In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Do you know what a machine-gun is ?

dcinffxvadcinffxva Member Posts: 2,830 ✭✭
edited February 2007 in General Discussion
According to the laws of Washington DC, I'll bet most of you have one.

(a) "Pistol," as used in this chapter, means any firearm with a barrel less than 12 inches in length.
(b) "Sawed-off shotgun," as used in this chapter, means any shotgun with a barrel less than 20 inches in length.
(c) "Machine gun," as used in this chapter, means any firearm which shoots automatically or semiautomatically more than 12 shots without reloading.

I don't know when they slipped that into the code.

Comments

• 65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I guess that those fixed mags will also be out. Like some of those .22lr rifles. [:(!][:(!][:(!]
  • catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    So, what you're saying is, my Marlin 60 is a machine gun. A wolf in sheep's clothing. I always knew it was evil. I'm going to turn it into the proper athorities asap.
  • spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    Well lucky for me I don't have any guns. I just collect owner's manuals for guns... that way I can dream about them and I don't have any of the dangers associated with owning evil, nasty guns.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    And a shotgun with a factory 18.5 inch slug barrel is a sawed-off.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow, I have more machine guns than I thought [8D][8D].
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Wow, that must be the dreaded 13+ barreled guns..

A fullyautomatic/semiautomatic gun, fires one, reloads, fires one, reloads, fires...

But I guess, that's all in how you reads and interprets it.
  • nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont know if your joking or misread some info, but I dont think that is correct every web site i found gave a defintion like this

A fully automatic weapon (a machine gun) is one that fires a succession of bullets so long as the trigger is depressed or until the ammunition supply is exhausted. In addition, any weapon that shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot automatically, more than one shot at a time by a single trigger pull, is legally considered to be a machine gun.

Submachine guns are fully automatic weapons that fire a handgun cartridge and can be operated by one person. Sometimes they are referred to as machine pistols.

A machine gun can normally fire between 400 and 1,000 rounds (bullets) per minute, or between 7 and 17 rounds per second.

Federal Firearms Regulations
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcinffxva
    (c) "Machine gun," as used in this chapter, means any firearm which shoots automatically or semiautomatically more than 12 shots without reloading.When deciphering legalese you can't take things out of context.

I agree that this is a screwed up definition, but could you post the entire chapter or a link so we'll know what this is in reference to.
  • elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    My Rossi pump will hold something like 16 .22 shorts. I'll destroy it immediately ...
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Txs
    (c) "Machine gun," as used in this chapter, means any firearm which shoots automatically or semiautomatically more than 12 shots without reloading.When deciphering legalese you can't take things out of context.

I agree that this is a screwed up definition, but could you post the entire chapter or a link so we'll know what this is in reference to.
    According to the laws of Washington DC
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimberkid
    Originally posted by dcinffxva
    According to the laws of Washington DCWithin a state or local jurisdiction's laws/ordinances, the precise definition of a word can be different from one chapter to the next. Each chapter will begin with the necessary definitions, which is the portion that was C&P'ed here.

This is why I'd like to see what this particular chapter actually addresses.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nards444
    I dont know if your joking or misread some info, but I dont think that is correct every web site i found gave a defintion like this

A fully automatic weapon (a machine gun) is one that fires a succession of bullets so long as the trigger is depressed or until the ammunition supply is exhausted. In addition, any weapon that shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot automatically, more than one shot at a time by a single trigger pull, is legally considered to be a machine gun.

Submachine guns are fully automatic weapons that fire a handgun cartridge and can be operated by one person. Sometimes they are referred to as machine pistols.

A machine gun can normally fire between 400 and 1,000 rounds (bullets) per minute, or between 7 and 17 rounds per second.

Federal Firearms Regulations

He is talking about THE LAW in Washington, D. C., not the definition of a machine gun as described in United States law or as described by most states and as universally understood by people who know what a machine gun is.

Washington D. C. Code
    Division IV Criminal Law And Procedures And Prisoners
    Title 22. Criminal Offenses And Penalties.
    Subtitle VI. Regulation And Possession Of Weapons.
    Chapter 45. Weapons And Possession Of Weapons.
    DC CODE D. IV, T. 22, Subt. VI, Ch. 45, References and Annotations
    ? 22-4501. Definitions.

(a) "Pistol," as used in this chapter, means any firearm with a barrel less than 12 inches in length.

(b) "Sawed-off shotgun," as used in this chapter, means any shotgun with a barrel less than 20 inches in length.

(c) "Machine gun," as used in this chapter, means any firearm which shoots automatically or semiautomatically more than 12 shots without reloading.

(d) "Person," as used in this chapter, includes individual, firm, association, or corporation.

(e) "Sell" and "purchase" and the various derivatives of such words, as used in this chapter, shall be construed to include letting on hire, giving, lending, borrowing, and otherwise transferring.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • dcinffxvadcinffxva Member Posts: 2,830 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry....didn't mean to mislead anyone.

The C&P was from packingdotorg's webpage on gun-laws throughout the country. I posted it just because my friends across the river have decided that according to their laws, every cop on the street carrying a Glock is now armed with a machine-gun.
  • Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nards, don't worry about it.....remember, the government knows best