In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

California pigs

DonldDonld Member Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2003 in General Discussion
No, I'm not talking about our unesteemed Senators or even the hapless legislature here. I bought my new hunting license yesterday and decided to go ahead and get the five wild pig tags for a tad over nine dollars. Problem is, I really have no idea where one can find wild pigs here in the Southern Califonia Inland Empire region. I hike and camp in the wilds here every weekend and never never seen one or, as far as I know, any sign of one. Anyone know where I might get a shot at one of these without paying through the nose to take a guided hunt on private land?

Comments

• FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What county are ya in? Los Podres ain't to bad. King city is another good place. During the heat of the day they will bed down and not move to much. But the last one I got was up in redding and I got him along a river bed or just up from there. Water is the Key or a mud hole and it seems they will hang in the Manzanita brush outa sight. But if you see one, there are more near by. Also I have found many in the ravines (if ya hunt the ridge tops and look down into)

3 weeks ago I ran across a few 300 to 400 poundes crossing HWY 1 just north of Hearst Castle (protected area)[:(!]

hope that helps-[:)]

hsas157x100.gif
    gun1.gif

"I know Everything!"

"My Wife is a Hair Stylist"
  • SilverBoxSilverBox Member Posts: 2,347
    edited November -1
    In one of the .pdf's on the Cali fish and game website there is a map of cali and the areas where pigs are found, mostly in the eastern sections of the state as I recall.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    PS What ever area you are in Find a meat Prosser near buy, unless you plan to pack a ton of ice after ya gut and skin it! The 100 to 150 pound range (I think) tastes the best. Working to hunt some priviate land myself here in Central CA.

hsas157x100.gif
    gun1.gif

"I know Everything!"

"My Wife is a Hair Stylist"
  • 101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Plenty of wild pigs in Moreno Valley and Riverside, okay-you left yourself open.[:)]
    Heard of some being harvested on the back side of Silverwood Lake.
    Good luck! 101
  • will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    I'm going to Vandenberg this weekend and Labor day and I know they have plenty there but you got to be Military or retired to hunt there. Get anywhere near Paso Robles and San Luis Obispo, that should get you in the parking lot anyway. I hunt in Parkfield near Coalinga and we may be planning a trip in September.

"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend."
    ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • DonldDonld Member Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. I hike mostly in the San Bernardino/Riverside County areas, but have done all of the Pacific Crest Trail from the Mexican border to well into Kern County. Redding and Coalinga are a bit too far north for a casual hike/hunt, which is what I'm faced with since my wife always hikes with me. I was in the Navy back in the 60's, but did my three years kiddy cruiser and got out, so I doubt I'd be allowed to hunt on a military base except as someone's guest. I'll make a point of packing my .357 when I'm hiking around lake Silverwood from now on. Nobody on the site has a huge chunk of private land that really NEEDS hunters, huh?
  • Norman DogNorman Dog Member Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out this website:

http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/calhog.html

I think that you will find that wild pigs are scarce in your area. Throughout California, although there is a large population, most of the pig hunting opportunities are on private land. That's not to say that you can't find them on public land, just not as easily. The best venue closest to you would be the Pig-O-Rama put on several times a year at Fort Tejon Ranch. I've heard only good things about their operation and the quality of the hunting. The drawback is the price - $300 for the weekend. The link above has lots of info that is California-specific. If you find your way to their discussion forum, you'll find many participants from Southern California who will be willing to help you out. Good Luck!

Ideas are far more powerful than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas?

-- Joseph Stalin--
  • DonldDonld Member Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great link, Norman Dog, one that answered virtually all my questions. Many thanks.