In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Almost messed up a good gun...and my day.

Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2004 in General Discussion
Any of you guys who leave a gun in your shop, or outside somewhere for any length of time, be sure to check the barrel before shooting it. I just checked the Remington 870 I keep in my shop--loaded with number 4 buckshot. It had a dirtdobber nest in the barrel. Would not have been good had I fired it thinking it was as I had left it last summer.

After cleaning the nest out, I now will keep a peice of masking tape over the muzzle. Should have been doing that all along.

Rafter-S

Comments

• whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine all have styrafoam stoppers. Same experience. The masking tape will eventually ruin your blue, rafter.

Clouder..
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Get some barrel condoms.

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://www.galleryofguns.com

VIP Code: 900440

aglore@gci.net
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    what in the hell is a " dirtdobber "

And on the 3rd day god created the Remington bolt action rifle to protect the god fearing men from the evil muslims
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a type of Wasp.....

I also use styrafoam covers.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Liberals....
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The finish on the gun is parkerize, but I think I will take the tape off and go with a thin styrofoam plug. That sounds like a better idea.

On the question on dirtdobbers; they are a type of wasp that build thier nests of mud. They love to make their nests in small spaces, such as in pipes, and in holes in equipment. I've had them build nests in my welder...and in the carberator of a weedeater. They can be quiet a pain.

On their plus side, they stuff spiders in the nests for their young to feed on. I have broken open nests and found them full of black widows.

Rafter-S
  • redrebelredrebel Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good catch. Its a good reminder to check the barrels of every gun before you shoot it no matter how you left it.

If all the wasps and spiders killed each other and there were neither left I wouldn't have a problem with it.[;)]

dsarms_e0.gif
  • CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dirtdobber? Never heard of it.

PJ

If nobody seen you do it, how could you have done it. NRA Life Member, AF&AM
  • benzappedbenzapped Member Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:dirtdobber? Never heard of it

It is the Texas state bird.[;)]
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    black widows? sounds like fun..

GWB_logo_100.gifErie.gifak.jpg01_american_flag.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com

"I will no longer debate a liberal because I feel they are beneath contempt. Just communicating with one contaminates a person." - whiteclouder

"If the existing assault weapons ban expires, I personally do not believe it will make one whit of difference one way or another . . . So if it doesn't pass, it doesn't pass." Tom Diaz, Senior Policy Analyst, Violence Policy Center (VPC)
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    they're called muddaubers in my neck o' the woods, and they are some ferocious spider hunters. I crack their nests open and use their larvea for fishing bait. I know that they can sting, but I have never been or seen anyone get stung by one. Any of you guys ever see one sting someone.

Ben

www.RightFieldSucks.com
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    Muddaubers are not aggressive at all. When I was a kid we used to bail hay in the summer and the barns were full of them. Never saw anyone get stung. Yellowjackets on the other hand will sting you if you get anywhere near their nest.

MOLON LABE!
    allahSortbs.jpg
    An evil tree bears evil fruit. You can destroy as much fruit as you want, but it will always grow back, and it will always be evil.

Tear the tree out of the ground by the roots and burn it. Burn it to ash and grind out the embers with your boot until there's nothing left. Not a single spark. Not a single seed.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    My mother would never let me mess with dirt daubers, because they kill spiders.

Conversely, she would never let me mess with the big web weaving spiders because they kill wasps.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net