not loaded. Look at how they are gaining value from collectors.
  • kristovkristov Member Posts: 6,633
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tr fox
    My CPA advises me that I am very, very close to bumping into the next higher tax bracket and if I make much more money this year it will cost me thousands and thousands of dollars in extra income tax.

So even though it sounds like good advice on buying WWI stuff, I better pass.

Thanks anyway.

No doubt that the potential of moving up from the 10% (the bottom) bracket to the 15% bracket could be a frightening prospect for you.