In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Virus question

SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2002 in General Discussion
Hey, my brother got a virus on his computer.

He can't open any programs because whatever he has, instead will send him to a website that is trying to sell him antivirus software.

He's running windows xp.

any ideas?

Comments

• SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My norton anti-virus said an e-mail i got had the klez virus in it.I deleted the virus to my trash bin and then to be safe deleted the whole trash bin...question Am I done?? Is there any way that this can get to my computer after I have deleted it? I know that info can be retrieved after you delete it but I didnt know about virus's.I have been burned twice by virus's and it costs $100 a pop to get it all fixed.Ive gotten the newest norton and it caught it I just wanted to make sure that Im doing all I can to keep fom getting screwed again

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,RUSTY WALLACE FAN AND AS EVERYONE SO OFTEN POINTS OUT PISS POOR TYPIST e-mail:WNUNLEY@USIT.NET
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sub --
    Make sure there is nothing in your "Exclusions" list on Norton Antivirus' preferences. You don't want anything on the list that Norton DOESN'T check. After clearing the Exclusions list, run another virus check on your entire computer. If it doesn't find it, either in your files or your Restore archives, you should be okay. If you want to cross check, you can download a Klez-specific utility from BitDefender.com that runs in Safe Mode (start computer while holding down F1) and will also check for Klez. Norton is the best there is, but it never hurts to run a second scan (but don't install other full virus software like McAfee, whatever you do, just keep Norton updated).
  • concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good call, offeror. The only thing is that if you're running Windows 95/98/ME you'll want to hit F5, not F1 (many computer systems will enter the BIOS setup if you hold F1 during the boot sequence).

SUBMARINER, you should be fine now. Just be sure that your Norton anti-virus is receiving the latest signature updates and you'll be fine. I might also recommend running a free utility called Tiny Personal Firewall. You can download it from http://www.download.com

Good luck,
    G36

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
    edited November -1
    concealed -- Between us, we'll get this computer clean yet. You're right, I was going from memory and I don't use Safe Mode that often -- I think you used to hold the Shift key. Anyway, your suggestion is good too. By the way, thanks. If I need Safe Mode again soon, I'll certainly be glad for that tip.
  • SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanx I scanned everything and came up empty,so it must be gone.and after the last time i set my norton up to automatic update

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,RUSTY WALLACE FAN AND AS EVERYONE SO OFTEN POINTS OUT PISS POOR TYPIST e-mail:WNUNLEY@USIT.NET
    edited November -1
    Sub --

Ask for Norton Firewall for the holidays. The latest virii tend to be of the trojan and worm variety, and you can get added protection by installing Norton Firewall, which will block attempts to access your computer by other computers via trojans like Backdoor. You can be infected by email or by downloads you do of software from public sites or P2P applications like Kazaa.
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Norton Internet Security includes their personal firewall, the anti-virus and some other goodies to monitor email, etc. As a suite, it's pretty complete. I use it as my 'super linebacker' with Black Ice as the front line. Black Ice gets most hack attempts much less intrusively than Norton (flashihng icon vs. pop-up window). Since I went to this configuration several years ago I've not (yet!) had a virus or any other malware get through, nor any successful hacks.

Browsing the net without good security is as likely to result in infection as contracting AIDS from unprotected sex in sub-Saharan Africa.