In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

First Handgun

fu007danfu007dan Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2007 in General Discussion
I am looking for advice on what type of hand gun to buy.
I will use it for target and general hobby "fun"
I am an experienced rifle handler but at this time do not have any
reloading equipment. I hope to not have to spend a large amount of
funds to get started, and would like to make an educated decision
before I purchase a gun. Any thoughts would be appreciated. [}:)]

Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not,
and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is.

Comments

• fu007danfu007dan Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well the time is upon me. Very soon I will be leaving the politicaly polluted state of New York. Due to circumstances I have been prevented from owning a handgum previously, actually IDSMAN75 and 13fister were the first to break my pistol cherry. I grew up with long guns....sorry, I'm trying to make up for it.

Anyway, it is needless to say that I have spent my fair share of time drooling and anticipating. The question is which. There are too many variables to list, however I have at least narrowed my choices a few.

1. some type of .45ACP 1911 variant, prefferably compact for concealed use. I love the Kimber CDP (not so in love with the price), which leaves me looking at a Springfield or Para, I do kind of like their DA 1911

2. a DA revolver chambered in .44MAG with a 4-6"bbl, primarily for walking in bear country (ALASKA). Maybe a 629, or an Anaconda, but what I'd really love is for S&W to put out a Mountain Gun in .44 mag

3. I think I've narrowed this one a bit. I'm leaning towards one of Taurus' Titanium .38/.357 for the wife. Has to be DA, capable of handling +P+ .38 loads, and I wouldn't mind hammerless.

I'm open to suggestions, I know that there are a WIDE varitey on this board, just interested in your perspectives,

Thanks, Josh

Some people just shouldn't be allowed to breed
    edited November -1
    I'm looking to buy my first handgun and i'm not sure what to look for. I've been considering a Springfield xd but i'd like some feedback. Also which caliber would be a good choice and provide me with cheap ammo?
    edited November -1
    I finally bought my first handgun. I have shot many of my friend's for years, but have not had my own. I bought a used auto ordnance 45. It has been stripped to a slide and frame and re-built with match grade parts. It also has some custom metal work on it. I have to work today, and the weather sucks anyway, so I will not get a chance to shoot it until Monday.
    edited November -1
    Yes, I am purchasing my first handgun soon. (don't make too many jokes) I have rifles and shotguns, but no handguns. Can anybody suggest a reasonably innexpensive (cheap), but decent .45?
    Yes, I know.. I want a 1911, but I can't afford it.
    edited November -1
    Just won an auction for my first handgun! Kahr CW9 9mm for a good price. Finally put my CHL to use.
  • catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    Best of both worlds, get yourself a Rock Island 1911.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by catpealer111

Yup, where's Kevin when you need him?
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    Price range you can afford would help us out. A Springfield 1911 can be had for under $500. Even get a nice used one for cheaper. Nothing wrong with a used gun.
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    CZ is pretty good - not sure how much their .45's run, but everything else they turn out is rock solid and reasonably priced.
  • frankcastle13frankcastle13 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sig p220s are excellent but not that cheap.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ElMuertoMonkey
    CZ is pretty good - not sure how much their .45's run, but everything else they turn out is rock solid and reasonably priced.

Yup, my first was a CZ. Here is a 45caliber beauty...

http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=43

For the money, it's hard to find a better gun.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • PensfanPensfan Member Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This might be the first time I agree with ElMuertoMonkey... CZs are top notch weapons. Best bang for the buck.

;)
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    Your first handgun should be a quality .22.

Lots of bang for the buck, and you can afford to practice enough to be good.
  • aramisviaramisvi Member Posts: 4,589
    edited November -1
    Hey there. I'm in the process of buying my first gun as well. I got here at auction. A Makarov PA-63. My next is set to be a .38 revolver for my fiance and then a 1911 in .45 for me. All I can say is shop around, test different makers if you can, and calibers as well. What you want may not be the best fit for you. I took my buddy to the range not too long ago. he tried 4 different guns and found the best fit for him, a springfield 9mm. his wanted dream gun is a desert eagle .50 cal. he tried it. hated it. so try try try first. compare prices then set out on the course that'll get that gun for you.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    What nunn said.

D.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cubslover
    quote:Originally posted by catpealer111

Yup, where's Kevin when you need him?
    I just woke up!

And yes I vote Rock Island Armory! Best Bang for the Buck. Much less expensive than any other 1911 but just as good as a Colt, Kimber, or Springfield, and will shoot with them all day long.

So take your pic, here are all the models avaible as I own them all![:D]
    IM000309.jpg
    IM000298.jpg
    IM000239.jpg
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ditto the .22 - Ruger Single Six

If you just have to have a .45 there are a lot of 1911 clones that are affordable.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is what I started out on. Smith K-22. 22 cal with a .38 feel and weight.http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=65091760
  • p64makp64mak Member Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try out a new Ruger 22-45 Mk III...
  • nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    glock and sig are well over 500 new. I think the Ruger is bulky looking. But he XD would be nice I also have a springfield 1911 GI model or MIl spec whatever it is. I got my Stainless one for 470 which i think would be hard to find, but you can get a blued one for probably under 450. I posted a pic below its not up close but on the right you can see my 1911.

A fully automatic weapon (a machine gun) is one that fires a succession of bullets so long as the trigger is depressed or until the ammunition supply is exhausted. In addition, any weapon that shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot automatically, more than one shot at a time by a single trigger pull, is legally considered to be a machine gun.  Submachine guns are fully automatic weapons that fire a handgun cartridge and can be operated by one person. Sometimes they are referred to as machine pistols.  A machine gun can normally fire between 400 and 1,000 rounds (bullets) per minute, or between 7 and 17 rounds per second.  Federal Firearms Regulations
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .22 for a first handgun, Nunn is right. Buckmark or for a centerfire feel a Neos.
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with the folks who question the wisdom of a .45 for your first pistol. I'd get a High Standard .22 semi-auto. (Their H-D is even better.) They are not all that expensive and they last for ever. And did I mention ... they are fun and cheap to shoot a lot!
  • JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Taurus makes a well made and inexpensive 1911-A1 in .45 ACP.

http://www.taurususa.com/products/gunselector-results.cfm
  • spurgemasturspurgemastur Member Posts: 5,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I completely understand the argument that a .22 makes the most sense for a first handgun, and I was given the same advice, but my first was a .357 and I never regretted it. If you're gonna lay out that kind of money, get something that brings you joy even if it does cost 10 times as much to learn how to shoot it.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Polite Psycho
    Taurus makes a well made and inexpensive 1911-A1 in .45 ACP.

http://www.taurususa.com/products/gunselector-results.cfm

The RIA Tactical has everything that the Tarus has and is just as good for about $100 less.
  • Jeepgod2002Jeepgod2002 Member Posts: 824 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger p345

Less bulky as the P90, looks and shoots good.
    100_0003.jpg
  • wrangler512wrangler512 Member Posts: 180 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the p345. I have one and it is a very good gun for the money and has alot of safety features that a person new to handguns might find helpful
  • tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ..Might consider a Llama .45, if you like the 1911 style. IMHO, you're not giving up anything in the way of reliability. That said, I have to agree with the .22 crowd. Or get a .357 or .38 revolver. It needn't be a Colt or Smith. Rossi, Llama, Charter Arms, Taurus....all can be had on a budget.
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for responding. I'll keep my eye open for anything used in the local shops. Thanks again,
  • moose56moose56 Member Posts: 468 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out the Taurus line of .45's. There website shows a 1911 style with all the bells and whistles for about $695 suggested retail.

Moose
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by moose56
    Check out the Taurus line of .45's. There website shows a 1911 style with all the bells and whistles for about $695 suggested retail.

Moose

Moose,
    Like I stated earlier, You can get the RIA Tactical. It has all the same stuff as the Tarus 1911 and are every bit as reliable. Full lifetime warentee and (as I chat with the national rep and the president of Armsor quite often) outstanding customer service. These can be gotten NIB for about $450.
    IM000309a.jpg
    IM000309.jpg
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    CZ97 is a terrific gun. But when I wanted to buy one, the guy in the gunshop asked if i had big enough hands for them. Sure enough, the grip was just too big for me to be able to shoot comfortably. Again, I think CZ's are pretty much the top of their price range in quality, but if you don't have big hands, the 97 may not be the gun for you.
  • tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    get it in 9mm or .22 so you can afford to shoot it
    edited November -1
    Check around for a good COLT sistama, You get Colt quality but for a lot less money.. around 400 will get a good one at most pawn shops..
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    The guys that are suggeting a .22 are correct.

Buy it and shoot 1,000 rounds a week for about $10.

You WILL becme good with a pistol.

By the way, 1,000 rounds of .45 ACP costs not less than $100.

D.
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you really can't resist theurge to purchase a .45, PLEASE do not waste any money on a Hi Point. Taurus or Springfield would be my choices in inexpensive .45's,but not my choice for 1st handgun. If an auto is desired it is hard to beat a Mark 3 Ruger. My first handgun was a model 19 smith in .357 and I still have it. You can shoot .38's for practice and move up later.
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...as others have stated...first hand gun, Id go for a .22... several good ones out there at reasonable prices.

Get to know it, and become proficient with it, then buy a real 1911, as in Colt...[:D]

OR, buy a .357...and shoot 38's until you are comfortable, then drop in some .357's...[;)]

...a couple, well three...
    A1wTXStar005.jpg
    CombatCommander001.jpg
    pix850967921.jpg

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
  • kiwibird1kiwibird1 Member Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1