In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Baby, it is cold outside and global warming is

plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
edited February 2007 in General Discussion
a myth.

Temp is going to drop hard by morning.

High until Sunday is predicted to be -17F with a low of -30F. I just hope the wind does not blow!!!

Comments

• Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
  • use enough gunuse enough gun Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well Dennis I'm a bit east of you, stop sending that stuff. It hits the Red River Valley and gets colder yet. I think I'll fire up my tunnel rammed 528 hemi today and release some more green house gasses and try and warm things up again.[:D]Dave
  • spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    Yeah, Friday in Denver it is supposed to get to 7 -- if we're lucky.
  • catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    I hear you there. The word is the base up here in Minot might be closed on Monday due to the cold.
  • cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Plains, you know the myth about Jan bing the coldest month but I'll have to say that feb alot of the time is a colder month.
  • Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by catpealer111
    I hear you there. The word is the base up here in Minot might be closed on Monday due to the cold.

You got to be kidding me?
  • 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm going on strike until the weather warms up to at least 90.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7
    I'm going on strike until the weather warms up to at least 90.
    Not hard to do when you are not working![:o)][;)][:D]

I know you are going on strike from looking![;)]
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    And now shortly after midnight following Ground Hog day it is not getting any warmer.

February can be tough. January was a piece of cake compared to this.

Oh well. The homeless problem has been solved in ND once again.[:p]
  • texaswildmantexaswildman Member Posts: 2,215 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cold weather.... that's the price you have to pay for not having flashers!

I was just south of Plains Scout one nice chilly (-25, -45 wind chill) day a few years back and had been outside for about 2 hours. After i jumped back in the truck, I learned never to wipe your nose until you thaw out. Half of your mustache on the hanky does not look cool....

Hang in there guys, put another log on the fire and make that cold day decision to buy that Pre 64 on GB...
  • 2-barrel2-barrel Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The balls on my brass monkey were laying in the snow this morning. [:D]
    edited November -1
    2 bbl! PICK THEM UP!! That has to be what is contributing to global cooling!!![:D]
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    ya but you have to remember were in the Dakotas it can be 60 one day and -20 the next

quote:Originally posted by cowdoc
    Plains, you know the myth about Jan bing the coldest month but I'll have to say that feb alot of the time is a colder month.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Plains, you know the myth about Jan bing the coldest month but I'll have to say that feb alot of the time is a colder month.

In point of fact, temperature records reveal that January averages the coldest, that is more cold days in January, though not necessarily the coldest individual days. Those are often the third week in December, the shortest days of the year. Feb. often seems harder on us though, perhaps because we are sick and tired of winter by then.
  • dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read a story years ago that said that some groups of Indians referred to February as "the blood month". It was likely due to the idea that they were getting worn or starved down to where the blood vessels were starting to show through, maybe even begin to rupture in some cases of exposure. Interesting thought, but I wasn't there to observe.[;)][:)]
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Balmy 1 degree outside with sustained winds over 20 MPH. Thank God for Global warming, I can't fathom how cold it might be without it.
  • wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,068
    edited November -1
    Now they are calling it Climate changes brought on by Greenhouse gas emmissions. I guess someone pointed out record snowfalls and low temps around the country.
  • catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Warpig883
    quote:Originally posted by catpealer111

You got to be kidding me?

They shut things down early on Friday because of the windchill. I doubt they will do it on Monday, I just overheard some Masters and Senior Masters talking about it.
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Read in the paper today that scientist now are saying global warming can not be reversed (duh)and we will be living in a totaly different world in 100 years. They didn't tell us this earlier because they didn't want to panic people. As I see it that statement could mean two things. One we have past the point of no return or more likely since mankind cannot change the weather we cannot reverse a natural occurance.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We are warming up.
    It's out of the sub-zero weather, and into the 20's.
    Headed for the 40's next week. [:D]
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...it's global warming it's * off around here...Jan was cold all month...went thru a little over half a cord of wood in Jan...working on the 2nd half now...and it's cold for the next week too, I like it, hell it will be 100+ too soon...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
    edited November -1
    More on the way. Winnipeg Manitoba today -44F
  • stevenrayspeckstevenrayspeck Member Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its just plain freezing here.[V]

I bet the gas companies are loving this weather.[:D]
  • jimkanejimkane Member Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wipala
    Now they are calling it Climate changes brought on by Greenhouse gas emmissions. I guess someone pointed out record snowfalls and low temps around the country.

I heard a "scientist" say that global warming could lead to warming or cooling temperatures, well that's rather convenient, whatever happens, they were right.
  • 2-barrel2-barrel Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by stevenrayspeck
    Its just plain freezing here.[V]

I bet the gas companies are loving this weather.[:D]

I hope so because I burn wood.[:D][:D]
  • alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
  • ObiWanObiWan Member Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We're getting some cold gusts in Guam. Cold Alaskan air got us down to 74* today.[:p]
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I don't understand why anyone of any intelligence would deny that the earth is becoming warmer.

2748_image_1-p.jpg

Ben
  • codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    I don't understand why anyone of any intelligence would deny that the earth is becoming warmer.

2748_image_1-p.jpg

Ben

But I don't understand why anyone of any intelligence could reasonably say it is the fault of humanity. Show my a pic of that icecap 10,000 years ago and we'll talk.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by codenamepaul
    But I don't understand why anyone of any intelligence could reasonably say it is the fault of humanity.

That's fine by me. As long as it is acknowledged as actually being real, and a threat to future generations. I just don't like it whn people blatantly ignore it as fact.

quote:Show my a pic of that icecap 10,000 years ago and we'll talk.

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2005/11/650000-years-of-greenhouse-gas-concentrations/
    edited November -1
    Try this Ben, it's from the front page of the Earth and Atmospheric Sciences Department at Purdue University.

"Given the current level of understanding of phenomena like hurricanes, extratropical cyclones, and severe thunderstorms-which result from complex interactions between many scales of motion in the atmosphere-it is difficult to skillfully predict if these weather phenomena will become something extraordinary ; a similar statement may be made for events such as an extended heat wave or seasonal flooding. Adding a sense of urgency to this already complicated problem are projections of more frequent, and perhaps more intense extreme events in future climates. The Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences is responding to this problem through its focus on Climate and Extreme Weather (CLEW), which seeks to: Understand and predict the physical and statistical behavior of extreme weather and climate events."

The point is that they just don't know. I have stated many times that knowing that cancer exists is not the same thing as knowing what caused it, or how to effect a cure.

All you have to do is watch to see just how much they are guessing about the strength, duration, direction, and even whether of not a hurricane is going to make landfall to realize that they just don't know. Educated guess, but guesses nonetheless.

Look, a warming trend exists, that much is a given, but there is ample proof that it has happened many times in the past, and they were not caused by automobile exhausts. This one may or may not be caused by man, but to make a declarative statement as to cause when you can't even predict rain accurately is the height of egocentric hubris.

Watch the ten day forecast for the weather, chart it to see just how much and how frequently it changes completely, and then tell me they really know for certain about the next one hundred years.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dlrjj
    Look, a warming trend exists, that much is a given, but there is ample proof that it has happened many times in the past, and they were not caused by automobile exhausts.

There is also ample proof that life as the earth knew it was changed dramatically by it.

I never said that humans caused it, but I do believe that it would be stupid for us to ignore it, or worse yet, deny it's very existance.

Ben
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    quote:Originally posted by dlrjj
    Look, a warming trend exists, that much is a given, but there is ample proof that it has happened many times in the past, and they were not caused by automobile exhausts.

There is also ample proof that life as the earth knew it was changed dramatically by it.

I never said that humans caused it, but I do believe that it would be stupid for us to ignore it, or worse yet, deny it's very existance.

Ben
    To deny that it is happening is just plain foolish, it's far to easy to simply look at the heat index charts. What to do about it, if anything, is an entirely different story. Certainly long range planning, even for things like where to build new housing, needs to consider what results might take effect. It would be a mistake to build right now based on an assumption that the ocean could not raise in the next few decades for instance. I don't want to be paying the bill for new water retention walls and for houses to be moved or raised. It will be interesting to watch.[;)][:)]