In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Illegals flee Ariz. amid new laws, slow economy

180A180A Member Posts: 828 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2020 in Politics
Illegals flee Ariz. amid new laws, slow economy
Crackdown leading migrants to return home or try their luck elsewhere

PHOENIX - Illegal immigrants in Arizona, frustrated with a flagging economy and tough new legislation cracking down on their employers, are returning to their home countries or trying their luck in other states.
For months, immigrants have taken a wait-and-see attitude toward the state's new employer-sanctions law, which takes effect Jan. 1. The voter-approved legislation is an attempt to lessen the economic incentive for illegal immigrants in Arizona, the busiest crossing point along the U.S.-Mexico border.
And by all appearances, it's starting to work.

"People are calling me telling me about their friend, their cousin, their neighbors - they're moving back to Mexico," said Magdalena Schwartz, an immigrant-rights activist and pastor at a Mesa church. "They don't want to live in fear, in terror."
Martin Herrera, a 40-year-old illegal immigrant and masonry worker who lives in Camp Verde, 70 miles north of Phoenix, said he is planning to return to Mexico as soon as he ties up loose ends after living here for four years.
"I don't want to live here because of the new law and the oppressive environment," he said. "I'll be better in my country."

He called the employer-sanctions law "absurd."

"Everybody here, legally or illegally, we are part of a motor that makes this country run," Herrera said. "Once we leave, the motor is going to start to slow down."

Bill's author: `I'm hoping they will self-deport'

There's no way to know how many illegal immigrants are leaving Arizona, especially now with many returning home for normal holidays visits. But economists, immigration lawyers and people who work in the immigrant community agree it's happening.
State Rep. Russell Pearce of Mesa, the author of the employer sanctions law, said his intent was to drive illegal immigrants out of Arizona.
"I'm hoping they will self-deport," Pearce said. "They broke the law. They're criminals."
Under the employer sanctions law, businesses found to have knowingly hired illegal workers will be subject to sanctions from probation to a 10-day suspension of their business licenses. A second violation would bring permanent revocation of the license.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22370480/

Comments

• magmag Member Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like how the 'university researcher' says that they are 'taking their job with them'.

IMHO, the current real estate debacle was directly caused by the illegals. Many of the houses that are currently being foreclosed on would not even have been built yet if not for the huge numbers of illegals working 7 day weeks. Now that the building boom is turning into a bust the illegals just go home and wait for the next up turn.
  • rdcinmnrdcinmn Member Posts: 655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bet more of them are moving to "others states" than returning are returning to their "home countries"
  • mr_floppymr_floppy Member Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm putting my money on Sheriff Joe

quote: Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio has been using ICE-trained deputies to crack down on undocumented immigrants for months.

Immigration-rights advocates and many Latino community leaders fear that using local police to enforce immigration laws will lead to widespread ethnic profiling and civil-rights violations. They also are concerned that immigrants, many of whom already are wary of police, will become more reluctant to report crimes out of fear that they will be arrested and deported.
  • joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quote: " Magdalena Schwartz, an immigrant-rights activist and pastor at a Mesa church. "They don't want to live in fear, in terror."
    Martin Herrera, a 40-year-old illegal immigrant and masonry worker who lives in Camp Verde, 70 miles north of Phoenix, said he is planning to return to Mexico as soon as he ties up loose ends after living here for four years. c

"They" dont have to live in fear, in terror. Just immigrate according to law and no problems. And as far as his quote, ""I don't want to live here because of the new law and the oppressive environment," he said. "I'll be better in my country.". Him and the other 12,000,000 Illegals caused this new law and I too will be glad to see him go back in his own country.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hope it is working, and continues to work.
    It is the plan that all states need to follow, since the Feds ain't doing the job.
    Oklahoma has already done it,........Florida is "debating" a similar law.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With the idiots in Washington they will end up on welfare and won't go home. It might hurt for a while but the 89 Billion a year in all Social cost it will save will help all of us. ICE is so restricted by our Government they can't get the job done, Never let your guard down the enemies are working full time to break our country down.If they support the illegals they must be voted out.