In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Another Pink Floyd question

CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
edited January 2008 in General Discussion
Was Roger Waters one of the original band members?

Comments

• CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes.

If you are a fan, watch his The Wall concert in Berlin.

What a production!
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    No. He was not.

Ben
  • soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    Roger,Syd ,Nick and Rick
    edited November -1
    You're right Ben. Sorry, band was formed in 64, Waters joined in 65.
    edited November -1
    yes, He was. whoops. He didn't sing, or song write until after Barrett's departure.

Ben
    edited November -1
    Oh by the way,which one`s pink?
    edited November -1
    Well I think regardless, they were all childhood friends, so even if Roger wasn't in the band, he was there the entire time.

Ben
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When did David Gilmore join up?
    edited November -1
    He started filling in, January '68. A full time member shortly thereafter.

He is Syd's Replacement.

His solo stuff is just fantastic. I have his "On an Island" DVD. Phenomenal.
  • rmeyerrmeyer Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rogers was an original member. Band was formed in '65.
    http://home.nvg.org/~oyvind/chapter24/History/
    Wife and I saw him twice this year. Not crazy about his politics but the show was awesome.
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cubslover
    Yes.

If you are a fan, watch his The Wall concert in Berlin.

What a production!

"The Wall" is awesome isn't it. A true "thinking man's" concept album. In which if one takes the individual songs out of context or at "face value", you'll probably not really "Get it".
    One has to listen to the entire record, perhaps several times, to begin to understand what's going on.
    It's about one man's anti-social behavior. And the listed "bricks in the wall" aren't as much about people/events where he was abused. But as his anti social preceptions of these events in his life. Many of which, such as his preceived abuse by teachers and his wifes infedelity, are caused BY HIM. And thus in the 1st part of the album, he lists the reasons he determines to build an emotional wall between himself and the world. "Young Lust"in which he turns to a young groupie for help, who immediately fixates on his posessions rather than HIM is the final brick. And his "One of my Turns" followed by "Don't leave me now" depict that it's HIS anti social and perhaps even violent reactions that are the problem.
    By mid record he completed the wall. And now begins to realize and lament that he's alone. By shutting out the preceived bad in the world, he has also shut out the good. And any hope of things getting better.
    "Nobody Home" is him taking stock of the meger poseesions he has brought behind the wall. All that he has left vs. what he had or could have.
    The song "Vera" is also an interesting case in point. Vera Lynn was a popular singer in England during WW-2 who's songs promised the return of "Blue Skies" and that "We'll meet again some sunny day" hope that the war will be won and things will return to a happy norm. The song suggests that he now understands that by building the wall, he has removed any chance of this happening for him.
    "Comfortably Numb" is another interesting dialoge in which he attempts to resist help from a doctor brought by promoters to further "use him" and his talents. "This is not how I am" is his attempt to come to grips w/what he has become vs. "the good person" trapped inside. And recalls and laments the loss of his child like innocence.
    Now he teeters on the brink of total madness in the form of a completely anti-social Facist Hitler type persona that he calls "The Worm". Which hits it's peek in "In the Flesh" where he changes the words of his song to deliver a truely hatefull performance.
    Realizing what he done, he now puts HIMSELF and his regretfull "feelings of an almost human nature" for what he has become, on trial in his mind. Which is perhaps the most important part of the record. With "The Worm" as judge and "The Bricks" as those who testify against him.
    He pronouces himself guilty and sentences himself to the thing he fears most, yet longs for. To tear down the wall, which is actually his salvation.
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow, great analysis FatStrat! The Wall is a superb album and the Roger Waters concert in Berlin was a tremendous production.
    By the way, what kind of Strat do you have?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chris8161
    Wow, great analysis FatStrat! The Wall is a superb album and the Roger Waters concert in Berlin was a tremendous production.
    By the way, what kind of Strat do you have?

Currently I don't own any electric guitars. My hands went south on me and my fingers are nearly numb. (Feel like 2 baloons)
    I believe it's advanced carpul tunnel which I have an appointment w/a doctor to discuss treatment. But I gave up electric guitar playing a few years back because I couldn't feel the strings. And one by one, sold off my Electric guitars. Still have 4 acoustic's tho.
    Altho the Telecaster was always my fav electric guitar, over the years I owned several Strats. Mostly Mexican and Japanese mades, w/the best one being a '69 Sunburst. The "Fatstrat" that I adopted my online name from was an early Squire Fatstrat model.
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    When did Floyd join?

cast_pic_floyd.gif
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    I saw a Floyd concert on PBS a couple months ago. It looked like a poster child for liberal activism. Thousands of people with all these liberal political signs all over the audience. And even the band had video backdrops of anti-Bush stuff during some of their songs. All very political. VERY DISAPPOINTING![:(!]

Well ya gotta remember that they are British. In which case I tend to just expect a certain amount of negitive American sentiment. Being as even tho we've helped them several ties, they apparently still haven't gotten over us kinking their butts out of our country.
    I don't mind it as much as American traitors.