In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Tick Farm update - May have a building!

IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
edited July 2005 in General Discussion
Went back out the the Tick Farm aka "Nudist Camp for the Wayward Elderly Nudist" (thats a sicking joke).

Found a 30ft x 40ft metal building in the NW corner of my property, I appears to be about 10-15 yrs old with a dirt floor, but otherwise still in good condition.

Excellent find, if its mine.......[:p]

Still have not had a offical survey, was doing mine yesterday, just on land marks or areial photos.

Just one more incintive to get the surveyor out there.

The properties state is now in at least 5-6ft of high grass, with timber on 3 sides, with lots of 3-5foot diameter sandstone boulders partialy sticking out of the ground, where you least expect it.
A good way to bust a oil pan!!!

Need to figure out away to mow or kill the grass for at least 6 months.
That would give enought time to get a bulldozer in there to set fences and build my gun range.

Anybody got any ideals to kill of the vegitation for about 6 months, without damaging next years grass growth.

Cant put cattle out there,no fences, and coyotes out the rear.

Walte

Comments

• ginmasterginmaster Member Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nothing other than mowing. There are growth regulartors on the market but that will need to be sprayed more than once. You'll need a boom sprayer. Any grass killer will kill it dead and it will be filled in by weeds. Sounds like the ownership of property is giving you the first of more to come headaches.[8D] Is it in Missouri? I'd like to visit it when it's done.

Stay Alert! Stay Alive. Good luck out there.
  • silver6silver6 Member Posts: 613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Napalm.

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning!"

No really though maybe bush hog it? Other than that if there is too many trees or rocks to do that. Maybe good ole sickle and some elbow grease but there's probably an easier way.

If god meant for us to talk more than we listened he'd have given us one ear and two mouths- Vince Lombardi
  • richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    There is a Chemical called "TriMec" It is a long lasting glyphosphate salt product similar to roundup. It makes soil barrel for about 9 months.

• BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Short of tryin' to mow it while dodgin' a bunch of rocks,I'd say to get the fence up(use sheep wire on the bottom and 2 strands of barbed wire on top.) and put a bunch of sheep and goats in it.Over-stock it and then sell'em off.(Barbadoe is some good eatin'.)They'll have it cleaned up as far as they can reach in no time.If coyotes are a problem,then get a llama or two(great watch animals,but they don't like dogs either).

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    Thanks RICHBUG, will look into it Monday AM.

Land is located 4.5 miles east of Welettka OK, Hughes county, Oklahoma. 17 miles from I-40 & 100 miles door to door from home.

Hand cycle 40 acres, your out of your mind!

I'm a old fart, have enough problems just trying to make it to the bathroom.[:0]

Sure jazzed about the building, hope,hope,hope, its mine!

Anymore sugestions???
    Walte
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    SPIKE will do it.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do a controlled burn..... NOT !
  • guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you ever walk around your weedpatch and find a building.......
    You might be a redneck!

Got Guns?
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you stumble upon a building in the middle of a field.. It might be a Meth lab...[:0][:0][xx(][xx(][xx(]
  • peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    Just what I was thinking, select fire.
    Be careful, clone.

Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see !!
    NRA Life Member
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depending on how bad the grass and weeds are I would consider using touchdown or backdraft. RoundUP will not do the job on that tall of grass. You could try RoundUP Max or RoundUp UltraMax, which would be cheaper then touchdown or backdraft. Depending on how bad you have thistles, I would recommend you include a 2,4-D product in in a mix of with an all around glyphosphate salt. 2,4-D will kill thistles better then anything and keep them from coming back this year. You can then plant your grass and use the rest of the 2,4-D product that you have left next year to control broadleaf weeds and thistles while the grass is starting to grow strong.
  • CrittergitterCrittergitter Member Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Clone, no matter how you do it, it's going to cost you some money.

Chemicals cost money.

Brushhogs cost money.

Time is money.

3-5 foot boulders preclude the use of a tractor with spray booms.

Do you really have to down the growth on the whole 40 acres?

Perhaps you could hire some kids with weed-eaters to cut down specific areas...rent the weed-eaters, and..rent the kids.. just a thought...

If your beliefs aren't based in fact, TRUTH is the first casualty...
    penguins.gif