In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Blue Gill From the lake

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited June 2004 in General Discussion
Here is a pic of typical bluegill from the lake I fish.. he is 4 3/4 inches across.

bg.jpg

Classic (the Ugly Biker)
pig.jpg
"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
Hudson.gif
900.gif

Comments

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not bad.. looks like Fly Rod material.
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The lake must have really dark water?
    [?]

Eagle_Guns.gif
    standard.jpg

When a worm wants to relax,does he go fishing?

ATF,Eagle Guns
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quite a fish there.

I stocked a pond with 200 hybrid bluegill this spring. Supposedly, they will grow to 3 pounds. Can't imagine a 3 pound bluegill and the fight it will put up.

I bet the one in your picture could be a handful on light tackle.

Rafter-S
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    We call them 'bream' down here in Gawja!

Tasty, but fighting little fish!

MVC-031S.jpg

"The Greatest Battle Implement Ever Devised!"
    -- Gen. George S. Patton
    referring to the M1 Garand
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    There is a fish in Georga, that looks like a blue gill, but I believe its called a Shell cracker or some thing like that,, I caught a bunch years ago, and if ya look in their mouth, there is a horn hanging down from the roof of the mouth, used to crack stuff before swallowing. When I first caught one, I though I had the world record blue gill, Them things is enormous

Classic (the Ugly Biker)
    pig.jpg
    "I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,068
    edited November -1
    Oh Boy bait! I catch and use them things as bait for my trotline

"When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember that it is still an evil."
    - Max Lerner
  • timbromantimbroman Member Posts: 1,164
    edited November -1
    Great stuff Classic. Not much better to catch or to fry. Cane pole and crickets or flyrod and popping bugs. That's fishing whether you're 6 or 66. Or anywhere in between.

"If the zoo is closed, drop by the Senate. You'll get the
    same feeling and you won't have to pay." Bob Dole
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    not bad

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI
  • LABWILDLABWILD Member Posts: 506 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When it comes to eatin fish, I'll take Blue Gills anyday!
  • dipitsdipits Member Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Classic take me fishing. I agree with labwild.
  • chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    Now tell us the truth, Who caught it You or BR.[:D][:D]
    edited November -1
    That blue gill was one that I caught yesterday off shore...We usually stay on shore a bit, then take the boat out more after dinner...I was on the dock, with 8 pound test and a piece of night crawler....
    When I started catching them, I told Classic that Blue Gill are like a chihuahua...you know what I mean, tiny but with a pit bull attitude...*LOL...
    That one grabbed the worm and took off like a bat outta he**...right under the dock....played with him and I got him...love the fight they put up....
    We took the boat out and Classic caught a couple of nice sized bass, I got more blue gill and one nice size catfish...not much of a fight there really, but dead weight to pull in...
    It was a good day...

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • muggstermuggster Member Posts: 420 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a lake on my Grandfathers farm,unfortunatly it's not in the family anymore but anyway....we used to catch bluegill like that all day long,man I really miss that place.There were quite a few shellcrackers in there too.Bass,Crappie,Bullfrogs and some of the biggest snapping turtles I have ever seen.

The shell crackers have a little red cresent sliver on their gill flap.

Muggster
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    That's a pretty darn big male. I caught some nice red ear this weekend with 4 of 'em topping 1lb(really big for my lake). BR, I read an article once(I have no idea when or where) about the ferocity of bluegill. Supposedly, they have the highest weight to strength ratio of all of the fresh water fish. They also are able to shake their prey 5X faster than any other fish (I'd check those stats before quoting me, but you get my drift). I was always impressed by them. Have you ever been attacked by one while swimming? Those little buggers always scare the crap outa me when they do that. Well, the full moon is in 2 days, so now is the time to start catching the big males, before you can start pullin the females off of the beds.

Good fishing,

Ben

www.RightFieldSucks.com
    edited November -1
    Fishermanben,

Where did you hear about the fullmoon thing.Interesting.
    Would other factors play into that?....like.......
    Well, the reservor I live on is higher than I have ever seen it with all this rain we have gotten.Would that ruin the fishing?

Muggster
    edited November -1
    The moon phase has a lot to do with the activity of fish,, we get tide charts here and the moon phases is printed out, some calenders have the moon phase on them showint the best fishing days...

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • 96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Classic,
    I caught a pretty big bass Monday. He was 4 inches.

Between the eyes.[:D]

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Muggster, I've been a bluegill fisherman since I could stand upright. Blue gill will spawn every full moon during the spring and summer after the lake turns over. What I know, I've learned from experience. When the females come up to spawn(before the full moon), they make a nest and generally become inactive until they're ready to lay eggs. The males will troll around looking for a female that's ready to spawn, and are generally very aggressive while searching. If you can catch females, it will be after they have laid their eggs. You usually have to fish on bottom and pull across their nest. They will remove any pests that enter their nests and want to eat their eggs. It is hard to fish for females during this period. Alot of them will swallow the bait without moving 4 inches, and usually are hooked deeply. After the spawn the females move out to structure 3-8 feet deep, this is the period when they seem to be the most hungry.

A big rain will effect fishing in a variety of ways. First of all, a cold front will shut off fishing anywhere from just a couple of hours, to couple of days. Clarity, temperature, and food supply washing in all will play into it. This time of year, clarity will probably have the biggest effect, when it gets real murkey after a big rain, combined with just a front moving through it can be very tricky to coax any fish into biting(excluding catfish which are not usually sight fishers). If you do want to catfish, it's a good idea to fish where the water is coming into the resevoir at. This is where the big lazy guys will gorge on all of the food washing in. Don't worry about depth at this time. Catfish are big eaters. I've found that the biggest cat's I've caught have been in 2-4 deep. That is where the food is during their most active months. I hope that helps, and I may not be 100% right, but that is what I've learned from my experience.

Ben(I hope that makes sense, it was written in 3 sessions)

Sorry for the hijacking, Classic[:I]

www.RightFieldSucks.com
    edited November -1
    Fishermanben

Thanks for the info,very interesting.
    We just had a buttload of rain here AND a cold front move through so the bluegill fishing will be poor but the catfishing may prove otherwise.
    BR,
    I'm gonna have to find me one of those calenders.

Muggster
    edited November -1
    Any tackle shop or bait shop would have them....

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not real learned on a bunch of species of fish, but I agree with what fishermanben said about big catfish. The 35 pound flathead I posted last week was caught in fairly shallow water, in a run-in area, murky water, the night following a severe storm, with rising water. The previous day, we had not one fish on 60 hooks...ceptin' the bait[;)]