In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How Hot ???

Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
edited May 2007 in General Discussion
Had my 30-06 at the range 2 weeks ago and not thinking(having too much fun)I let the barrel get too hot. By that I mean when I touched it 4" or so down from the chamber it was too hot to touch for more than 2 seconds.
Think it did any metallurgical damage to the barrel?

Comments

• 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope. I've had my entire AK barrel hotter than that. So hot that if you even brushed any exposed skin over metal you were sure to get a 1st degree burn, and if you held it there for a couple seconds, definatly a 2nd degree. It took several hours for it to cool down enough to put away.
  • Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
    It's doubtful. If you continued to shoot, then possible. Hopefully, Kristov will be around to better estimate. From my understanding damage only comes from extensive firing when the rifle overheats; i.e. varmint and target rigs.
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's what I thought guys but a friend of mine told me(I didn't believe it)that I need to have the barrel checked to make sure it's not junk.
  • BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    Several hours, Zulu???

Any mettalurgical change will almost always be evident. Two seconds maybe about boiling point (of water). Not enough to alter the steel.

OTOH, rumor has it that some (stainless) barrels will blow if too cold.
  • dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you could hold your hand on it for a couple of seconds, I'd bet it wasn't as hot as the hood of your car gets if it's outside on a hot summer day. My truck hood has been too hot to touch for long on several occasions, and it hasn't failed yet.[:)]
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
    edited November -1
    Not my hand just the tip of my fingers that are somewhat calased(sp).
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hunter Mag
    That's what I thought guys but a friend of mine told me(I didn't believe it)that I need to have the barrel checked to make sure it's not junk.

when i was young i had a guy tell me that shooting 6 rounds through my revolver rapid fire ruined the barrel{lol}
  • 65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan
    when i was young i had a guy tell me that shooting 6 rounds through my revolver rapid fire ruined the barrel{lol}

Well than I guess that guy that fires 6 rounds in 1 second will fast need a replacement. [:D][;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hunter Mag

LOL Go figure ya know?
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    Unless it was glowing red, don't worry about it.
  • spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    How hot do I like my wimmin?

Ssssssssssssssssssssssssmokin' [:D]

Oh wait, you asked a gun question. Shoot. Um, wait, no I mean um, darn.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Junk the barrel, not likely. Cause "some" dammage, perhaps but you dammage the barrel everytime you pull the trigger.

Worst case is that you reduced the life of the barrel by perhaps double the # of rounds you fired. Considering that a 30-06 barrel (actualy it's the throat of the chamber inside of the barrel) has a normal life of 5,000 slow fire rounds. Let's say that you heated up the barrel with the first 10 rounds, and than went through 50 rounds after the barrel was hot, than figgure that you reduced the throat life by 110 rounds of "slow fire".
    The next question is, are you (and your rifle) "good enough" accuracy wise to even be able to tell the difference between a "perfect" barrel and a "shot out" barrel?
  • wolfdog45wolfdog45 Member Posts: 584
    edited November -1
    I have had the forestock on my AK so hot that smoke was coming off of it like crazy.
    I thought the wood was going to burst into flames.
    I couldn't hardly touch the wood it was so hot.
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNAohtjG14c

Now this is to hot to handle, I don't think your was this hot ahhahah[:)][:D][:p][}:)][^]
  • stevenrayspeckstevenrayspeck Member Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I thought you were born with a 1911 in your hand.[;)][:D]