In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

New job. We'll see if I last a week.

jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
edited August 2005 in General Discussion
Ten hour days, with a 45 minute commute each way.

I opted for the 5 am to 3 pm shift, rather than the 7 am to 5 pm shift. That rush hour commute would add twenty minutes to each way, assuming there are no accidents!

Some kind of construction job. A friend was offered it, and he's too busy with his full time job fixing computers and his part time job as camera man for documentries.

I don't think they needed a plumber exactly, just someone with well-rounded skills in the construction trades.

I'd guess it is prevailing wage, with 40 + 20[1.5] in the check.

This is the first "real" job I've had in over a dozen [can't say "thirteen" years!] Best keep my snide comments for my friends, and put on a smilng face at this job. [:D][:D][:D]

Comments

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That would be tough after that long off... congrats..
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Best of luck to you. It'll be tough, but I'm sure you can handle it.
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sure you'll settle into it just fine Jim.

R/

Dave
    th_bigclay.bmp
    People everywhere confuse what they read in newspapers with news.

-- A. J. Liebling
  • JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have mail!

2002-05-21-shark.jpg

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
    Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis".
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jsergovic
    a 45 minute commute each way.

When I go in at 6:30 it takes me 11 min to get two work.
    When I leave at 3;30 it takes me 45 min to a hour to get home.
    Go figure-

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Soquel.gif
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Well, FrancF, the answer is clear. Just never leave. [:D]

It takes 40 minutes to go 30 miles. I'll set the alarm for 3:15 this morning.

Yep, Joe. I'm a Philadelphia Registered Master Plumber,
    and a California Licensed Plumbing Contractor.

Anyone with common sense and an aptitude for mechanical work can be a good plumber.
    Having the certification can get you some good compensation.
    Sometimes it makes no difference.

First day, me and three guys were installing metal hand rails.
    Three guys setting up, one guy welding.

We're in the construction crew on a motion picture set.
    There are about 125 guys working it right now.

The job could go three weeks, or three months+.

A change of pace for a self-employed guy;
    the wife really likes piece of negotiable paper at week's end, though. [;)]
    edited November -1
    I got called into a supermarket/mall facility in the basement of a parking garage.
    The whole basement was a collection of stores in the heart of Chinatown.

The #1 pump on the duplex system went out, so #2 would not come on when the controls were set to automatic.

I pulled the 240V 3" outlet pump, and there was a fish tail sticking out of the grinder pump inlet.

I wrestled the pump up to the floor, and gave a tug on the fish. Just slipped from my hand. So I put my Channel Locks on it, and gave a tug.

A few inches came out, and I tugged some more. A few more came out, and I was sure it had jammed up the impeller.

Well, I kept pulling, and fully 24" of eel came out in one, clean, fresh-looking piece.

I took it over to the fish counter, and asked them if they wanted to hose it off and re-sell it! [:D]

The pump tested fine, and the guy paid $400 or so go get his fish back!

And this is no "fish story"!
    edited November -1
    Did five 12-hour days this week. Would have loved to get a sixth day, twelve hours at time-and-a-half, but we are starting to bump into one another.

The regular crew worked today, and will get things set for the rest of us this Monday.

They switched the start to 7-am. An easy commute on I-95, and the PA Turnpike home. Not much traffic either way.

The movie starts filming in a few weeks, I hear. It is by the director M. Night Shyamalan. Lady in the Water, I think it is called.

I'll be done in two, maybe three weeks.

We are starting to see the actors in the chow tent. Oh, all the food is catered by a California company, it's outstanding, and it is free. I have not eaten but a couple meals at home in two weeks.

And with the heat and activity, the belt is three notches tighter.
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Buddy if you are a plumber and not afraid of a little cold weather and willing to work, ND is crying for you to move here! There is not a decent plumber within 50 miles of where I live and it is so bad that the last remodel my wife did, she did her own plumbing, and that included the copper pipe.

My friend is one... who takes me for what I am.
    Henry David Thoreau

"If you do not allow yourself to find a positive way to get through the difficult times, you will become bitter. If you stay bitter, you do not get better." -- Joan Brock

WARNING:
    the crumsumpten of alcahol may mack you tihnk you can tipe real gode.