In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

My first AR-15 type rifle

concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
edited August 2002 in General Discussion
The other day I won an auction for my first AR-15 type rifle, a Bushmaster 20" target model! It's a post-ban with a chrome-lined barrel and chamber. I'm excited, the only other rifle I've shot like this is my brother-in-law's Colt pre-ban, which costs more than the wife is willing to overlook at the moment.

So, what can I expect? I don't care if it'll cut down a tree or if it's the best SHTF weapon, either.

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals

Edited by - concealedG36 on 07/31/2002 21:08:58

Comments

• offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very nice. I used to have an HBAR and I hear the Bushmasters are very good guns. I think you can expect quality, and a very pleasant shooting experience, and they're built to absorb recoil straight back, so not a lot of muzzle lift, I'll bet. Nice buy. Give it a light cleaning when you get it. Be sure you're getting a manual, or you can probably download a PDF of somebody's AR manual online. If not, I may be able to scare up my old AR manual as I didn't sell it with my gun. (I loved the gun but needed the money.)

- Life NRA Member
    "If cowardly & dishonorable men shoot unarmed men with army guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary...and not by general deprivation of constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878
  • sodbustersodbuster Member Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    concealedG36:
    It looks like you have a fine looking rifle there!
    I have a few suggestions. Get a Harris bi-pid adapter that fits in the bottom of the front handguard. You have to take it apart to install it but it works great and it won't get in the way when you aren't using the bi-pod. Get a shorter version of Harris bi-pod. I use my benchrest model the most. This will have you set up for some real steady, accurate shootin'. Learn how to use that A2 rear sight.
    After you spend some time shooting at 100 yds with 55 or 62 grain bullets go for the 69 grain and have fun shooting longer distances. Don't waste your money on those rinky dink little scopes that fit the AR. If you spend enough time you'll have yourself a fine weapon that you will be able to shoot accurately out to several hundred yards with IRON SIGHTS! This is the route I have taken with my Colt H-Bar, and I have more fun with it than any other rifle I own. (I bought two versions of those scopes that I mentioned, a 4X and a 3X9, sold one for half what I paid for it, and gave the other one away.)
    Have fun with your new AR!!

"Just my opinion."
  • 4wheeler4wheeler Member Posts: 3,441
    edited November -1
    I have a bushmaster A3 shorty,trust me you should love it.

"It was like that when I got here".
  • concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Offeror, thanks for the offer for the manual. The rifle isn't actually coming with one but the fine folks at Bushmaster are sending one out to me free of charge!

I'll give some thought to that bipod, Sodbuster, thanks. The rifle is used and actually comes with a scope and a b-square mount. I would like to become proficient with the iron sights anyway, though.

I also got a few hundred 55 grain FMJ and ballistic tip cartridges, that's the lightest bullet the AR-15 owner's guide from Fulton Armory recommended. My local ranges only go out to 100 yards max so I think the lighter rounds will get some good spin with a 1 in 9 twist (hopefully, with good accuracy).

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
  • MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Liktoshoot,
    Rebate coupon? Do tell.....I've been looking at Bushies for some time now.....

Merc

NO! You may not have my guns! Now go crawl back into your hole!

"Tolerating things you may not necessarily like is part of being free" - Larry Flynt
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks just like my first AR.

If I'm wrong please correct me, I won't be offended.

The sound of a 12 gauge pump clears a house fatser than Rosie O eats a Big Mac !
  • 4wheeler4wheeler Member Posts: 3,441
    edited November -1
    concealedG36----You better have more than a few hundred rounds,trust me I know.

Edited by - 4wheeler on 07/31/2002 23:28:51
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Save your pennies and get an adjustable trigger, then a free floating handguard, then a flat topped upper then a ...................etc.
    It can be a hobby in itself.
  • 4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    I got the shorter version and put a gilmore red dot on top its a blast. Red dots are good for fast target aquisition and moving targets. We fill water balloons and freeze them hang them from tree linbs and swing em. They explode pretty good and it gives a nice visual effect... Get a cheek riser, scope rail, and a compact scope and enjoy...

When Clinton left office they gave him a 21 gun salute. Its a damn shame they all missed....
  • KevMacKevMac Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the ultimate AR-15 accessory that explodes much better and much cooler than water baloons. Click me to see them.
    -KevMac

Check out my auctions!!!
  • snarlgardsnarlgard Member Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

SMILE...MAKE EM WONDER WHAT YOUR UP TO
  • vol fanvol fan Member Posts: 301 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you really get into it, and you will, you can expect to go broke buying different uppers (7.62, .22lr, a plinker.....), cases, ammo, mags, ammo, lasers, ammo, mounts, ammo, lights, ammo, scopes, ammo, rings, ammo, tools, ammo,...........But it's a blast and the most fun toy in the safe!!!

Proud member of the vast right wing conspiracy
  • Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    When I first got mine from LTS, I ran into a problem with the current production "White Box" Winchester- The stuff made in the USA wouldn't cycle the bolt, I then tried some Isreali Made "White box" Winchester and it shot fine. It also swallowed PMP, NATO, Black Hills FMJ, JHP, and SP 55Gr stuff just fine.

Bushy's are an excellent rifle and after the break-in period mine will hold some really nice groups, my last was about 1.5" offhand, at about 175 yds.

I have the XM-15E2S with the 20" Heavy Bbl, A-2 upper, Trij Iron Sights, and a Mini-Y Comp. I also replaced the A-2 foregrips with A-1's, because I like the feel of 'em better-Have fun with yours and remember that part of the fun is accessories and customizing to fit YOUR personal needs.

Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!