In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Batteries do blow!!!!

PelicanPelican Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2002 in General Discussion
Heard it but never seen it till now. This blew in my shed about 3 weeks ago. Glad I was not in there when it went.

The Almighty Himself Entrusted the Future of All Living Creatures to a Wooden Boat.- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -"Audemus jura nostra defendere"

Comments

• SP TigerSP Tiger Member Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was it just sitting on the ground when it went or was it in something? Good thing you weren't around.

Better to have and not need, than need and not have.
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats a first for me.Was it hooked up to something? Or just sitting there?

Rugster
  • pigeoncreek1pigeoncreek1 Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a battery blow while I was standing on a piece of heavy equipment, I got acid on my face and in my eyes...hurt like crazy! ever since then I have a new found respect for batteries!

Gun control is hitting your target
  • LagoLago Member Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had my truck & trailer on the boat ramp and when I hit the starter, it blew. Had to pull the battery out of the boat to get the truck off the ramp and back home.
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I heard that all batteries explode eventually.

If I'm wrong please correct me, I won't be offended.

The sound of a 12 gauge pump clears a house fatser than Rosie O eats a Big Mac !
  • jaoobjaoob Member Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I seen a battery blow at the shop one day. Battery needed a charge so was hooked up to charger and when charger was plugged in it blew the top about 20 ft. in the air. No one hurt. I believe the potential is greater on a battery that is low.

Jim
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    I have had several batteries blow up over the years. Never had one blow up spontaneousley(sp) though. Improper procedure and loose connections are the main culprit. It does not take much of an ignition source to ignite the hydrogen gas being vented from a lead/acid battery

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a Battery blow-up between my legs.
    I was riding my 6 volt 1956 Panhead and the battery is directly under the seat on a ridged frame. The seat must have somehow hit both posts (positive and negative) at the same time.

I actually thought somebody shot at me. Back then I ran with a bad crowd and was told I'm "nothing but a target" at times. It was 20 minutes later I felt the burn. Wasn't able to wear those pants again.

Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Jump-starting my old '51 Chev 6-volt off my buddies '57 Ford 12-volt and blew the whole side out of my battery. Sounded like an M-80 going off. Had to ride around the rest of the night drinking beer in HIS car.

Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • sodbustersodbuster Member Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few year back racing those little R.C. cars was pretty popular in our neck of the woods. I was racing one weekend and had one of those batteries blew up while I was charging it. No one was near it but it made quite a boom, and there was not much left of the battery.

"Just my opinion."