In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anyone know what these symptoms are?

dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
edited April 2007 in General Discussion
I'm having tunnel vision in one eye. The outside areas are dark, but I keep getting what looks like flashes of lights and I see what looks like black snow falling in the air. Even if I close or cover the eye, I get the flashes in it. No pain, but I can't see.

Am I shorting out? Blood pressure, maybe?

Comments

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • jc_crazyhorsejc_crazyhorse Member Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not trying to scare you, and not saying this is what you are experiencing. Back a few years ago, I had a small stroke. Had some of the same things going on that you describe. I lost vision in both eyes. I did have pain with mine though. Go to the doc.
  • soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    I don`t know what it is ,but it ain`t right. I`d call a doctor
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    diabetes?

I have diabetes, but this is new. One eye is fine, the other is out of whack.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Think I'll call my son and have him take me up to the hospital if he's home yet. I have to shut one eye to type.
  • soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    Good! If he`s not home call someone else. Keep us posted when you can
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have friend who became a diabetic about 2 years ago, he is now totally blind in one eye, and can only see shadows in the other, it started like your description
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tunnel vision could be glaucoma... flashes of light could be a detached retina...immediate medical help should be sought...go to ER do not wait...bestwishes... dehef... keep posted
  • LOKO383LOKO383 Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dheffley
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    diabetes?

I have diabetes, but this is new. One eye is fine, the other is out of whack.
    floaters,ie little black things heff go as quick as possible to an eye dr they will dialate your eyes sounds like bleeding from abnormal blood vessels, high blood pressure and diabetes combined, it needs to be stopped by laser surgery to your eye,ie cauterize[sp] the abnormal vessels to stop bleeding, dont wait, i was blind for two yrs w/this, diabetic retinopathy look it up on the web,it might take actual surgery to fix the problem, that is a vitrectomy look up that also for more info, man i hope to god its something else and im wrong ROBERT
  • DieHard4DieHard4 Member Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a guess, but I remember this happening to me when I was young, or something similar. Just felt like I was about to fall over and almost did, everything was suddenly fuzzy, but then I came to. I think it happened because I was looking at something for too long without blinking. Could also be a drop in blood pressure, which can make you faint. That happens by standing in the same spot for a long time without moving. As for what I was looking at, I believe it was the dissection of a cow eye. Just about made me faint, I was too young to see that.
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    go to hospital. could be a stroke coming on. usually the black you see is blood
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I know what they sound like to me, and being medical myself....see a dr...NOW...
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
  • nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    sugar issue maybe.
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You ain't left yet?
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • dolfandolfan Member Posts: 4,159
    edited November -1
    Wow, sounds serious. I hope he's at his doctor's office by now.
  • IAMAHUSKERIAMAHUSKER Member Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dag gumit man. Hang in there. The good Lord does test us. I am positive you will be fine.
  • buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tunnel vision is usually caused by lack of blood flow, I don't know if that's to the eye or to the vision part of the brain. whichever is it is, the cause has got to be serious and must be addressed immediately. go to the doctor asap. even if it's just one eye.
  • Slow_HandSlow_Hand Member Posts: 2,835
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dheffley
    I'm having tunnel vision in one eye. The outside areas are dark, but I keep getting what looks like flashes of lights and I see what looks like black snow falling in the air. Even if I close or cover the eye, I get the flashes in it. No pain, but I can't see.

Am I shorting out? Blood pressure, maybe?

It may be diabetic retinopathy. Get yourself to a doctor ASAP Danny. Please don't fool around or delay it. Pronto!!!
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Whatever it is, it ain't good. Hopefully you've been to the doctor's office by now.
  • TexasVetTexasVet Member Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a migrane to me, but see your doctor right away !!
  • KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know enough from "Human body" class to know that whatever you have is probably pretty serious, I am not a real doctor, I just play one in real life, so go see a real doctor ASAP.
  • spurgemasturspurgemastur Member Posts: 5,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TexasVet
    Sounds like a migrane to me, but see your doctor right away !!

My thoughts exactly. You have not just tunnel vision but snowflakes. To the extent that some are thinking "stroke," snowflakes might be good news. It sounds like a migraine.

But as TexasVet said, see your doctor anyway, and do it NOW.

Keep us posted. Meanwhile, you're in the "I hope it works out well" section of my mind.
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
  • alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    Could be a type of macular deeneration. Too much serum bleeding into the eye etc. See an eye doctor before it gets worse.
  • Daddie_TomDaddie_Tom Member Posts: 824 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its called "Migraine Aura" I have had them before. Some people get a headache after, but I don't. Scared the hell out of me the first time. But go to the doctors to be be sure..