In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Starting SASS Revolvers, Rifle, and Shotgun

knightriderknightrider Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
edited August 2005 in General Discussion
I was just at the Randolph Round up at Sparta, IL this weekend and enjoyed it a lot. It has been an on going dream of mine to get involved in SASS, however when I first found out about it I was in high school, had no money, car, etc. This progressed into collage with a few problems taken care of (car) and others taking its place (time). It has been three long years and I am finally getting done with school this December[:D] (crossed fingers). With is coming I am really wanting to get involved. After a few false starts (buying the wrong rifle a 30-30 and a black powder .44 Remington)I am wanting some advice on the route to take. I know it is not cheap hobby but I might be able to get my father in on the deal. But even if I can not get him involved here is what I need.:
1. Two Revolvers in .357 (I will not be including the .44 doesn't fit my hands as nice as a Colt)
2. One Rifle also in .357
3. One shotgun in 12ga.
On top of this because I don't have the biggest hands in the world I have handled a Bisley Ruger and found it quite agreeable for my hands. I can cand handle a reguar colt clone but like I said the Bisely feels better. I would like to know the ups and downs of the Bisley model revolver. I know that Ruger is not the cheapest but I am looking to quality over price in certain areas. No I can not afford a 1873 clone even though I would like one for the rifle area. If I decide to go with a Ruger I know that the Blackhawk is the cheapest but I would like to go iron sights if possable. Also what is the difference between the New Ruger Vaquero vs the older one. Thanks for the upcoming advice and prevous advice.
Knightrider

Comments

• shooter93shooter93 Member Posts: 322 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pistols...The new Vaquero is sized smaller like a Colt SAA. look at it or the U.S. Patent Arms revolver. their Basic model is a matte blue bbut fit and finish is done as well as Colt, better than ruger. Rifle...probably a Winchester 92 clone. Uberti is the best italian maker of western guns out there. You can buy some models from them others are exclusive to Cimmaron Arms. Shotgun....Clone coach guns but they all lack top quality....clone 97's...to an extent the same problem. Around here it is not uncommon to find used original 97's under 500, I paid 400 for mine. Cut the barrel off and install either a fixed choke or interchangeables.
  • richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    I am of the opinion that the ruger Bisley has the largest available grip frame. Buy rugers that fit you, an 1894 marlin or 1892 winchester, and whatever SXS 12 ga your budget allows. If you have the money buy an LC or parker, if not buy a Savage, Baikal, or stoeger.

I shoot Bisleys and wear XXL gloves.

• drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too have been wanting to get into SASS but keep on putting off buying all the guns. At one point I had a short barelled Baikal SxS 12ga coach gun. Having shot that thing with bird shot and being suprized at how painful it was, if I ever get into SASS, I plan on buying a longer barrel 20ga SxS. That 12ga kicked like a mule with light loads!

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg
  • forthhorsemanforthhorseman Member Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    US Firearms Manufacturing Company of Hartford, CT (http://www.usfirearms.com/) makes the very best reproduction Colt SAA but they are quite expensive. If you want the most authentic old west style guns at an affordable price, Uberti makes the best. Cimarron of Texas (among others) imports and sells the best of the Ubertis. Their "old model" frame SAA in .45COLT or .44WCF (.44-40)is an exact duplicate of the original style Colt 1873 SAA and can be had in the $400-$500 range or even less sometimes. They do offer it in .357MAG as well. Uberti also makes the best Winchester reproduction. Cimarron (among others) imports these as well and offers both 1873 Winchesters and 1892 models in .44WCF or .45COLT and the carbine model can be had in .357MAG.

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Default.htm

As for shot guns, I have a Turkish made Charles Daly imported side by side outside hammer coach gun in 12ga. that I have found to be just fine. But Stoeger also has a good coach gun.
  • knightriderknightrider Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I want to thank you for the information I have received so far. I think I will clear up some things. First I am only interested in .357 or 38 cal rifles and revolvers. They are the cheapest way to get into SASS. A 44-40 or 45 LC may happen later on but until I get a real job, not Taco Bell, these calibers will have to stay on the back burner. In addition to firearms should I be looking at a standard double holster rig or fast draw rig? Crossdraw is out of the question. Too many rules and been made and doing a dance before each draw is not what I had in mind. Mainly I would like a holster that I can have my pointer finger on my left hand over the front trigger guard as I draw without making it difficult. I does not have to be fancy with silver inlays and style does not matter, just something that will do the job and is going to last. Thanks again.
    Knightrider
    edited November -1
    If you want to stay on the less expensive side of things, the Marlin 1894 Competition Cowboy lever gun in .38SPL. is a good bet at less than $700.00 for your rifle. And the Ruger New Vaquero in blue with the 4-3/4" barrel at $583.00 is not too bad. You can probably find good deals on them at your bigger gun shops or here on the Gunbroker auctions. Or if you want to go even cheaper, Taurus makes the Gaucho Colt SAA clone for under $500.00, in .357MAG. One of the nice things about the Gaucho is that it has a modern transfer bar just like the Ruger which allows you to safely carry with all 6 chambers loaded, although in CAS you'll only load 5.

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=S/A-357-B4&category=Revolver

And they make a Colt Lightning style pump action rifle that'll fire either .38SPL or .357MAG and they're only $475.00

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=C357BR&category=Rifle

The Stoeger 12ga. 20" barrel coach gun can be had for $320.00

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/coach.tpl
    edited November -1
    Horseman is paying too much for his guns. The cowboy camp can be had in the $500's, but you only need the basic 1894 which can be had in the $300's. With about an hours worth of work it will be slicker and more reliable that the CC model. the CC model is marketed and sold to those who will buy anything that says cowboy on it. The rugers can be had for less than $375 new. A baikal double will run less than $225 new.

• gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    don't forget about the Rossi Puma which is based on the Winchester 92 action , may not be as pretty as a Marlin or Winchester but they are good guns
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by richbug
    Horseman is paying too much for his guns. The cowboy camp can be had in the $500's, but you only need the basic 1894 which can be had in the $300's. With about an hours worth of work it will be slicker and more reliable that the CC model. the CC model is marketed and sold to those who will buy anything that says cowboy on it. The rugers can be had for less than $375 new. A baikal double will run less than $225 new.

You get what you pay for. I'm not paying too much for my guns. I can afford better more authentic guns, that's why I bought Cimarron imported Uberti 1873 SAA old model frame revolvers in .45COLT and had them worked to near perfection. I also bought a Cimarron Uberti 1873 lever action also in .45COLT and had it worked to be truly slick. And, my Charles Daly KBI Liberty II coach gun is a beautiful, sturdy 12ga. 20" barrel outside hammer coach gun with excellent color case hardened receiver, nicely blued barrels and a great looking walnut stock and forehand.

Now, for someone like knightrider who can't afford more expensive guns, both the options I mentioned and the ones you mentioned are decent options, except the Baikal's I've seen were junk! Of course he could also find some good deals on decent used guns. But as for me, I'll stick with my Cimarron Ubertis and my Liberty II coach gun!
  • ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Horseman,I believe he was refering to the prices you quoted for the guns .Sounded more like 'list' than 'street' is all.

As to holsters,you don't want 'quick draw' cut down holsters,IMHO.We throw in some running once in a while and security counts in a holster.drop a gun,and wave bye bye. :(
    The drop-down buscadero style are acceptable but not 'period correct.'. a belt and 2 holsters,or 2 crossed beltes with 1 holster each is more 'real' cowboy. I use 2 strongide holsters as the 'dance' and potential for a dq is just too high for me.I"m not out to win the match so good basic holsters get er done for me.
    there is guns and gear for sale all the time on the SASS Wire,the Frontier Spot,and Cas City forums.
    www.sassnet.com
    www.cascity.com
    www.frontierspot.org
    Hope to mee ya down the trail.

Throckmorton SASS #23149
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Throckmorton
    Horseman,I believe he was refering to the prices you quoted for the guns .Sounded more like 'list' than 'street' is all.

As to holsters,you don't want 'quick draw' cut down holsters,IMHO.We throw in some running once in a while and security counts in a holster.drop a gun,and wave bye bye. :(
    The drop-down buscadero style are acceptable but not 'period correct.'. a belt and 2 holsters,or 2 crossed beltes with 1 holster each is more 'real' cowboy. I use 2 strongide holsters as the 'dance' and potential for a dq is just too high for me.I"m not out to win the match so good basic holsters get er done for me.
    there is guns and gear for sale all the time on the SASS Wire,the Frontier Spot,and Cas City forums.
    www.sassnet.com
    www.cascity.com
    www.frontierspot.org
    Hope to mee ya down the trail.

Throckmorton SASS #23149

Yes, they were just quick list prices I found on each company's website just for expediency, to demonstrate that even new guns could be had a relatively low prices.
    edited November -1
    Horseman, he said he was working at taco bell for gods sake. Relative to what? $583x 2 for Vaqueros at list price is a months pay or more.

edited November -1
    In knightrider's case, his best bet is probably going to be used guns. Altogether, even the cheapest new guns are going to come to well over $1,000.00 for two revolvers, a lever action rifle and a shotgun plus leather gear and gun cart, etc. Probably closer to $2,000.00. A start up CAS shooter with a small budget is probably best advised to buy used.