In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

LA trivia?

MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in General Discussion
I heard that Los Angeles is actually a shortened name of the city. The full name had like six words in it. I've tried to find the full name by searching google, but I can't find it. Does anyone know if this is true, and what the full name is?

"My faith, my country and my family will guide me; nothing more, nothing less" -Gen. Tommy Franks

Comments

• kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    If I remember correctly it is something like "Los Angeles de los cielos" or something

Love them Beavers
    info_EB.gif
  • JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe it is "Nuestra Senora Reina de los Angeles", or "Our Lady Queen of the Angels".

2002-05-21-shark.jpg

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
    Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis".
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The city of Los Angeles may have to change its name.

Also, cities like San Francisco, San Diego, and Santa Barbara could be looking for new monikers.

The reason?

They all have religious meaning in their names.

Los Angeles refers to the "City of Angels," while the others refer to names of saints. In fact, the official name of Los Angeles is "The Town of Our Lady the Queen of Angels of the Little Portion."

According to the Los Angeles Daily News, a strong legal argument could be made to force municipal name changes, based on the argument the names violate the so-called separation of church and state.

In Spainish,
    El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula

sniper1.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    [img]http://www.ice.gov/graphics/index.htm Report Suspected Violations of Immigration Laws, Call: 1-866-DHS-2-ICE.[/img]
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Guys!

"My faith, my country and my family will guide me; nothing more, nothing less" -Gen. Tommy Franks
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    now that i've read separation of church and state again,this little phrase has been in the papers way to much lately, i would really like to grab the supreme court by the throat and scream at them that ,that is not in the constitution! all i've read on here you all know this, why can't lawyers and judges get it through thier heads.

gun control is not about guns, it is about CONTROL!