In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Sum of All Fears

garandfangarandfan Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
edited June 2002 in General Discussion
I have read the Tom Clancy book "The Sum of All Fears" and I just saw the movie. Both of them were really good. But it got me thinking, do you guys think it is possible for a terrorist to sneak a nuclear bomb into the country? Even with all of this extra security, I think if someone was really determined, they could do it.

Edited by - garandfan on 05/31/2002 20:11:55

Comments

• COONASSCOONASS Member Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With our goverment there is no doubt. This great country has too much red tape......Look at the "armed" guards at the airports.........

coonass

We Live in a World of Give And Take, But A Lot Of People Won't Give What it Takes.
  • Judge DreadJudge Dread Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have fear not to the foreighner but for your brother beside you....

JD
  • Gordian BladeGordian Blade Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe the radical Islamists have had plenty of time to get one here, if they have one. The main argument I can give you against it is that if they had such a thing here, prudence would dictate using it sooner rather than later for fear of discovery.

I don't know if I want to see the movie or not. They changed the villains to "neo-Nazis" so as not to offend anyone's delicate sensibilities.
  • BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    I thought the movie sucked. It was slow, very slow in the beginning, then they wrapped it up by skipping over critical parts. Give me a break, using a cell phone near a nuclear blast area. Hmmm, everything knocked down but the cell towers, heck on a good day my phone does not work that well. To top it off the helicopter just roles around after being blown from the sky and Ryan just walks away with a little scratch. Last but not least Ben Affleck as Jack Ryan, Geez!

As I said a bad movie, don't waste your money.

Sum of all disappointments!

Boomer

Protect our Constitutional Rights.
    edited November -1
    After looking at CNN news is clear to me they are programing the pathway for the nuking of W.DC and a total political TAKEOVER...

who? will nuke us, the answer is simple BUSH (Mabus) as to create an instant totalitarian goverment and eliminate all contenders and critics ,ANY idiot can make sense of the words in CNN propaganda.....
    Railroading the public to his "war" tune , In clear CNN words ....
    The US constitution has to go ...... we are idiots if we think they told it by "mistake" or refering to "extremes", that is conditioning
    by public statement , EEEH! we have to do it but is for your own good ...after that you may elect new leaders ,(In one of the FEMA gulags ?)

JD.

Poor choice of destiny make thoose that for upholding the law go against the "LAW".
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    when you consider the number of conex cargo containers that arrive in this country and in canada every year, and the amount of smuggled merchandise that flows through our borders each year, you must be concerned. we inspect less then 2% of these containers. the amount of drugs coming in and stolen vehicles going out without detection concerns me. these pipelines already exist, waiting for someone with the will and means to take action. this is not a criticism of those who work against this every day, but a concern voiced.

the book was great, and being a clancy fan i thought the movie sucked.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
  • jager22jager22 Member Posts: 197 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    they are already here what are you talking about....just a matter of time till detonation
  • imadorkimadork Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Clancy is an expert at predicting things. Shipping containers are the *perfect* way to smuggle a nuclear device into this country. The troubling thing is that the U.S. and other countries can't account for all of their nuclear devices. It's only a matter of time, really. It's sad...

I'm not really a dork...I just play one on TV.
  • stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    The extra security is nothing but a JOKE!
    If illegal aliens can move back and forth unimpeded across our borders, it would be childsplay to bring a nuke along for company!
  • .250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    *AHEM* Y'all might recall that about five years ago, Russia lost track of about 100 of their "suitcase nukes".

Sleep tight.
  • steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think its probably going to happen. Dont you think that President Bush should come out with a strong statement that if a nuke is detonated on U.S. soil that Iran and Iraq will feel the heat in return? Mutually assured destruction (MAD) has worked for 52 years now and I think it needs to be forcefully spoken to the Arab world. If we do get nuked, they are the ones that paid for it to happen.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    current u.s. policy on use of nbc(nuclear,biological,chemical)weapons is that we will recpond in kind with no negotiations, and no delay. this policy has been in place since the 40's. of course this applies to nation states, not splinter groups, factions, or terrorists. it seems like s good idea to tell these states that any group in their country, or affiliated with and supported by their country used an nbc weapon we will call down the wrath of god on their territory and peoples. i find it interesting that the arab/muslim countries stood by and did nothing when iraq used musterd gas, blister agents, and nerve gas on their muslim/arab brothers the kurds. perhaps 8 years of clinton/gore having no response to attacks against our troops, an assasination plot against a former president, and attacks against our allies have convinced them they are safe from our own nbc capabilities.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would like to see it. I haven't been disappointed with any of Clancy's books or the movies that were based upon them. There were several extras from the 10th Mountain Division used in this movie and one of my buddies had a single line in it. I'd like to see the movie just to see whether or not they edited it out.
    edited November -1
    23 nukes are already inside the US .....

With an army of over 30,000 strong .......

But that is not my fear , members inside our goverment are planning a takeover and it will be done by detonating a 250MT
    "superbomb" in the pentagon and blaming exterior "Forces" ......
    for the death of our "ruling " class, No senators no representatives
    left to disturb the agenda of the usurpers ........ a total military takeover ..... History repeating itself (Remember last days of Rome)
    as thoose will be last days of america.

Take a verry deep Look at Mount Rushmore ....

I think something is biting Lincons cheek ,and up to the right stands
    our next uncontested "ruler"...... at far right ..future (destiny).

(Were man remains silent stone speaks (White eagle)....

JD

Poor choice of destiny make thoose that for upholding the law go against the "LAW".
  • steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Judge Dread you crack me up. Are you sure its not 24 nukes?
  • Gordian BladeGordian Blade Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it's been a slow night after a disappointing weekend for our friend, Judge Dread.
  • trooperchintrooperchin Member Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw it and thought it was boring in the begining, but all of clancy's books are boring in the begining, but i loved it. Go Mr.Clark!
    That was gay but i had to say it

Go Army Beat Navy
    IF you wanna have fun jine the cavalry
  • twinstwins Member Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I heard that the Soviets had built a nuke in their embassy a long time ago. Never did hear a source to check that with though. Never looked either.

Edited by - twins on 06/03/2002 03:03:11
  • TeamblueTeamblue Member Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just got home from the movie. As a big fan of Clancy and having read all of his novels including "Sum", I though the movie was pretty good. I have to say that during the nuke scene I got an eerie feeling that this movie may be very prophetic of our country's near future. It is scary to think how easy it might be for dedicated individuals to make that a reality in our country. I also "threw a flag" on the cell phone usage near ground zero. I have yet to see a cell phone tower that I thought could withstand an overpressure wave that would knock vehicles off the road and helicopters out of the sky. Not to mention the fact that any towers left standing would likely be rendered useless by the awesome EMF pulse(electromagnetic frequency) that is generated by a nuclear explosion. Just my thoughts.

Justice through Valor 1*
  • ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BOOMERANG and TEAMBLUE - Mega dittos on your movie critiques. I don't know why this book-to-movie was such an abortion. "The Hunt for Red October " was a faithful adaptation of a Clancy novel, so it CAN be done. I won't go into detail here in the event anyone else reading this still intends to see "The Sum of All Fears". However, if you read the book and are expecting to see that experience transferred to film you may be very disappointed.
  • 4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    As porous as our borders are and as incompetent as the INS is, the only way to detur the nuclear threat is to let it be known that the United States will hold every muslim nation responsible and they will all pay the price.

When Clinton left office they gave him a 21 gun salute. Its a damn shame they all missed....
    edited November -1
    24rt ? Maybe it got lost somewere ...in a pawn shop maybe.???

• beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Crappy movie!!! Save your money and go ahead and buy the book! much better entertainment. Beach
  • thesoundguy1thesoundguy1 Member Posts: 680
    edited November -1
    Saw the movie .Wasn't TO impressed.I found it to be light entertainment.My own personal paranoia is scarier."The Peacemaker"
    with G.Clooney was plausable to.Better movie as well.
    A nuke in the United States?Sure why not...We've pi$$ed-off
    alot of people, and our national security,like the rest of"our"
    government,is run much like the now defunct Enron corporation.
    I just try every day to be better prepared for the potential
    worst case scenario.