In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Kennesaw, GA 25 years murder free... Guess Why?

bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
edited May 2007 in General Discussion
25 years murder-free in 'Gun Town USA'
Crime rate plummeted after law required firearms for residents

http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55288

Posted: April 19, 2007
1:52 p.m. Eastern

c 2007 WorldNetDaily.com

Kennesaw, Ga., City Hall

As the nation debates whether more guns or fewer can prevent tragedies like the Virginia Tech Massacre, a notable anniversary passed last month in a Georgia town that witnessed a dramatic plunge in crime and violence after mandating residents to own firearms.

In March 1982, 25 years ago, the small town of Kennesaw - responding to a handgun ban in Morton Grove, Ill. - unanimously passed an ordinance requiring each head of household to own and maintain a gun. Since then, despite dire predictions of "Wild West" showdowns and increased violence and accidents, not a single resident has been involved in a fatal shooting - as a victim, attacker or defender.

The crime rate initially plummeted for several years after the passage of the ordinance, with the 2005 per capita crime rate actually significantly lower than it was in 1981, the year before passage of the law.

Prior to enactment of the law, Kennesaw had a population of just 5,242 but a crime rate significantly higher (4,332 per 100,000) than the national average (3,899 per 100,000). The latest statistics available - for the year 2005 - show the rate at 2,027 per 100,000. Meanwhile, the population has skyrocketed to 28,189.

By comparison, the population of Morton Grove, the first city in Illinois to adopt a gun ban for anyone other than police officers, has actually dropped slightly and stands at 22,202, according to 2005 statistics. More significantly, perhaps, the city's crime rate increased by 15.7 percent immediately after the gun ban, even though the overall crime rate in Cook County rose only 3 percent. Today, by comparison, the township's crime rate stands at 2,268 per 100,000.

This was not what some predicted.

In a column titled "Gun Town USA," Art Buchwald suggested Kennesaw would soon become a place where routine disagreements between neighbors would be settled in shootouts. The Washington Post mocked Kennesaw as "the brave little city . soon to be pistol-packing capital of the world." Phil Donahue invited the mayor on his show.

Reuters, the European news service, today revisited the Kennesaw controversy following the Virginia Tech Massacre.

Police Lt. Craig Graydon said: "When the Kennesaw law was passed in 1982 there was a substantial drop in crime . and we have maintained a really low crime rate since then. We are sure it is one of the lowest (crime) towns in the metro area." Kennesaw is just north of Atlanta.

The Reuters story went on to report: "Since the Virginia Tech shootings, some conservative U.S. talk show hosts have rejected attempts to link the massacre to the availability of guns, arguing that had students been allowed to carry weapons on campus someone might have been able to shoot the killer."

Virginia Tech, like many of the nation's schools and college campuses, is a so-called "gun-free zone," which Second Amendment supporters say invites gun violence - especially from disturbed individuals seeking to kill as many victims as possible.

Cho Seung-Hui murdered 32 and wounded another 15 before turning his gun on himself.

Comments

• SW 357MagSW 357Mag Member Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I should print this and hand a copy of it to everyone who walks through the door at Wally World.
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    I have a friend that lives in Kennesaw - he says that the year after the law was passed he read in the local paper that the burglary rate had dropped by 89%.
  • spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocklobster
    I have a friend that lives in Kennesaw - he says that the year after the law was passed he read in the local paper that the burglary rate had dropped by 89%.

Now if the rest of the nation would grasp this. Not necessarily
    make it manditory, but see thqat they can play a significant part in
    lowering crime rates.
  • joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nice town there. love that law
  • Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't get me wrong, I like the idea but there's likely another cause for the drop in crime....

Since felons are not allowed to have access to firearms, it stands to reason that Kennesaw's criminals are forced to live elsewhere.

We've been saying for years that 1% of gun owners make the rest of us look bad.....Kennesaw has figured out how to get rid of that 1%
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    From what I read about the law it is not binding, it was passed as a message to criminals.

http://www.municode.com/resources/gateway.asp?sid=10&pid=12813

Sec. 34-1. Heads of households to maintain firearms.
    (a) In order to provide for the emergency management of the city, and further in order to provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants, every head of household residing in the city limits is required to maintain a firearm, together with ammunition therefor.
    (b) Exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who suffer a physical or mental disability which would prohibit them from using such a firearm. Further exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who are paupers or who conscientiously oppose maintaining firearms as a result of beliefs or religious doctrine, or persons convicted of a felony.
    (Code 1986, ? 4-3-10)
  • spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    I'm happy to live in a town where everyone is armed.

Saying that, I'm not happy to live in a town where everyone is forced to be armed.

I respect people's rights. IMO, you have the right to be a sheep waiting to be slaughtered.

I respect people that don't like guns and don't want them in their house. However, I expect you to make rules good for your house and to leave mine the hell alone.

KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid.

If you like guns, have 'em. If you don't like guns, don't have 'em.

As for me, if my HOA would allow it, I'd post a sign in my yard that says, "We shoot first and ask questions at your funeral."