In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How long does it take to build a AR15?

IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
edited August 2005 in General Discussion
With a stripped reciever, internal lower kit, with a completed upper?
I took me about 15 minutes, to make the AR pistol and about 30 minutes for a AR rifle, due to the buttstock.

Just wondered if I was slower or faster,on building.

How long does it take you?

Walte

Comments

• MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    Thats a little faster then average I would say.
    I am really slow though. I average about 45 minutes because I have to figure in time to make a pot of coffee and switch CDs in the cd player.

ALL AMERICAN INFIDEL
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    i know a retired master armorer. he could detail strip, or assemble an ar in 15 flat, consistently. seen him do it in ten

nremtpatch.jpgNever bring an ambulance to a gun fight till it's over.av-164.gif
  • haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    Now let's see how long it takes for you to build an AK.
  • joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you mean by detail strip the whole rifle of each and every part?
    And then assemble each and every part from butt plate to barrel and
    gas tube, door and pin,handguards, bolt release, bolt pieces sight,etc.?
    If so someone has a very bad watch for timming this procedure. Please explain "detail strip". I have put together about 6 using stripped uppers and lowers to start with. First two, I had to use TM 9-1005-249-24&P G.I. Tech Manual to do them. (even being AR-15's).
  • MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    quote:Do you mean by detail strip the whole rifle of each and every part?
    And then assemble each and every part from butt plate to barrel and
    gas tube, door and pin,handguards, bolt release, bolt pieces sight,etc.?
    If so someone has a very bad watch for timming this procedure. Please explain "detail strip".
    I was thinking the same thing[;)][:)]
    Maybe "detail strip is pushing 2 pins to seperate the upper from lower and removing the charging handle and bolt carrier from upper???
    Plus when I Have ever stripped a firearm I purposly go slow as I am in no race with anyone. I have seen the fast guys and have seen the firearm after assembly with all the little tool marks. I'll take my time and be tool mark free.[:D]

ALL AMERICAN INFIDEL
  • spec.4spec.4 Member Posts: 897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it took me almost an day and half. Because I lose the roll pin for the trigger guard.[:D] Other wise it would have taken me almost 8min.

spec.4

Don't fear the night, fear what hunts at night. ME!!
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    The topics lately of "building" AR-15s has been buying a complete upper, stripped lower, and a parts kit. To do a job like that for me it would be under an hour, since all you are doing is assembling basic parts. To do a true build of an AR starting with a eveything in parts including bbl, gas tube, gas block, ect I am sure it would take half a day, plus the proper tools. Anytime I do a good cleaning I usualy pull all my parts out of my lower anyhow, it isnt that hard. That is just my quick take on it.

John
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You win.. I would be on my second beer by then..[:)]
  • MosinNagantDiscipleMosinNagantDisciple Member Posts: 2,612
    edited November -1
    It took me several hours, because every 10 minutes I would drop one of those assinine detent springs on the floor and have to go on a tedious search and rescue mission.

Also, it was my first experience with an AR rifle of any kind and I was unfamiliar with the internals.

mnd.jpg
  • danski26danski26 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In armorers school we had 30 min.....barelled reciever but everything else in pieces and mixed togther also. A bag full of pins and the rest of the parts laying on the table.

danski
  • PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    quote:MosinNagantDisciple

USA
    641 Posts
    Posted - 07/31/2005 : 9:45:12 PM

It took me several hours, because every 10 minutes I would drop one of those assinine detent springs on the floor and have to go on a tedious search and rescue mission.

I know EXACTLY what your talking about. Those detent pins are a REAL PAIN IN THE *!! Ok rant ended.

00023904.jpg
    "Gunner sabot tank! Identify! UP! Fire! ON THE WAY!!" <<boom>>

"It's all about shot placement..."
    awcountdown_sm.gif
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spec.4
    it took me almost an day and half. Because I lose the roll pin for the trigger guard.[:D] Other wise it would have taken me almost 8min.

spec.4

Don't fear the night, fear what hunts at night. ME!!
    The part I consistently loose is the spring loaded pin that retains the front hinge pin ... If don't loose that I can put together a carbine in about 15 minutes ... about 30 if I have to assemble the upper ... providing I don't loose the detent balls for the rear sight [:(!]
    GBLogo-170x60.gif
    Member Since 8/29/1999
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    On complete stripped kit, where you have to fit the barrel assy to a stripped reciever, set head space etc..
    It takes me about 4 hours to complete.

On a AK47, with a bent receiver with rails installed & with a surplus parts kit, it also takes me about 4 hour to complete one of those bears.

Walte
  • hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Assembling the upper on an AR-15 can take more than an hour, maybe four hours if you dont have the right size punches and wrenchs etc. When i bought a Double Star lower kit at a gun show I asked the guy sitting at the table if he had any tips for assembly and he offered to show me how to do assembly. I assuem this guy is an expert cause he said he'd built hundred of lowers. I took him about 15 or 20 minutes.