In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Climate change hits Mars

PC800PC800 Member Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2007 in General Discussion
http://tinyurl.com/33azkm
From The Sunday Times
April 29, 2007
Climate change hits Mars

Mars is being hit by rapid climate change and it is happening so fast that the red planet could lose its southern ice cap, writes Jonathan Leake.

Scientists from Nasa say that Mars has warmed by about 0.5C since the 1970s. This is similar to the warming experienced on Earth over approximately the same period.

Since there is no known life on Mars it suggests rapid changes in planetary climates could be natural phenomena.

The mechanism at work on Mars appears, however, to be different from that on Earth. One of the researchers, Lori Fenton, believes variations in radiation and temperature across the surface of the Red Planet are generating strong winds.

In a paper published in the journal Nature, she suggests that such winds can stir up giant dust storms, trapping heat and raising the planet's temperature.

Fenton's team unearthed heat maps of the Martian surface from Nasa's Viking mission in the 1970s and compared them with maps gathered more than two decades later by Mars Global Surveyor. They found there had been widespread changes, with some areas becoming darker.

When a surface darkens it absorbs more heat, eventually radiating that heat back to warm the thin Martian atmosphere: lighter surfaces have the opposite effect. The temperature differences between the two are thought to be stirring up more winds, and dust, creating a cycle that is warming the planet.

Comments

• 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How can they tell.
  • buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • ogreeogree Member Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess our SUV's are also the cause for MARS' global warming.
    I hate it when that happens.[:D]
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    quote:Zulu7:

How can they tell.

You should listen to Art Bell more often. He's had many Martians on the air
    telling of their experiences on and around Mars.[:o)]
  • spurgemasturspurgemastur Member Posts: 5,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's precisely why I don't worry about how much I drink when I drive.

It's proven that motor skills deteriorate naturally as BAC increases.

But nobody has ever proven that BAC > 0.08 kills. It is the CAR or sometimes the WALL or at other times the TREE that kills in that case, not the BAC.

Can somebody get me another drink, please?
  • spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by zipperzap
    quote:Zulu7:

How can they tell.

You should listen to Art Bell more often. He's had many Martians on the air
    telling of their experiences on and around Mars.[:o)]
    Why listen to Art Bell? Just ask *-R-Done here yourself. They're the same person.
  • 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spurgemastur

But nobody has ever proven that BAC > 0.08 kills. It is the CAR or sometimes the WALL or at other times the TREE that kills in that case, not the BAC.

Swing by my place, and you can have an entire 1/2 liter of Captain Morgan Original all to yourself.
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Must be caused by the probes we sent there.[:0] Guess that is our fault too!!
  • fu007danfu007dan Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7
    quote:Originally posted by spurgemastur

Swing by my place, and you can have an entire 1/2 liter of Captain Morgan Original all to yourself.

I'll take you up on that offer... [:D][:p]
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's Bush's fault for invading Iraq.
  • tobefreetobefree Member Posts: 7,401
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7
    How can they tell.

FlashMars_Rep.jpg
  • sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    Ah! Ha! a new cause for Al Gore! He can get all the liberals to send him more money to resolve the Mars global warming problem. He can make a movie and write a book. Will make a fortune and can buy another 6,000 sq ft home that uses 6 mg wts of electricity.
  • elvjeepelvjeep Member Posts: 988 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MARS is....[}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)]

22.gif
  • bobinwisbobinwis Member Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got a better idea...........Let's send Al Gore to Mars. He can generate enough wind to reverse the direction and force the temperature to drop. Maybe Hillary and the Queen Bee will fit in the same space ship.

Regards, Bob
  • RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    Now, if we can just get algore and all the high priests and priestesses of the human-caused global warming religion to HIT MARS, as well, then we can go on with life as usual here on the 3rd rock.
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I posted this a few months ago...it seems as if the "warming" that we are experiencing is a solar event.